Triad Combat.

K

Did anyone watch Triad Combat over the weekend?

MMA fighters Vs Boxers in a 'hybrid' fighting style. Mostly boxing rules, but in an open clinch you can strike your opponent. 

The other gimmick is that the ring is a triangle, which they say gives combatants fewer places to hide.

I'm only a couple fights in so prolly won't engage with the thread until i'm done.

Also for some reason Metallica and Fat Joe are involved.

Don't mind it for a gimmick, but i dunno if it's sustainable.

Spoiler

My only real issue with it - and I had figured there’d be a lot more, is that Frank Mir should not be doing anything involving head trauma any longer.

Putting him in there against a boxer is just irresponsible. Like, if they want to make a go of this, cut that shit out.

MMA fighters did better than expected, which suggests that the rules (as far as anyone can tell) aren’t too boxing oriented as was maybe first thought.

Wild to see Derek Campos here, and winning. Saw him at Bellator Birmingham the other year, and he looked pretty done with combat sports. Less pleased to see Mike Perry involved.

41 minutes ago, Cymbols said:
  Hide contents

My only real issue with it - and I had figured there’d be a lot more, is that Frank Mir should not be doing anything involving head trauma any longer.

Putting him in there against a boxer is just irresponsible. Like, if they want to make a go of this, cut that shit out.

MMA fighters did better than expected, which suggests that the rules (as far as anyone can tell) aren’t too boxing oriented as was maybe first thought.

Wild to see Derek Campos here, and winning. Saw him at Bellator Birmingham the other year, and he looked pretty done with combat sports. Less pleased to see Mike Perry involved.

Spoiler

I watched the main event and a few of the other fights and I felt uncomfortable watching Frank Mir. He was the most out on his feet I've seen someone for a long time and big respect to Pulev who knew he was pretty much out of it and didn't follow up with any more punches despite the ref not bothering to end the fight for a good few seconds. 

Mir just needs to quit for his own health. I know he probably got a decent amount of cash dangled in front of him but it's not nice to watch. 

7 hours ago, Cymbols said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

This is the same company that got Evander Holyfield back in a ring fighting (albeit in an exhibition) in 2021. Yes, combat sports is largely exploitative, but Triller is a special kind of grimy. Frank Mir isn’t going to be the first lamb sacrificed in there while they burn through cash just for the sake of trying to promote their weird music app while they try to find whatever new niche in the market. 

• 1 month later...

Fite.tv has been pitching Triad Combat 2 to me this week, so i looked up the card. 

The current Triad Combat 2 lineup looks as the following:

Kubrat Pulev vs. Junior dos Santos
Chad Dawson vs. Vitor Belfort
Samuel Teah vs. Jimmie Rivera
Armin Mrkanovic vs. Joe Schilling
Dakota Linger vs. Sam Sicilia
Stephanie Han vs. Claudia Zamora
Martin Allison vs. Mo Zwolak

The musical guest is Jason Aldean, three-time Academy of Country Music “Entertainer of the Year”

On 29/01/2022 at 10:28, K said:

Fite.tv has been pitching Triad Combat 2 to me this week, so i looked up the card. 

The current Triad Combat 2 lineup looks as the following:

Kubrat Pulev vs. Junior dos Santos
Chad Dawson vs. Vitor Belfort
Samuel Teah vs. Jimmie Rivera
Armin Mrkanovic vs. Joe Schilling
Dakota Linger vs. Sam Sicilia
Stephanie Han vs. Claudia Zamora
Martin Allison vs. Mo Zwolak

The musical guest is Jason Aldean, three-time Academy of Country Music “Entertainer of the Year”

Doesn’t measure up to Pillow Fight Championship.