NHL 2022

SeanDMan

I don't understand why the Leafs would go out and get Matt Murray. If they are just taking a chance on someone, there were plenty of other options available at a lower price. 

Ottawa has been having a great off-season, though - and it sounds like they aren't done and could end up with Claude Giroux today. Saw they are also in the mix for Chychrun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ruki said:

Johnny Hockey testing free agency today. Let's see the crazy contract he gets.

Really hoping the Leafs sign Samsonov and Strome today.

Leafs got Samsonov one a one-year deal. 

2 hours ago, Toe said:

I don't understand why the Leafs would go out and get Matt Murray. If they are just taking a chance on someone, there were plenty of other options available at a lower price. 

Ottawa has been having a great off-season, though - and it sounds like they aren't done and could end up with Claude Giroux today. Saw they are also in the mix for Chychrun.

My theory on the Leafs and Murray is that Kyle Dubas is aiming to stockpile draft capitol from any and all rounds so that he has more trading chips come deadline day. If they looked at the market and didn't think they could get what they wanted at a cheaper price, and the addition of Murray's contract and the picks they got were more appealing, then it makes sense... but they just signed Samsonov for $1.8, and they probably could have grabbed another UFA goalie with breakout potential or even just a consistently decent performance record and paid the pair less than what Murray makes.

It's gotta be about acquiring draft capitol. At least Murray's only on the books for two seasons though. So, if it's a bust, it's an easier contract to move out.

Jack Campbell signed with the Oilers for five years. I think I'd personally rather take a flyer on Murray for two than the Soup Man for five.

• Like 1

I like Campbell, but not at 5x5. 

Ilya Mikheyev signs for 4 years at 4.75 with Vancouver. That number feels high to me, but when he was healthy he was a pretty nice player for the Leafs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Krabby said:

Brent Burns to the Canes

On the surface, that's a strange move. But Burns is on a contract where his cap hit is higher than his actual salary, so he'll help Carolina save some cash.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CM Busch said:

It is now official.

I think if the Cats had won the cup he may have gone back to Philly, Ottawa is a strange choice but if everything clicks they may be a really tough team to beat

6 minutes ago, Krabby said:

I think if the Cats had won the cup he may have gone back to Philly, Ottawa is a strange choice but if everything clicks they may be a really tough team to beat

From what I've heard on TSN, Giroux has lived in Ottawa since he was a teenager so this is a bit of a homecoming for him.

3 minutes ago, Toe said:

From what I've heard on TSN, Giroux has lived in Ottawa since he was a teenager so this is a bit of a homecoming for him.

Oh nice, hopefully that pans out better than Tavares and the Leafs. I've always liked Giroux, he and Danny Briere were a fun duo haha

7 minutes ago, Krabby said:

Oh nice, hopefully that pans out better than Tavares and the Leafs. I've always liked Giroux, he and Danny Briere were a fun duo haha

I'm a Leafs fan, so I have no reason to be pro anything Senators... but I think this is a really solid signing for the Senators. It's not crazy money or term, and Giroux has still been a productive player over the last few seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Toe said:

I'm a Leafs fan, so I have no reason to be pro anything Senators... but I think this is a really solid signing for the Senators. It's not crazy money or term, and Giroux has still been a productive player over the last few seasons. 

What is the outlook for Toronto this year? I've never been a Leafs guy but have known a lot of Leafs fans (so I like to give them a hard time) - Tavares lifting the cup for them would be a special deal!

11 minutes ago, Krabby said:

What is the outlook for Toronto this year? I've never been a Leafs guy but have known a lot of Leafs fans (so I like to give them a hard time) - Tavares lifting the cup for them would be a special deal!

Still pretty good. Our top 6 is still one of the best in the league, best defense we had in 10+ years... the only questions we have are in net (two brand new faces... but I'm cautiously optimistic) and our bottom 6. Really hoping some prospects make the jump too.

For free agents my hope is still Dylan Strome, and maybe Subban as a 7th D.

• Like 1

Probably the same as the past few years. They're going to be a great team in the regular season, but the challenge is finally getting over the hump and getting past the first round of the playoffs. This season, it's hard to say they chocked - they had the 3rd most points in the regular season and were rewarded by facing the 2-time defending Stanley Cup champion Lightning. 

• Like 1

Toronto is in a great spot and were a couple bounces away from beating Tampa Bay and possibly then making it all the way to the Cup Final. They're in a good spot again this year and appear to be making moves to keep the squad deep while also having the flexibility for an impact signing in the season.

The Giroux signing by Ottawa is really smart. That's a team which could be on the rise very quickly.

You would hope Toronto hasn't overlooked the fact that ~45 goals disappeared from this last season's forward group without any detectable replacement so far. I think a trade has to be on the way. Defence is unchanged and their goaltending will likely be worse so they will have to keep the scoring pace up.

Gaudreau to Columbus is a head scratcher. They're not a contender and offered less money than he could have had elsewhere. I really thought NJ was going to be the place based on some of the moves they had made.

Tampa locked up some of their core with 8 year extensions a full year early, so it will be interesting to follow them this seasons and into next summer. Who stays, who goes, how do they try to keep this thing rolling without a tear-down?

Always interested in the big spender teams that end up with all kinds of cap room to blow on bad deals. I think Detroit did alright for themselves in that spot and didn't sign anything too egregious. Definitely made some improvements to their team so they won't be consciously a bottom-dweller next year.

2 hours ago, caucasianheat said:

Gaudreau to Columbus is a head scratcher. They're not a contender and offered less money than he could have had elsewhere. I really thought NJ was going to be the place based on some of the moves they had made.

Sounds like he just fell in love with the city and the team and talked to a lot current/former guys who vouched for the team

Yeah I think when he realized the Flyers weren't going to happen he shopped around in the general vicinity of home and eventually landed on Columbus after falling in love with the city and org.

He clearly wanted to get out of Calgary. Given how far he was from home and given the experience of the last few years with COVID I can't really blame him.