X-BOX Megathread 2021

I feel Madden just... hasn't changed much over the last 4-5 iterations. It's nice to play with a new coat of paint and up-to-date rosters, but its fundamentally the same / very similar. 

• Like 1

Looking to make a couple positive posts to counteract my bile filled freak outs.

I haven't enjoyed any new games in like a really long time but I am strangely in love with "The Artful Escape". It's not exactly complicated to play and has some really wild and fun characters. You are a folk singer trying to move out of the shadow of your dead uncle who was a megastar. Then a wild Bootsy Collins type character  who may or may not be an Alien and is voiced by Carl freaking Weathers shows up! That's all I'll say but it's on Game Pass so give it a shot :D 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Looking to make a couple positive posts to counteract my bile filled freak outs.

I haven't enjoyed any new games in like a really long time but I am strangely in love with "The Artful Escape". It's not exactly complicated to play and has some really wild and fun characters. You are a folk singer trying to move out of the shadow of your dead uncle who was a megastar. Then a wild Bootsy Collins type character  who may or may not be an Alien and is voiced by Carl freaking Weathers shows up! That's all I'll say but it's on Game Pass so give it a shot :D 

The Artful Escape is one of the most surprisingly enjoyable games I've experienced in a while. It looks and sounds fantastic. Some people won't be keen on the lack of challenging gameplay, but I don't think it needs it. It's a relaxing experience with memorable moments, and that's just fine.

Have you tried Psychonauts 2 yet? That's on Game Pass as well. I had a lot of fun with it.

6 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Have you tried Psychonauts 2 yet? That's on Game Pass as well. I had a lot of fun with it.

I want to but I keep thinking I want to replay the first one because I don't really remember it. I doubt I will ever actually do that though so I should just jump in to 2

7 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I want to but I keep thinking I want to replay the first one because I don't really remember it. I doubt I will ever actually do that though so I should just jump in to 2

You get a full recap of the first game, along with the VR follow-up, at the beginning of 2. You really don't need to go back to the first to understand what's going on.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Downloaded 'I am Fish' from Gamepass based on the premise alone.

Presumably the sequel to I am Bread and not some form of interactive story based on the great Phil Fish?

And between bread and fish, I feel there's a joke about Jesus feeding the 5000 in here somewhere...

Unless it's drastically changed since the original, I wouldn't say it's any more difficult than similar games of that ilk. Even if you're struggling, there's going to be ways around it by finding better gear or grinding a bit to get more levels or skills. Plus you'll have a library of builds to follow online if need be. I can't remember what the meta was at the time, I remember the 'Hammerdin' being a thing, the old faithful whirlwind barbarian and I think people normally liked the frost path of the Sorceress.

I never played 3 on console so my other thought would be potion usage because you can always chug health potions if things get hairy (not much use if someone one shots you though) but I'm not sure what that's like on a controller Vs using the number keys on a keyboard.

If anyone wants a pleasant puzzle game, I can recommend The Gardens Between. Shouldn't take more than a few hours tops, and the puzzles aren't particularly difficult (though its not boring). Just a fun little game with a quaint setting and a nice game mechanic for advancing and rewinding time so that you can manipulate opjects for completing the tasks. 

My Series S is here! I've had £200 as a sort of sweet spot for a little while, my One controllers are a bit tatty so I figured if I have to spend £40-50 for a new one, that leaves like £150ish left over which I think is justified for a Game Pass box. Got it for £190 used but if you'd told me it had never been used before I would have believed you. I imagine it's been factory reset anyway but the console itself and controller don't have a mark on them, came with the power lead and HDMI so all that's really missing is the original box and all the paperwork. Not really planning on re-selling and it would be nice to have for collectibles sake but not the worst thing in the world.

Downloading Hades to carry on with that, setup the pre-install for Back 4 Blood and might download Fallout 4 at some point to try that with the FPS boost? I did get the season pass cheap on sale a little while back so that'd be neat to try. Might have to look into another external hard drive as well.

• Like 4

On 23/09/2021 at 12:26, King Ellis said:

My Series S is here! I've had £200 as a sort of sweet spot for a little while, my One controllers are a bit tatty so I figured if I have to spend £40-50 for a new one, that leaves like £150ish left over which I think is justified for a Game Pass box. Got it for £190 used but if you'd told me it had never been used before I would have believed you. I imagine it's been factory reset anyway but the console itself and controller don't have a mark on them, came with the power lead and HDMI so all that's really missing is the original box and all the paperwork. Not really planning on re-selling and it would be nice to have for collectibles sake but not the worst thing in the world.

Downloading Hades to carry on with that, setup the pre-install for Back 4 Blood and might download Fallout 4 at some point to try that with the FPS boost? I did get the season pass cheap on sale a little while back so that'd be neat to try. Might have to look into another external hard drive as well.

Welcome to the tiny box gang, friend.

• Like 1

Might have a mess around on that then. Wasn't interested in it long term, all the live service stuff puts me off in general and I heard this was a pretty bad one for that at launch with the whole Battle Pass thing that meant grinding was necessary over each individual character if you wanted the cool costumes and what not.

But as part of Game Pass, should be fun to just mess around as Iron Man, flying about shooting people, right?

Same as apsham, I really enjoyed the feel of each character, they were pretty unique and felt like the proper hero especially when levelled up, but I lost interest such a long time ago. Haven't even seen Hawkeye/Black Panther/whoever else has been released. Has Spider-Man been added yet? I always say I'm going to go back to it one day but the grind was really relentless and the levels weren't ever really interesting to me. The story was fine, but the actual areas felt really empty and well, boring. Even being in a city or forest or whatever, always felt like a danger room simulation somehow.

Lego Marvel Superheroes remains the undisputed superhero team up game.

I swear every time I go to download something new that looks interesting on Game Pass I see the word "roguelike" and alarm bells go off in my head saying "THIS IS A THING YOU WILL NOT LIKE" and I'm honestly not sure I've ever played one or even know what they are. Knowing me as a lot of you do should I even bother trying one and if so what's a good one on game pass?