Games you like that buck a personal trend

Liam

I couldn't think of a better way to phrase this, but basically - is there a game that - even though you care little for the sport, the genre, the wider story of a franchise, the IP the game comes from, whatever else it might be - you still really enjoy?

I ask this because I care very little about baseball but The Show (not going to put a specific number on them, since I like all the ones I've played) is one of my favourite sports games.

This also had me wondering whether anyone was into a game from a property that they care little for in other media, but really enjoy when it comes to computer games.

• Like 2

I'd say Halo sort of bucks a trend for me because I otherwise really don't care for online shooters. I'm not a mega fan of Halo by any means, but I can enjoy a few games online.

Hades springs to mind as well. I generally avoid roguelikes because they're usually difficult and frustrating, but Hades' progression system and optional God Mode make the process so much approachable.

3 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Rust.

Don't really enjoy online gaming, much less shooters, and despite having a very toxic player base, it's just fantastic. There is so much to do, and you don't need to dive into packed servers with 500 people if you don't want.

I really like Rust, but it's the usual online survival bullshit of attracting the absolute worst of the worst and bringing out the absolute worst out of people. It has a nice gameplay loop, but otherwise it's just infuriating to spend hours with a friend to create a nice little base and do a little bit of exploring, then a gaggle of shitheads come to burn it all down, steal your shit, and leave you with nothing but a regret for putting so much hours into all of it.

It just kills my enjoyment, the stress of losing everything doesn't add to the excitement it just worsens the frustrations when it inevitably happens. And the only way to prevent it is to join in on the madness and be just as big a cunt as everyone else is being to you, and that just isn't how I want to play games, I prefer achieving goals through cooperation, not throwing salt in other people's eyes and making their hours of effort worth nothing.

/rant

Anyways, here's my own addition to the list. Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous are two CRPG's that take a hard turn towards providing an as-close-to-tabletop experience towards the players as possible. With a level of obtuseness and detail that is mindboggling even after spending dozens of hours in the games.

I love plenty of modern RPG's that are streamlined and enjoyable, but Pathfinder and it's hard-tabletop focus is a delightful change of pace, and I can spend literal hours on character creation and level up's trying to figure out which feat, skill, or ability my Rogue-Ranger DPS-er needs to be as efficient as possible, whilst figuring out what makes them synergize the best with the rest of the party.

I don't play on particularly highly populated or official servers, so a lot of the people I end up in a server with are decent. Playing servers that don't wipe Blueprints are also helpful if you can't put in 8 hours a day, every day. It's easier to build back up if you are raided, and it's also easier to restart after a fresh wipe.

Tbf I just love the farming, building and taking down some of the AI controlled monuments. You can get some of the best loot in the game without even killing another player.

American football isn't really my jam but I've enjoyed the Madden games. I admittedly haven't played one in like 15+ years, but I always really liked the mid-2000s, late 90s editions of the game.

• Like 1

City of Heroes is the only MMO I've ever genuinely enjoyed, and one of the few online multiplayer games at that.

Also 2D game Salt and Sanctuary is the few Soulslike games I enjoyed as well.

Resident Evil 7 never really been a fan or even interested in survival horror style games. I may have it played one other type which was Unti Dawn but it isn't something I'd actively go out of my way to pursue.

The Last Of Us and Last Of Us 2 also probably fit into this category as never been interested in anything with Zombies or Infected but the single player aspect and the storyline was just so intriguing and played out it ended up being a must play 

Rayman Legends. 

I'm not big on side scrolling platform type games but I feel like this game is a really clever and fun take on the genre. The music is absolutely fantastic, the controls are nice and fluid, its a challenge but not completely ridiculous, and the graphics are nice in that cartoonish animation style. Plus it can feel like a really action packed game with some of the speed run type levels. 

• Like 1

I tend to be a fairly lInited and narrow-minded game player so I probably have a lot of these. Games I do play can probably be categorised as follows:

1. Historical open-world games (red dead, assassins creed etc). I’m more drawn to games for their capacity “to transport me to a world” than I am for core gameplay experience and that is the sort of “world” I’m interested in being “transported” to. As a result I like quite a lot of these games for these qualities even if more gameplay-oriented people might not find them particularly enjoyable.

2. Historical strategy games (Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings etc - although I’ve barely played this category for the last couple of years)

3. Games where you drive a truck of a plane (Euro/American Truck Simulator and Microsoft Flighth Simulator.

4. FM

So anomalies are:

I don’t like driving games but I liked F1 2020

I despise FPS games but loved Timesplitters back in the day.

I don’t like platformer type games but I liked the Uncharted games (is it even in that category?)

No interest in RPG/fantasy games but I liked Skyrim. Or rather, I thought Skyrim was a grinding repetitive bore of a game to play but the setting was really cool.

• Like 1

I don't know if this really counts, but I'll say Fallout 4.

