Best/favourite films of the last decade or so?

Liam

19 hours ago, RPS said:

Post your thoughts on everything you watch. I have kids and cannot watch movies these days, but I do get the odd night to myself. 

Yeah, I was planning to post about stuff when I watched it. Unfortunately, I don't have very much time due to young child myself (and my wife not really wanting to watch films due to lack of interest/tiredness), so will be a slow trudge through them over time.

2 hours ago, Liam said:

Yeah, I was planning to post about stuff when I watched it. Unfortunately, I don't have very much time due to young child myself (and my wife not really wanting to watch films due to lack of interest/tiredness), so will be a slow trudge through them over time.

The struggle is real. Although you get to watch kids films at a certain point. Some of them will be good. 

• Like 2

The Act of Killing Letterboxd review:

Spoiler

This is a wild, eye-opening documentary that tells an engaging story pretty much from start to finish. The most interesting parts for me were when any of the non-gangster, non-paramilitary people got involved, highlighting how normalised the genocide of millions of communists in the 60s had become, especially considering how it wasn't even a blip on my radar. Watching children laugh along as the acting of pillaging a village took place just served was a haunting sight in many ways.

Yeah, a crazy and worthwhile way to spend two hours.

More spoilers

Spoiler

- As mentioned, the way the local people reacted to the men when they were trying to hire actors was eye-opening

- The idea of these gangsters being hugely inspired by films, even to the point of filming parts in the style of certain genres, was certainly unique

- The fat gangster loved dressing up like a woman. Any excuse.

- Anwar's decisions to experience his own killing device, as well as to invite his grandkids to watch it, was definitely an interesting choice.

I've got Sorry To Bother You on my tablet as well as Portait...so will see which one takes my fancy.

• Like 2

If you’re into horror:

- It Follows

- You’re Next

- Hereditary

- The Babadook

- Oculus

- Don’t Breathe

- Get Out

On 28/09/2021 at 05:25, Jimmy said:

Manchester by the Sea
A Ghost Story

I wish I could get a refund on the time out of my life it took to watch these boring films 😅

spoiler for Ghost Story:

Spoiler

There is a scene (one single shot) where a woman is just sitting on the floor eating a god damn pie for what feels like 30 minutes (run time I believe is actually 10 and it feels longer) - Nothing else happens. She’s sitting on the floor, fork clanging on the plate, housing a whole pie!

5 hours ago, iDOL Nakazawa said:

I wish I could get a refund on the time out of my life it took to watch these boring films 😅

spoiler for Ghost Story:

Hide contents

There is a scene (one single shot) where a woman is just sitting on the floor eating a god damn pie for what feels like 30 minutes (run time I believe is actually 10 and it feels longer) - Nothing else happens. She’s sitting on the floor, fork clanging on the plate, housing a whole pie!

Ha yeah, I thought that scene was absolutely incredible. 

• Confused 1

My wife is out for a bit tonight, so I'll probably try and watch a film whilst she is out. However, I also have a pretty decent collection of DVDs/Blu-Rays I haven't watched yet, so will probably grab from that instead. Will add my thoughts to the thread later.

12 hours ago, iDOL Nakazawa said:

spoiler for Ghost Story:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I hated A Ghost Story but I love that scene.

I wish it had stayed a more small scale and slower paced like that. 

On 09/10/2021 at 13:24, Liam said:

My wife is out for a bit tonight, so I'll probably try and watch a film whilst she is out. However, I also have a pretty decent collection of DVDs/Blu-Rays I haven't watched yet, so will probably grab from that instead. Will add my thoughts to the thread later.

What did you go for? 

I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey, fully confirming that I now have an attention span that means I struggle to watch films of two and a half hours long (when there are distractions about the house). Still, technically so impressive for the time and holds up today, even if there are quite a few slow bits in it.

Sorry To Bother You was an excellent comedy. Really dark and surreal in tone, though with a nice mix of just silly set pieces (a perfect example being when a couple argue, then fight over the duvet, before the man falls out of bed - delightfully stupid).

More thoughts in spoilers

Spoiler

- I assumed the power caller idea was going to be a non-existent thing that was forever held over their head, so was pleasantly surprised when it was a legitimate thing.

- The shots in which the phone calls take place and we join the people who are being called, whether mid-sex or mid-poop as it happens, are great little set pieces.

- I really enjoyed the 'n*gga shit' rap and the whole setup that came before it - he only became a power caller due to his white voice, so for them to a)want him to rap, and b) him giving them what he assumes they want, was very funny.

- The half man, half horse creatures was not a place I was expecting this film to go, but I was largely here for it.

- The main character's girlfriend was hot.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I watched Anomalisa over the past couple of nights.

Spoiler

- I watch films late at night, on a tablet, in bed, when tired. Therefore, it took me quite a while to realise that the majority of the characters looked the same/were voiced by the same person. I had definitely thought there was something a bit odd, but took around 20 minutes or so...

- The animation style is great, with some really neat tricks utilising the 'camera' especially as he begins to have his break down later on in the movie.

- Not sure I was ready for animated muff diving or middle aged man balls, but I've now experienced them.

- I think it was a film that wasn't necessarily the best to watch as a 30-something aged man as it got me contemplating all of the mundane frustrating things in life and how they'll probably just chip away at me over the next twenty years - fun thoughts.

- It was a good watch, not a great watch. I gave it 3.5 out of 5 on Letterboxd, which I think is in keeping with how much I enjoyed it.

• Like 2