2021-2022 NBA season

Pooker

On 25/04/2022 at 21:42, damhausen said:

Milwaukee and Philadelphia both were trying to avoid the first round matchup with the Nets. Boston wound up with the dreaded "Nets series" and just wiped the floor with them. Absolutely pathetic by Brooklyn.

Yeah. And Kyrie wants to make executive decisions in that ridiculous organization now. 

So was Bucks-Celtics but perhaps not to the general viewing audience so much as Bucks fans that had to sit and listen to people overlook them like they didn't just win the title last year with the best basketball player on the planet. 

I'm still expecting Boston to put up a fight, but if the rest of the series is like game one, nobody stands a chance against the Bucks.

It's really cool to see Memphis hanging with Golden State.

2 hours ago, Krabby said:

Ok bud - you didn't want to get a vaccine, you're no martyr

This is exactly how my sister's republican boyfriend acts when in fact he's just scared of needles. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, damhausen said:

MVP is truly a regular season award as playoff liability Nikola Jokic wins his 2nd straight.

It is, though. It may not seem so because they take so long to hand the damn thing but it is what it is.

--

Now, unrelated to the quoted post above, personally I think Jokic had an excellent regular season. I haven't retroactively checked what happened during the season with more detail to say if he deserves it more as a whole than the other main candidates. Also, statistically, which like it or not matters a great deal in these awards, he was the 6th scorer (3 ppg behind) and passer in the league, unrivalled efficiency, 2nd best rebounder and with a very, very noticeable improvement n D. He was so important to the Nuggets in both ends this season, even more so, considering they were without Jamal Murray and Michael Porter Jr. Nuggets with or without him were 2 different teams. Obviously this can be said about most franchise players in the NBA, but in his case was more noticeable and I'd say a lot more than last season, and he already got the MVP then.

I understand people may be disappointed but I'm being fully honest, I thought there was absolutely no way, the mvp would end up in someone else's hands. I actually thought Giannis had a better shot at it then Embiid, based on the trophy voting history alone but I didn't think any of the 2 had a shot at it this season. All three had excellent seasons but I just "knew" who was getting this year MVPs.

1 hour ago, damhausen said:

Not saying the decision to let Butler leave for Miami and keeping Tobias Harris and Ben Simmons was a bad decision at the time but it's certainly likely to be the reason the Sixers era goes title-less.

I'm not complaining, obviously. 

16 hours ago, damhausen said:

Not saying the decision to let Butler leave for Miami and keeping Tobias Harris and Ben Simmons was a bad decision at the time but it's certainly likely to be the reason the Sixers era goes title-less.

Was keeping Butler even an option? I am not an avid 76ers follower but I got the impression that Butler didn't want to share the court with players not up to his intensity level or be seen as anything other than the #1 selection. 

But looking back, if they could have kept Butler and molded Embiid and the rest of the team around his workrate and competitive fire they either would have won a title OR ripped open a hole in the space-time continuum and travelled back to the early 90s and out bad boyed the Pistons.

It was keep Butler and move on from Brett Brown and Ben Simmons or trade Butler and keep those guys. One season later Brown gets fired, 2 seasons later Simmons gets traded.

There was also the Fultz trade, the huge amount they gave up for Harris, trading away Mikal Bridges on draft night. Comedy of bad decisions. Maxey was a great find but also sucks at defense so doesn't address the biggest problem they have.

• Like 1