Only Murders in the Building.

K

Absolutely loved it. Really recommend it. 

Three true crime podcast fans become embroiled in a real murder.

Comedy/mystery series starring Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez.

Really one of my favourite things i've watched in a long time.

Don't google it, don't read spoilers, just open up Disney+ or Hulu or whatever and go for it.

• Like 5

I'm already streets ahead of you. I think @Joshand @RazorsEdgewatched it too IIRC?

Season 2 speculation / spoilers for season 1

Spoiler

Who do you think killed Bunny?

Also, I love the running "Gut Milk" gag.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Redeemer CLDY said:

I'm already streets ahead of you. I think @Joshand @RazorsEdgewatched it too IIRC?

Season 2 speculation / spoilers for season 1

Hide contents

Who do you think killed Bunny?

Also, I love the running "Gut Milk" gag.

Spoiler

It was SO fuckin ballsy of them to OPEN season one with the teaser for season two. Incredible.

• Like 1

Also I would like it to be known that LD predicted the twist on season 1 in Facebook messages like a full 2 or 3 weeks before it was revealed. I think he was just making a joke about it and, well..

Anyway, the chemistry between all 3 leads in this is so good. And Steve Martin and Martin Short are delightful. 

Oh and fuck Jane Lynch's bit in the episode she's in was so good.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I loved this show. I know there was a bit of chatter around it in the General thread as it was airing.

Spoiler

Opening the show with the ending of season one was very clever because I held on the entire season wondering when we'd wind up back there.

There's so many options for who killed Bunny. Everyone hates her. There's grifty true crime podcasters out there looking for material. There's fans whose entire lives are true crime podcasts. Just a ton of options.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2021 at 21:37, C-MIL said:

I watched episode 1 and then never picked back up with it. Seems I made a mistake. :(

Yes. Yes, you did.

On 03/12/2021 at 22:42, Your Mom said:

I'll have to watch this now. I trust the taste of a lot of you who liked it so I'll take a chance

Its one of the best shows I've seen in ages. Really hoping for a Chevy Chase appearance at some point, giving us a Three Amigos reunion.

I found it was a bit iffy in parts, Selena Gomez seems to only have one expression (are her cheeks too big? I dunno) and sometimes I find the comedy of Martin Short and Steve Martin to be too... corny, but overall it hooked me enough and I binged it. Fun premise and it's a show that doesn't take itself too seriously imo

11 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Really hoping for a Chevy Chase appearance at some point, giving us a Three Amigos reunion.

Please no

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I enjoyed it - there were some parts that were oddly high concept, and felt a bit at odds with the rest of the show, but I liked that it had that ambition. Steve Martin and Martin Short are great fun, even if not everything landed. Comedy built around "new media" can sometimes be a little cringeworthy, but it felt like they nailed the whole true crime podcast thing - if it felt like people cashing in, or making fun of, a thing they didn't quite understand, it would never have worked.

It was never something that made me desperately want to binge-watch it, or rush to watch the next episode, but it was a nice watch. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Skummy said:

I enjoyed it - there were some parts that were oddly high concept, and felt a bit at odds with the rest of the show, but I liked that it had that ambition. Steve Martin and Martin Short are great fun, even if not everything landed. Comedy built around "new media" can sometimes be a little cringeworthy, but it felt like they nailed the whole true crime podcast thing - if it felt like people cashing in, or making fun of, a thing they didn't quite understand, it would never have worked.

It was never something that made me desperately want to binge-watch it, or rush to watch the next episode, but it was a nice watch. 

I didn't delve too deeply into it but I got the sense the creative forces behind the show had, at least, listened to the first season of Serial on edge each week. Like they knew what some of the world around true crime podcasts looked like and how it is practically its own subculture.

It never felt like they were poking fun at some new thing they didn't understand. Which, while admittedly being someone who is largely put off by true crime podcasts, would've ruined the show.

• Like 1