X-BOX Megathread 2021

art of rally came out on Gamepass today (and other consoles as well) and my god, is it chill. I really enjoy it. I usually dislike driving games where you can't just hold down the accelerator the entire time, but the simple nature of this one is really doing it for me.

A guy on Reddit was asking what games he should try on his new Series S, and I recommended Katana Zero, Dead Cells, Star Renegades, Dead Space, Ori, Hades and Hellblade.

Then the official Xbox account on Reddit replied and said I had good taste in games 😂

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, iDOL said:

The way both Sony and Microsoft have rolled out the next gen consoles with the online only BS has made me give up on even purchasing one of the consoles this generation. I’ll stick with Nintendo.

The initial roll-out and how it's been since last November is partially, or all, due to COVID and lockdown still being in place around that time. I imagine if we ever get over the hump with COVID and when the chip shortage is fixed, that stores will actually have them on the shelves instead of doing strictly online purchases. To that end - the Series S has been in stock at several stores apparently, if the pictures on the Series S subreddit is any indication.

On 12/08/2021 at 18:23, apsham said:

art of rally came out on Gamepass today (and other consoles as well) and my god, is it chill. I really enjoy it. I usually dislike driving games where you can't just hold down the accelerator the entire time, but the simple nature of this one is really doing it for me.

I downloaded this last night after Hades, and whenever I boot up Art of Rally, it just keeps asking me to press a button to continue, select a profile... then it asks me to the same thing, over and over. Never goes into the actual game.

2 minutes ago, tristy said:

The initial roll-out and how it's been since last November is partially, or all, due to COVID and lockdown still being in place around that time. I imagine if we ever get over the hump with COVID and when the chip shortage is fixed, that stores will actually have them on the shelves instead of doing strictly online purchases. To that end - the Series S has been in stock at several stores apparently, if the pictures on the Series S subreddit is any indication.

I downloaded this last night after Hades, and whenever I boot up Art of Rally, it just keeps asking me to press a button to continue, select a profile... then it asks me to the same thing, over and over. Never goes into the actual game.

I get that there is a chip shortage, but the online only roll out has made it a scalper’s paradise. Bots buy up all of the stock and they get resold for two times the price. It’s pretty disgusting. I have no desire to buy an inferior S model either when they’ll probably turn around and release a revised model a couple years from now.

6 minutes ago, iDOL said:

I get that there is a chip shortage, but the online only roll out has made it a scalper’s paradise. Bots buy up all of the stock and they get resold for two times the price. It’s pretty disgusting. I have no desire to buy an inferior S model either when they’ll probably turn around and release a revised model a couple years from now.

I get that, but they don't care about scalpers and shit. And I only brought up the Series S as an example of a next-gen console finally starting to pop up in actual stores, so there's hope for the PS5 and Series X doing the same soon/eventually. I'm no fan of the online only rollout, trust me. But I've been extremely lucky this time around, with managing to get an invite from Sony to buy the PS5 in September 2020 and then finding the Series S (before it started appearing in-store all over the place seemingly). The Series S was always a little bit easier to get, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iDOL said:

I forgot that the Series S is all digital. That’s a hard pass on that alone for me 😕

Yeah, I understand that. The one thing that the Series S has over the digital PS5 though is that you can actually redeem game codes from places like CDKeys and whatnot, so that does help. I've only bought two games since I've had the Series S (Mortal Shell & Mafia Trilogy), the rest of what I've been playing is stuff from GamePass.

But I do have a digital PS5, and sometimes it does suck being locked into their storefront. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart won't be cheap for a long time, but I know if I had a physical edition console I could find the game on a place like eBay or something for a price I'm willing to pay. But the upside is that I don't have a ton of games cluttering my living space anymore.

It's a trade off, I can see why it's not appealing to a lot of people.

I actually want the discless PS5 over the regular one. The thing with the Series S for me, is that it's under-powered compared to the Series X. While the PS5 Digital Only console is exactly the same as the standard PS5, only without the disc tray.

Regardless, I haven't seen a single unit of any of them in the wild, so it'll be some time before I even have to make that decision.

I'm not prepared to go all-digital yet. I'm not opposed to buying games digitally, but being locked into one online store isn't something I want to deal with. On PC, most games are redeemed through Steam or Epic, but there are lots of official places you can buy the codes, meaning that it's easier to find a good deal.

Last year, I paid £40 for Final Fantasy Remake. It arrived a week before the official launch date. If I'd bought it digitally, I'd have had to wait another week and pay an additional £20, and then I wouldn't have been able to sell it or lend it to someone else.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gabriel said:

I actually want the discless PS5 over the regular one. The thing with the Series S for me, is that it's under-powered compared to the Series X. While the PS5 Digital Only console is exactly the same as the standard PS5, only without the disc tray.

This is exactly what I did!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gabriel said:

The console itself looks a lot sleeker without the disc tray too, if you're one of those people that cares about aesthetics.

16 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I'm not prepared to go all-digital yet. I'm not opposed to buying games digitally, but being locked into one online store isn't something I want to deal with. On PC, most games are redeemed through Steam or Epic, but there are lots of official places you can buy the codes, meaning that it's easier to find a good deal.

You can do this with the Series X/S. Not sure what sites work, but I know CDKeys does at least. Over on the Sony side, yeah, you're locked into their storefront.

There's a site called Eneba I keep seeing come up. Not tried it personally but I suspect it's one of these shady gray market type sites like that one that was selling keys bought with stolen credit cards.

Witcher 3 seems to be available on there for like £1.66 so, yeah, pretty cheap.

12 Minutes is an interesting experience. Played it for about 2.5 hours last night before I was getting frustrated I wasn't making progress (seemingly). I looked up a walk-through, and I had found a good portion of the info I needed.

5 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

12 Minutes is an interesting experience. Played it for about 2.5 hours last night before I was getting frustrated I wasn't making progress (seemingly). I looked up a walk-through, and I had found a good portion of the info I needed.

Well, that got moon logic-y and....

Spoiler

Incest-y.

6 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I can't get 12 Minutes to launch on PC without crashing. I tried it on Xbox and it really seems like a pain to control without a mouse.

Yeah, it wasn't great with a controller.