Norm Macdonald has passed away

livid

Norm was one-of-a-kind. One of my favorite Twitch channels is this one that just once or twice a week streams three or four hours of old sketch comedy, typically with SNL as the centerpiece. We've been watching the final season of SNL with Norm on it and while the dying days of his Weekend Update are kind of sad to watch, I'd forgotten what a great impressionist he is in spite of having a pretty limited vocal range. But he was also funny just being himself, this deliberately obtuse crank who would run over any and every punchline and make the audience just have to let it sink in. He's one of the pioneers of a certain brand of subversive/anti-humor, and I think would have been great in his 80s just turning up on talk shows and being cantankerous.

Here's one of my favorite Norm SNL sketches, which for all intents and purposes is just him reacting to being in a musical:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I loved Norm so much as a kid and a teen. I loved catching glimpses of him on SNL and I absolutely fell in love with him when he did the Norm Show. While some of the stuff he did in his latter years was not for me, I always wind up looking up old clips of his standup or talk show interviews on YouTube and reliving the old days and I can't help but feel a strong sense of sadness because he's gone.

• Like 1

“I’m pretty sure, I’m not a doctor, but I’m pretty sure if you die, the cancer dies at the same time. That’s not a loss. That’s a draw.” -Norm MacDonald

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Me and my friends quoted this clip so many times..."Its the lack of respect!  Well, that and the other thing..."

• 8 months later...