Football Manager 2022

Lineker

Just now, iDOL Nakazawa said:

Really wish I enjoyed soccer enough to have a go at this. Is there anything similar to this based on American Football?

If you find something, let me know!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iDOL Nakazawa said:

Really wish I enjoyed soccer enough to have a go at this. Is there anything similar to this based on American Football?

2 hours ago, Krabby said:

If you find something, let me know!

Kind of amazed this seems to be the latest Gridiron Manager type game. I am 100% more interested in watching someone play THIS manager game than FM, since it's all new to me. Maybe you should watch someone play FM and see if you fall in love with the beautiful game?

Wait a second...what the flugel is this?!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/547900/Front_Office_Football_Eight/

FOF8 is a really good FOOTBAW sim, but I must preface it by saying it's very obtuse and compared to FM very hard to pick up and just play.

Also, if you look around, there's 2021/2022 to find. But again, it's not a very forthcoming and 'logical' seeming game, with a QB like Mahomes (seemingly) lower rated than other QB's, but once it starts simulating it all comes together.

I'd wait for a sale though, or find a 'free trial' somewhere first, to see if you can get over the jankiness.

Draft day sports too. They do basketball, baseball and football.

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

There's a game called Football Mogul that seems to be less in-depth than Football Manager.

Definitely less in depth. I've played it in the past. It was also the first baseball manager game (Baseball Mogul) I played many moons ago. Once I found OOTP I never played mogul. Mogul is an option but there are better alternatives I think.

If they found ways to more easily integrate information in ways that make the work easier and quicker to do, then i'd be down for it. But between the scouting meetings being added last season, and now these staff meetings being added this season, it's just becoming more of a chore to do the things you want to do.

Give me context menus or w.e. out of the inbox, gimme those options on the fly rather than pulling me into a whole new screen where I need to spend a bunch of minutes clicking buttons just to get everything done. I never bothered with the scout meetings, did them once, realized how much of a ballache they were to do, and never bothered again because just doing things the way I used to do them was significantly more efficient in terms of time AND results.

The same issue exists with the press conferences, I just resorted to pressing 'second from the left' and shotgunning through the conferences. And it's just busiwork, it doesn't feel like it has any real bearing on the gameplay unless you go out of your way to cock it up, but then it's only negatives, no real positives to get out of it.

I feel they have the right idea of trying to trim things down and streamlining it, but they're going about it in the exact opposite way they should be doing. They should have people click less, make less screen transitions, go into less menus, etc.. Not into more like they're doing now.

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I find that a lot of new features they've added over the years lose their appeal very quickly. Press conferences and team meetings sounded interesting, but you're soon clicking through them mindlessly.

I was thinking the other day, how much of the text in FM emails do I actually read? I think even after one sitting you know what to clock and what to avoid.

The amount of extra meetings and email stuff now is becoming an overload.

The one little thing I want, is when a stadium is upgraded/increased capacity or even when a new stadium is built, give me option to choose the type of stands that appear on the in-game stuff. My Watford team are a leading European powerhouse, we got a new 70k stadium called 'Watford Stadium' and it looks like something out of the 70s with 4 individual stands and no corner connections.

As I say, I'm not even asking for a 'stadium builder' of sorts, just give me the option to choose from the database stuff.

2 hours ago, MadJack said:

I'll scout hundreds of players, but I'm not sure I've ever read a scout report in full.

Only management sim i've ever played where I read scout reports was Eastside Hockey Manager. Where star ratings didn't mean much in the way of actually telling you how good a player could get (Managing in the NHL, the first 2-3 rounds are 5* prospects more often than not), and you had to actually read the scout report to get a good indication where a player's true potential was at.

In FM though, never have I felt the need to. Even with the more vague 'ghost stars' (or however one calls it) being given to players under 23 to make their true potential more up in the air, the development in FM is still very simple and there's no reason not to just sign every 5* kid you come across because you'll probably be swimming in cash after 3 or so seasons when you sell your first wonderkid to PSG for a tenth of a billion.

But in FM, all these additions haven't really done much to engage me in scouting and recruitment. And all the additions have felt more like extra busiwork and more menus to slog through, rather than true improvements to how scouting works and requiring you to go below the surface.

It feels SI is caught between two worlds, one where they want to make FM as accessible as possible, but again, going about it in the wrong way by making things more obtuse and cluttered. And it doesn't hit for new players, who have no idea what's going on, or existing players, who just get frustrated with losing control without it actually being more efficient.

I really hope they have re-designed the match UI in this edition. Last years was really shite. Even the scoreboard I needed to mod to get the full team name and badge visible - and then there’s the whole tablet thing which was utter dross. The whole “trying to make it like what a real life manager sees” was nonsense too. It’s a game, give me a bit more info and ability to customise what I am seeing.