1900 TEW 2020 database

Hello Everyone!

I have had an idea for some time about making a TEW database taking place in the 1900. I love the "A New Trust" database made by Bizzo2k, but I just wanted to go back a little farther. The only reason I haven't made it already is because I have a hard time working with the database creator, for me it just gets way to repetitive & gives me a headache. I'm more of a graphic & research guy, so that's why I'm here. If anyone is interested in doing the database side of this project, I'd more than happy to work with you.

I looked into doing one set around 1910 (so after the first, but before the second, Gotch vs. Hackenschmidt match), but I just don't know how well TEW can simulate the wrestling of that era.

Stats for practically everyone involved would be little more than a best guess, because there's so little surviving footage, and for anyone outside of the bigger names, little in the way of reputable coverage either.

More than that, there weren't really wrestling promotions in the sense that they operate in TEW - there were either one-off matches organised by a couple of promoters and/or the wrestlers involved, or touring troupes doing the carnival/vaudeville theatre circuit, or barnstormers. On top of that, not all matches were worked yet.

If it's doable, I'd love to see it, but I think it's beyond TEW's capabilities to simulate how wrestling worked back then - I think the era that A New Trust looks at is only just the earliest point that TEW could accurately simulate wrestling, and even then I think there's a few liberties taken, and a lot of speculative stats.

• Like 1

I agree with you on the stats, no matter how many old news paper clippings I read I would never be able to tell approximately correct. I am somewhat of a wrestling historian & I would still love too push forward with the project, even if TEW might not be up to snuff for period correct simulation.

I think I will start work on the database, despite my frustrations with it.

A follow up question is for the photos in the database, should I used colorized images or the originals? I have left an example of Martin "Farmer" Burns to show to differences.

7Wpewgk.png

Would be a miracle to be anywhere accurate, but would be a fun option, I'd just push Georg Hackenschmidt to the moon!

Also I'd go with the sepia toned images, would be more immersive, although finding pictures would be a pig.

Also any chance of including Jack Wannop?

• 3 months later...

I've been kicking this idea around again recently and I've restarted work on a database called "Match of the Century". The start date is September of 1911 which is much like Skummy's idea of building up to Gotch vs. Hack II. The database is REALLY bare metal right now, but I've taken a lot of inspiration from Mammoth's Territory Daze mod, so if it ever does get released it will be freeware.

Progress Screenshots

RTeeLJ2.png

UYgz9gm.png

Progress will more than likely be slow (because the buttloads of research & my new job I'll be starting soon.), but I'll try to keep this updated as much as I can.

Finally if you guys think that you'll have any info that would be helpful in the making of this mod, please share. Thank you for reading and Merry Christmas everyone.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2021 at 06:02, Skummy said:

More than that, there weren't really wrestling promotions in the sense that they operate in TEW - there were either one-off matches organised by a couple of promoters and/or the wrestlers involved, or touring troupes doing the carnival/vaudeville theatre circuit, or barnstormers.

As a remedy to this could you set up some "companies" that were based on these promoters/carnivals etc with a fixed schedule of events to represent those very small number of events per company?

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/12/2021 at 06:29, Krabby said:

As a remedy to this could you set up some "companies" that were based on these promoters/carnivals etc with a fixed schedule of events to represent those very small number of events per company?

Possibly, yeah - you had things like Parson Davies' Company of Gladiators or William Muldoon and John L. Sullivan's touring athletics troupes that could potentially be represented as "promotions". Someone like Harry Hill could potentially be included as a promoter, with a promotion tied to his New York dance hall to try and reflect that set-up.

What would be trickier is that you never really saw a full card of wrestling matches in those days. Neither Gotch/Hackenschmidt match had an undercard, for example, and I doubt the seven or eight hour Muldoon/Whistler match had any preliminary matches either. I don't know if TEW can be made to reflect that.

• Like 1

Gotch/Hackenschmidt will just have to be the prelim for the next 7 hour Muldoon/Whistler match, then, I reckon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1