2020 Tokyo Olympics

Lineker

5 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

When the country in question has a history of cheating, allowing their athletes to participate - no matter whether they're doped up or clean - is a slap in the faces of the other countries. 

The bolded bit is key here. Punish the system, not the people from the country who follow the rules.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Baddar said:

A first ever medal for San Marino!

Particularly great for Perilli after she missed out in the three way shoot-off for bronze in 2012. 

I want to see a comedy skit or an ad with Simone Biles where someone else is like "No, I'm not Simone Biles. I'm just some dipshit. But buy our product!"

• Haha 3

Djokovic lost in men's singles to Zverev. That fucker better not win the gold, disappointed he at least gets a silver.

Djokovic can still win an Olympic gold in mixed doubles however, but the "Golden Slam" as it is called is now out of reach.

Exciting time in women's soccer - Canada knocked off Brazil in penalties. Australia and GB are in extra time right now. Sweden and Japan playing a close one. And the US-Netherlands just kicked off.

Heavy favorites on the 4x400m mixed relay, USA, just got DQ'd in the first heat after crossing first because they violated a rule on starting to run outside the takeover zone (every 4 years I'm reminded of the ridiculous nuance of T&F rules).

I don't like the notion of "if you can't do a cartwheel, you can't criticize Simone Biles"

You don't have to be an elected official to have a strong opinion on elected officials.  You don't have to be a director to criticize a terrible film.

The people criticizing Simone Biles, calling her a snowflake who quit on her team amongst other horrible things absolutely should be getting called out.  But not because of a lack of athleticism.  They should be called out for their lack of empathy and basic human decency.

• Like 9

Also every gymnast has basically said the twisties are very real and absolutely terrifying. The fact she didn't land on her head on the vault is impressive enough based on what I've read others say. It's like the yips in baseball but instead of overthrowing the 1B by a mile you land on your head and get paralyzed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, damshow said:

USWNT should have won this match with ease but a ton of disallowed goals plus some incredibly close chances means we're headed to penalties.

Now I can exhale and go back to work.

Netherlands were by far the better team in this match, and Naeher saved their ass. Saved a penalty in regular time and made a ton of saves. USWNT scoring disallowed goals does not mean they should've won. It means that Press and Morgan understand the offside rule about as well as Timo Werner.

That said, US is bound to get into the Finals I think given Canada upset Brazil on penalties.