X-BOX Megathread 2021

To be honest I use mine as a media machine more than anything else (like 1st or 2nd gen XBone). Probably going to reup my GamePass subscription at some point just so I can play MLB The Show 21 some more, though.

3 hours ago, CLDY said:

To be honest I use mine as a media machine more than anything else (like 1st or 2nd gen XBone). Probably going to reup my GamePass subscription at some point just so I can play MLB The Show 21 some more, though.

When I bought the Series S I had totally forgotten that it had an internet browser and they sell movies/TV shows in their store. I'm happy about those two things. Also the Xbox is, besides my laptop and phone, the only thing I can access the Discovery+ app on. PS5? No app. My smart TV? Same thing. I hate casting to my TV from my laptop, so that works out for me.

Game Pass is pretty great, I've downloaded and started a bunch of things that otherwise I absolutely never would have bought. American McGee's Alice, Black, Last Stop, Dante's Inferno, Mirror's Edge, etc. Some of those are good, yeah, but the main reason why I wouldn't have bought any of those is I think it's crazy something like Mirror's Edge, from two generations ago, is like $15. I know they get to set the price since it's their marketplace, but if I had a Series X, I'm positive I could get copies of all those games (minus Last Stop) for $15, maybe even less.

I believe the Series X is still in very short supply. The Series S on the other hand is more readily available now. I got one a few months back and its a swish console in its own right. 

I think it's one of the reasons why Microsoft has really accelerated its push for better game streaming provision. Quite a few of the games coming in the next year and beyond will be next-gen exclusive on a hardware level, but will be streamable on the Xbox One, PC and certain phones and tablets. You can already stream quite a few Game Pass games, although your results will depend on your own internet connection.

22 hours ago, FLiam said:

So what’s the deal with the new consoles? When are they going to be readily available? I look online and they’re going for like $700+. :huh:

A story came out yesterday, that a lot of people picked up, that supposedly it won't be until mid-to-late 2022, or early 2023, if that chip shortage keeps up.

nowinstock.net is a good resource, it's how I got my Series S from Gamestop.

• Sad 2

The Series S games usually target 1440p resolution because its graphical power is inferior to that of the Series X. It has 4k upscaling in games, but it isn't native. Video streaming in 4k is possible, though.

The console still runs most games at 60fps and has the same SSD as the Series X, so loading times are just as good. The main drawbacks are lower storage capacity and weaker graphical capability. Mind you, I've seen footage of Microsoft Flight Simulator running on Series S and it looks really impressive. This is a game that good PCs struggle to run, yet the Series S can handle a 30fps frame rate with what would be considered "High" graphical settings on a PC.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2021 at 09:32, FLiam said:

So what’s the deal with the new consoles? When are they going to be readily available? I look online and they’re going for like $700+. :huh:

It's getting worse before it gets better. Expectation is by October when the holiday rush hits demand will surge as parents try to track these down for Christmas. Then it'll take most of 2022 to stabilize, and that's assuming the chip shortage doesn't continue.

The site Tristy shared is good. I also got alerts on Twitter from @mattswider (he posts about PS5, Xbox, and GPU drops the minute they go up on websites). One of those things where the second I got the notification I had to drop everything, but there's more often than not indications before the drops that they're happening that day and close to the time they do.

I tried around 20 drops to finally secure my PS5. It's honestly a bit of just needing to get acclimated with how the drops work (most retailers don't release all the inventory at once, so hang out on their site for 30 minutes or so trying to catch it just as more goes up for sale) and luck. Your odds are the same every time, the more you try the better off you'll be.

Also the best suggestion I got (that I didn't go for because I didn't like what they included) is to aim for a bundle. They stay available longer though they obviously do cost more.

• Like 1

Think I’ll just ride it out and wait until they’re more easily accessible. I’ll hold out for the Series X. 

It’s just that my original Xbox One really does struggle with some of the newer games now. Some really don’t hit even 30fps consistently and a lot of the games even look fairly grainy.

2 hours ago, Baddar said:

Everything I've heard/read about the Series S is that it's a great console for the price, and a big upgrade on something like the One S.

Its quicker than my One X

• 2 weeks later...