NHL 24

Gabriel

This may be the first time in a while that I pick up an NHL game. I'm told not much has changed since 19 or 20 or whatever the last one was that I had, but it seems like Franchise UI is better and quicker... and the big thing that sold me will be coming in an update around December, but ROSTER SHARING IS IN.

So, if we wait for the inevitable Black Friday/Xmas deals, we won't have to pay full price, and there should be legitimately solid rosters in the vault shortly after.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

This may be the first time in a while that I pick up an NHL game. I'm told not much has changed since 19 or 20 or whatever the last one was that I had, but it seems like Franchise UI is better and quicker... and the big thing that sold me will be coming in an update around December, but ROSTER SHARING IS IN.

So, if we wait for the inevitable Black Friday/Xmas deals, we won't have to pay full price, and there should be legitimately solid rosters in the vault shortly after.

I wont be because I dont have the consoles it will be out on but glad to hear they put at least a little bit of work into franchise mode :P

They should really put it out on PC...

4 minutes ago, Krabby said:

I wont be because I dont have the consoles it will be out on but glad to hear they put at least a little bit of work into franchise mode :P

They should really put it out on PC...

This year's game should still be on Xbox One and PS4 if you're like me and haven't been able to secure one of the newer systems.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

This year's game should still be on Xbox One and PS4 if you're like me and haven't been able to secure one of the newer systems.

For sony and microsoft I am still on the PS2 and the 360 respectively hahaha :P

I went with the Switch for a newer console

• 2 months later...

Roster Sharing has been added, along with a new IIHF partnership that sees the inclusion of more accurate national jerseys and the upcoming teams for the World Juniors and World Hockey Championships, as well as the Women's World Championships.

I've been really wanting to pick the game up, but I'm so leery of buying new games right now because I'm still rocking the PS4. I'd probably get good use out of NHL 22 though, between the roster sharing, franchise and international stuff, I feel like it would be well worth it at half price.

• 8 months later...

I saw IGN posted that we will be able to customize franchise heavily this year.

They mentioned choosing between 6 and 48 teams, being able to customize the playoff format and length of the regular season.

The only thing that would make that better (for me), is if you could choose to start with 6 and add 2 teams at a time if you wish to do expansion. I think it would be super cool to be able to run a franchise that starts with 6 and expands by 2 teams every couple of years until you reach 48 teams total.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gabriel said:

I saw IGN posted that we will be able to customize franchise heavily this year.

They mentioned choosing between 6 and 48 teams, being able to customize the playoff format and length of the regular season.

The only thing that would make that better (for me), is if you could choose to start with 6 and add 2 teams at a time if you wish to do expansion. I think it would be super cool to be able to run a franchise that starts with 6 and expands by 2 teams every couple of years until you reach 48 teams total.

Any chance it will be on PC?

25 minutes ago, Krabby said:

Any chance it will be on PC?

Nothing announced on that front, but I would be shocked if the EA NHL series ever heads back to PC. Modding abilities make new releases harder to sell, because EA barely does anything that modders can't already do themselves.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Ruki said:

They are touting mirrored visors as a feature. Which does not give me hope...

I think that reflects more on you than them

• Haha 3

• 8 months later...

Here I am, digging up an old topic.

NHL 23 is on sale on the PS Store for a decent price. I haven't played in a couple years. It's sitting at $24 right now. How is the GM mode?

Also, I haven't heard too much about the custom GM modes, but I was very intrigued. Can you actually set up a league with between 4 and 60 teams or whatever it was and play a proper franchise?

• 4 months later...

Is there a super simple option for controls? I am trying the free trial of 24 and it's too much for me. I'm talking 1 button to shoot 1 to pass and 1 to switch to a different guy level of simple here. Like I put it on the very easiest thing and it still seems like there is a different button press for literally everything. Not very accessible for us newbies NHL

32 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Is there a super simple option for controls? I am trying the free trial of 24 and it's too much for me. I'm talking 1 button to shoot 1 to pass and 1 to switch to a different guy level of simple here. Like I put it on the very easiest thing and it still seems like there is a different button press for literally everything. Not very accessible for us newbies NHL

In previous editions, it was called NHL 94 mode. It sounds like it might not be in this one?

https://caniplaythat.com/2023/08/29/disabled-players-call-on-ea-to-bring-back-nhl-94-controls/#:~:text=At this moment there is,the requests from disabled players.

But I didn't check. But honestly? Even for someone who has played a good chunk of NHL in the past, a lot of the controls are too much. I can shoot, pass, hit, and poke check. Everything else (like the really cool goals) are above me, which is disappointing. 

Also disappointing is that nothing in the game changes from year to year. I played Be-A-Pro for an hour yesterday... same opening, same segments, same banal conversations, same skill tree... and it's been this way for 3-4 years now. I already deleted this off my Xbox. 

Even the hybrid controls they seem to be patching in according that page, whilst simplified in places, read like the special moves in a fighting game going by the previous years listings. It's like to do a deke do a quarter circle motion + right bumper + mash the B button with your nose.

• Like 1