GTA: The Trilogy - Definitive Edition

Adam

I know folk want GTA 6, and the continuing focus on GTA Online for an 8 year old game is frustrating, but I can't help but be intrigued by this. I'd love to play these games again properly on modern consoles so I'll probably pick it up providing it doesn't look and play like ass.

Thoughts?

Rockstar has stated that they're going to retain the feel of the old versions, but with better graphics and modern enhancements. They absolutely need mid-mission checkpoints and better shooting controls. Keeping the original soundtrack is big for me as well. If it's just a simple set of ports with minimal changes, like Super Mario 3D All-Stars, it won't interest me much.

• Like 2

Just now, Bobfoc said:

Rockstar has stated that they're going to retain the feel of the old versions, but with better graphics and modern enhancements. They absolutely need mid-mission checkpoints and better shooting controls. Keeping the original soundtrack is big for me as well. If it's just a simple set of ports with minimal changes, like Super Mario 3D All-Stars, it won't interest me much.

Yea, if they add mission check points and better shooting mechanics that would peak my interest. Thats actually what I had in mind now that you mention it.

Soundtrack is going to be a big one, less of an issue for GTA III since I think a lot of that was in house stuff but something like Vice City, the radio stations on that were pretty synonmyous with the game itself. I know there have been instances of them patching songs out of the PC versions over time due to licensing so that'd suck if a lot of stuff got left out.

As for the games themselves, I think I said similar when the rumours started first coming out but I'm not overly interested myself. I'm sure I'll try it at some point and I'd be curious to see what they do but going through the games feels like a fairly sizable time investment that I'm not fussed about making when I've already played them before. GTA III would be the exception since I never beat that at the time and since that's the 'grandaddy' of the franchise that helped spawned so many imitators, that one would be the most interesting to go back to to see how it holds up.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

Soundtrack is going to be a big one, less of an issue for GTA III since I think a lot of that was in house stuff

They just need to keep the Scarface soundtrack in so you can PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT

• Like 2

In fairness, the THPS remake managed to get all the songs from the original, so there's at least real world precedent for it happening. I'm sure Rockstar can make it happen, they know how much that soundtrack means to people.

I'm looking forward to seeing just how dreadfully the dialogue has aged. I love the originals as the next person, but they certainly don't hold up to scrutiny as far as racist/homophobic stereotypes are concerned, and I fear removing such things would be such a monumental task in of itself that they'll just leave it all in.

• Like 3

I loved the original series as I'm sure most did, GTA3 was the first PS2 game I ever played and I would absolutely look forward to this if its not gonna be an absurd price point, and like ollie said, I'm not sure the more questionable stuff will have been removed but yeah. Much rather play these than GTAV again.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ollie said:

In fairness, the THPS remake managed to get all the songs from the original, so there's at least real world precedent for it happening. I'm sure Rockstar can make it happen, they know how much that soundtrack means to people.

There's some pretty heavy hitters on the Vice City soundtrack, whereas the biggest artist on the THPS remakes are... Rage Against the Machine, I guess?

And I'll assume that teaser trailer was hastily thrown together since it was officially leaked a few days ago with trophy/achievement images leaked and stuff in the Rockstar Launcher was datamined. Which is why there's no details beyond "hey, it's this year". Probably was supposed to be announced on GTA 3's anniversary for a holiday release.

3 hours ago, Hobo said:

They just need to keep the Scarface soundtrack in so you can PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT

Seriously, it was a ton of fun cruising to that and the other Scarface songs, amazing. 

I actually never did beat GTA III or San Andreas (with CJ). I never owned San Andreas and rented it a few times, and GTA III I gave up on the mission where you "Get to the phone here, get to the phone here". Proud to report I did beat Vice City though...with cheats. 

9 hours ago, Ollie said:

I'm looking forward to seeing just how dreadfully the dialogue has aged. I love the originals as the next person, but they certainly don't hold up to scrutiny as far as racist/homophobic stereotypes are concerned, and I fear removing such things would be such a monumental task in of itself that they'll just leave it all in.

I made a playlist of video game radio stations for when I have to do office work and it cannot be said enough how much of a gap there is between how much I love the soundtrack selection for the stations and how absolutely grating a lot of the ad breaks in that era of GTA games are now. That whole '00s "I'm not racist/sexist/homophobic, I hate everyone equally" style of humor, eugh.

Anyway I'll probably consider buying this depending on reviews and how cheap it gets, wouldn't mind playing through those games again. 3 was the only one I ever actually beat.

• Like 3