Worst Christmas songs

The Kraig

4 hours ago, How The Kyle Stole Xmas said:

My least favourite thing is when a dude covers Santa Baby and makes it sound like it's not about wanting to fuck Santa. For the next three minutes, you are into dudes. Deal with it.

Fortunately, I've avoided hearing that. But Madonna's version is especially atrocious.

22 hours ago, Gorka said:

56 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Fortunately, I've avoided hearing that. But Madonna's version is especially atrocious.

See Gorkas post above then.

22 hours ago, damshow said:

Wonderful Christmastime is a dreadful song that people have worked for over 50 years to convince themselves is good because it's got Paul McCartney attached to it. But it's Paul McCartney phoning it in for a Christmas cash grab.

Honestly the part that always annoys me is this:

The choir of children sing their song
They practiced all year long

What a boring fucking choir, why are they doing just one song all year?

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

See Gorkas post above then.

I like Michael Buble, but I've honestly no desire to hear that.....

1 hour ago, The Kraig said:

Today I learned Cliff Richard once sang a good song.

Reveal hidden contents

Devil Woman

Its actually a great song. I've just never had a desire to check any of his other songs. 

Plus, it was co-written by Bob Geldof. Geldof co-wrote and performed "I Don't Like Mondays" with the Boomtown Rats. Surprisingly, the song managed to make it to #73 in the U.S., despite being the drizzling shits. 

If I want to listen to a depressing Christmas song, I'll go throw on Weird Al Yankovic's "Christmas At Ground Zero", thank you very much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Plus, it was co-written by Bob Geldof. Geldof co-wrote and performed "I Don't Like Mondays" with the Boomtown Rats. Surprisingly, the song managed to make it to #73 in the U.S., despite being the drizzling shits.

I know exactly 3 Boomtown Rats songs, including "I Don't Like Mondays", and I like them all tbh. Midge Ure  only really know him from Ultravox. I only know one song by Ultravox and it's"Vienna". It's fine, I guess.

The talent of the writers isn't the problem. The problem is it's a hastily churned out song about how bad it is in generic "Africa" sung by mostly white and largely British performers. It's also the prime example of a celebrity led charity drives. Which are more about making the people involved look good than actually doing anything to help their intended targets.

8 minutes ago, Hobo said:

I know exactly 3 Boomtown Rats songs, including "I Don't Like Mondays", and I like them all tbh. Midge Ure  only really know him from Ultravox. I only know one song by Ultravox and it's"Vienna". It's fine, I guess.

Certified banger:

49 minutes ago, Hobo said:

The talent of the writers isn't the problem. The problem is it's a hastily churned out song about how bad it is in generic "Africa" sung by mostly white and largely British performers. It's also the prime example of a celebrity led charity drives. Which are more about making the people involved look good than actually doing anything to help their intended targets.

I believe the impetus was the famine in Ethiopia but sung by people who couldn't really point to Ethiopia on a map or knew the background into why Ethiopia was experiencing such a horrific famine. It led to the American counterpart "We are the World" which eventually led to the dreadfully embarrassing "We are the World 25". A song that for some reason had comedic actor Vince Vaughn involved. It's all very tacky but at least in the 80s these songs get some minor forgiveness because there was still a level of optimism about what western neoliberalism could do in a "post-imperial" world.

Also Boomtown Rats are alright. Noting exceptional but I've never wanted to turn off their music. Ultravox is probably better overall. Arguably both have divisive sounds.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

Similarly the hoo-ha about these shit Ladbaby songs every year.