Song you'd love to hear live?

Liam

Very simple - what song would you love to hear live by a band or artist of your choice?

A bit like dream matches in wrestling, I'm going to suggest that people should go with both an a) historic, and b) modern choice for this. One that isn't possible, one that is still doable, basically.

I'll post mine later.

I'll be honest, I was a bit miffed that Paul McCartney didn't do Silly Love Songs when I saw him at Bonnaroo. Besides that, he played pretty much everything I wanted to hear from his entire career. Maybe missing some Beatles songs, but it's a career encompassing setlist, so it's tricky. Speaking of Silly Love Songs, I'd like to hear Tool do their cover of it live too. 

I've seen Nine Inch Nails twice, so there's a huge list of songs that I'd go bonkers for if they performed them live the next time I see them (if ever). I remember being insanely jealous of some of the setlists I was seeing a handful of years ago when NIN was supposedly quitting touring, they were busting out stuff like And All That Could Have Been, Last, The Perfect Drug, etc.

Kind of related to Nine Inch Nails - I really want to see another tour from How to Destroy Angels, but that's probably a pie in the sky dream.

• Like 1

It would have been nice to see Rainbow play Stargazer with Dio, Blackmore and Powell in the 1970s. I could say the same for a fair few of their songs, but Stargazer is the pinnacle of their creative output for me.

It's harder to think of examples that are possible. I still haven't seen Metallica live after all these years, so I could go for several of their songs. Perhaps Creeping Death would be top of the list. I've also looked at Iron Maiden's setlists for their Legacy of the Beast tour and would be very keen to see them play Flight of Icarus and The Clansman live. With any luck, I'll get that chance.

• Like 2

I thought of another one: Between the Buried and Me playing Foam Born: The Backtrack / Decade of Statues and stuff like the covers of The Day I Tried to Live, Us & Them and Little 15.

When I saw them, they only played stuff off of Alaska, The Paralax II, Coma Ecliptic, The Great Misdirect and ONE song from Colors (White Walls).

Oh, and for a historical pick I’ll go with Pink Floyd performing A Saucerful of Secrets. Either the song or the entire album 😁

Edited by tristy

11 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

this might be kind of basic, but historically i'd love to have seen The Rite of Spring on opening night

At first I thought you meant Rites of Spring from DC, that's a band I'd have loved to see live, and for a song by them "Drink Deep". They're all still alive so it could happen.

Historically, "Hammer To Fall" by Queen, with Freddie Mercury of course. It is the first song I remember hearing my dad play when I was 2 or 3 and it's just an immense song.

I am going to answer differently. Because of COVID-19, I have not really been able to get to dance at a night club recently and that was one of my favorite things to do with my husband when we had weekends away from the kids.

• Dua Lipa - The Entirety of Future Nostalgia. Fiona Apple was my AOTY last year. It was the soundtrack for a year of being couped up inside, having to confront your own feelings. But it should have been Future Nostalgia. Good In Bed would be great as a cut up remix for 2AM in the morning, after twenty rounds of shots, where you and your friend sing out about missing your fuck buddy. Physical is the song that builds up to that amazing chorus where you give it your all and scream out the chorus. It is all so amazing. 
  • Lady Gaga - 911. I imagine that critics and others were probably "meh" on 911. But nobody does odd like Lady Gaga. That chunky bass line is made to get you to move those hips. And it builds up that last bridge that has such a frenetic energy. 
  • Lil Nas X - MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name): Slutty Satan ala the video is the Halloween costume of the clubs we were all robbed of. You can literally feel the sweat on the dance floor hearing Lil Nas X groan. 
  • Olivia Rodrigo - good 4 u. Imagine the most tame mosh pit you have ever seen. 

On 08/11/2021 at 05:36, fourstarfizzle said:

At first I thought you meant Rites of Spring from DC, that's a band I'd have loved to see live, and for a song by them "Drink Deep". They're all still alive so it could happen.

i have seen ian mackaye a couple times! not performing or anything, he was just still going to dc punk shows when i was living around there

not that he was rites of spring but like if you like them you presumably like fugazi too!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LittleDaniel said:

i have seen ian mackaye a couple times! not performing or anything, he was just still going to dc punk shows when i was living around there

not that he was rites of spring but like if you like them you presumably like fugazi too!

Embrace (also featuring Ian MacKaye) would be a better comparison, I think. They were quite similar in style. Of course Fugazi shared a member or 2, but their music went a slightly different route. In the end they were all part of the same DC post hardcore scene, I know. I just feel since Fugazi tried doing different stuff, Embrace and RoS fans may not necessarily be fans of Fugazi, although they may be, obviously.

Anyway, I loved both of those (Embrace and Rites of Spring). I also like Fugazi, just not as much, despite them being obviously more successful and usually considered more influential than the other 2.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Malenko said:

I also like Fugazi, just not as much, despite them being obviously more successful and usually considered more influential than the other 2.

hmm i mean this is a topic for another thread but i wonder about that. i think that fugazi is most definitely more broadly influential across a wide variety of genres but like....rites of spring *is* emo

• Like 3

Ive seen the Mountain Goats live all but 1 of the 4 times theyve come to Ireland in the last 10 years.

That one time I didn't go they played You Were Cool. So that would be a big one.

I think ive kinda gotten to see people i really wanted to see perform live for the most part. Unless they were dead.

I had always thought it might have been cool in general to have seen Townes van Zandt or Warren Zevon perform live at all. Although the person i know who had seen Townes live a couple of times said he was disappointing.

3 hours ago, Hobo said:

Ive seen the Mountain Goats live all but 1 of the 4 times theyve come to Ireland in the last 10 years.

That one time I didn't go they played You Were Cool. So that would be a big one.

i've still been thinking about this and came to the conclusion that i don't really care about seeing people or songs i've never seen before, i'd just much rather be able to go back to shows i was at and relive them.

anyway all this to say that one of those times is definitely when i saw the mountain goats in bloomington indiana and they played you were cool BUT i got like fifteen phone calls in five minutes so i left the show before the end and i wish i could go back and see it all

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hobo said:

I think ive kinda gotten to see people i really wanted to see perform live for the most part. Unless they were dead.

I had always thought it might have been cool in general to have seen Townes van Zandt or Warren Zevon perform live at all. Although the person i know who had seen Townes live a couple of times said he was disappointing.

I'd have loved to see Townes but yeah, a lot of what I've heard is like "he was so drunk he couldn't really play", stuff like that. 

Without sounding arrogant or just plain absurd.....I'd like to hear my own stuff I play live. I like when people like my music, and someday I would like to play in a band live.

But for real, its not so much songs for me. There are a ton of bands I'd love to see live that I probably wont get the chance. But...I'll try to narrow it down.

Morphine - Mary wont you call my name or they open with Honey White. Fuck yea

The Wipers - Silver Sail

Husker Du - Girl who lives on heaven hill

Lol i almost just put the Dead Boys down but I've seen them. Assume I meant the original lineup.

T. Rex - 20th Century Boy

So many man, impossible to even fathom. 

Uh, Nomeansno - The whole album Wrong

Ok..so now doable...

Human Impact- E605 (this is cheating because I'm seeing them in a few weeks)

Jay Munly - Spitbread Girls

Surfbort - Hideaway

• Like 2