I have mostly played sports games the majority of my life, with the odd other thing thrown in - Guitar Hero and COD when I was a teenager, particularly - and I love all of Rockstar's releases pretty much, but I'm not really into RPGs.

Fallout 4 is a bit of a move away from the typical RPG though. I had Fallout 3 back in the day but didn't play it much, I've never played Elder Scrolls, and I even bought Fallout 4 on a whim (it was £10 in the shop) then didn't play more than one or two quests for like 2 years. Picked back up with it last year whilst I was shielding and suddenly became obsessed, played it for 4-5 hours near enough every day and, even though I've completed the main questline now, still go back to it extensively.

My gaming collection post-16 is mainly either Fifa, Madden or Rockstar titles so it is a bit of a departure for me. I'd definitely buy any sequel to Fallout now as well.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Adam said:

I don't know if this really counts, but I'll say Fallout 4.

I have mostly played sports games the majority of my life, with the odd other thing thrown in - Guitar Hero and COD when I was a teenager, particularly - and I love all of Rockstar's releases pretty much, but I'm not really into RPGs.

Fallout 4 is a bit of a move away from the typical RPG though. I had Fallout 3 back in the day but didn't play it much, I've never played Elder Scrolls, and I even bought Fallout 4 on a whim (it was £10 in the shop) then didn't play more than one or two quests for like 2 years. Picked back up with it last year whilst I was shielding and suddenly became obsessed, played it for 4-5 hours near enough every day and, even though I've completed the main questline now, still go back to it extensively.

My gaming collection post-16 is mainly either Fifa, Madden or Rockstar titles so it is a bit of a departure for me. I'd definitely buy any sequel to Fallout now as well.

It might be a bit too dated nowadays, but if you can get New Vegas then that's a really good game. Compared to Fallout 4 it's pretty dated and there's lots of stuff missing that were odd choices in the year 2010, let alone 2021, but for good reasons it's regarded as 'the best' of the nuFallout games. Although I feel F4 gets a bad rap and is probably by far the most polished modern Fallout game.

You could also check out The Outer Worlds (2019), which is Obsidian (the developers of New Vegas) making a new IP in the same vein as the Fallout titles. Space-cowboy-ey with lots of choices and freedom of how you tackle the story (Apparently you can just kill near enough everyone you come across and still finish the story.) It's a bit short though, and it's not a full open world but rather with hub worlds (which personally I find more enjoyable).

The gameplay of TOW is very close to Fallout 4, though, so it might be right up your alley. It's on MS Game Pass if you have a PC or Xbox system.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've been playing a ton of Fallout 4 lately. It doesn't feel like a particularly engaging story but I like the gameplay and just exploring Boston well enough. It never gets old shooting a Raiders head off with a laser gun. Plus, I really like building the settlements, that's a lot of fun to me. 

I would love it if they could incorporate the building of settlements into Elder Scrolls some day myself.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JasonM said:

It might be a bit too dated nowadays, but if you can get New Vegas then that's a really good game. Compared to Fallout 4 it's pretty dated and there's lots of stuff missing that were odd choices in the year 2010, let alone 2021, but for good reasons it's regarded as 'the best' of the nuFallout games. Although I feel F4 gets a bad rap and is probably by far the most polished modern Fallout game.

You could also check out The Outer Worlds (2019), which is Obsidian (the developers of New Vegas) making a new IP in the same vein as the Fallout titles. Space-cowboy-ey with lots of choices and freedom of how you tackle the story (Apparently you can just kill near enough everyone you come across and still finish the story.) It's a bit short though, and it's not a full open world but rather with hub worlds (which personally I find more enjoyable).

The gameplay of TOW is very close to Fallout 4, though, so it might be right up your alley. It's on MS Game Pass if you have a PC or Xbox system.

Cheers yeah, I might well check that out when I'm next looking for something new to play. I'm intrigued by the lore of Fallout New Vegas and a lot of stuff around it, but I do think the time passed since it's release and the changes between it and Fallout 4 might make it difficult for me to get into. I didn't enjoy Fallout 3 at all but then I was brand new to that type of game at the time, and that must've been about 13-14 years ago now?

8 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

I've been playing a ton of Fallout 4 lately. It doesn't feel like a particularly engaging story but I like the gameplay and just exploring Boston well enough. It never gets old shooting a Raiders head off with a laser gun. Plus, I really like building the settlements, that's a lot of fun to me. 

I would love it if they could incorporate the building of settlements into Elder Scrolls some day myself.

The world is probably the thing that keeps me going back to Fallout 4 the most, yeah. Just exploring and enjoying being in it. Sometimes I go on just to shoot some redshirts up for an hour on a night, or do some building which I'm surprised I got into myself (maybe another reason why this game was a good shout for this thread!) but yeah, the presentation of it all worked well for me compared to previous games in the series.