Worst Christmas songs

The Kraig

1 minute ago, damshow said:

I believe the impetus was the famine in Ethiopia but sung by people who couldn't really point to Ethiopia on a map or knew the background into why Ethiopia was experiencing such a horrific famine.

It was. I believe Bob Geldof saw a news report about the Ethiopian famine and it kicked the whole thing off.

Perhaps the biggest sign of them not knowing much about Ethiopia lies in asking "Do they know it's Christmas?" about a country where the majority celebrate Christmas in January not December.

Whenever I find myself thinking about this song I suddenly remember there were other versions. The original, Band Aid II, Band Aid 20 and Band Aid 30. All with different line ups.  I don't know if I've heard 2 or 30 but I remember Band Aid 20. Although all I really can recall of it is Bono's lifeless vocals  and there was a rap verse??

Apparently they changed some lyrics for Band Aid 30.

• Like 1

I think I'm in the extreme minority of liking Band Aid, though it does get increasingly worse with every revision. Like, I think it's 20 with Ellie Goulding and I can't stand the way she sings.

Band Aid II though is amazing. It was done by Stock, Aikman and Waterman and is filled with people from their stable like Kylie, Jason Donovan, Cliff Richards and the guy from Wet Wet Wet. It has this really cheesy drum beat behind it and it just completely obliterates somber tone that the lyrics would normally suggest. Plus everyone in the video looks like they're enjoying themselves too much. Like Cliff is really giving it socks in his part, holding his headphones on as he's swaying his head about, or there's this shot of all the lads holding Kylie up. Just feels off to be like "All these people in Africa are starving so here's a bunch of celebs pissing about."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Redeemer CLDY said:

All this thread has made me do is put on Boomtown Rats this morning. Thank you!

The first time I ever heard a Boomtown Rats song was when Irish children's television puppet/Eurovision entry Dustin The Turkey sang it with Bob Geldolf. A guy I knew at school insisted that Dustin and wrote it with Geldof.

Dustin also covered Fairytale of New York with actress Dervla Kirwan. So, if you ever wanted to see the star of 90s British time travelling bigamy sitcom Goodnight Sweetheart direct a slur at a children's television puppet. That exists.

The only Boomtown Rats song I'm really super familiar with is I Don't Like Mondays. Any videos of puppets singing that?

8 minutes ago, The Redeemer CLDY said:

The only Boomtown Rats song I'm really super familiar with is I Don't Like Mondays. Any videos of puppets singing that?

Dustin states in "Rat Trap" that he would rather have sang "I Don't Like Mondays" if that helps?

• Like 1

On 20/12/2021 at 20:37, King Ellis said:

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year is garbage and doesn't even make sense. Who tells ghost stories at Christmas? Well, unless he meant A Christmas Carol...

I think ghost stories at Christmas was fairly traditional pre Nintendo, that's why a Christmas Carol is even a thing.

1 hour ago, Naitch said:

Similarly the hoo-ha about these shit Ladbaby songs every year.

From what I've seen, Ladbaby is one of those head-in-the-sand twats who still probably unironically says "the prime minister is doing a decent job, despite the mess left behind by the last Labour government". Funnily enough, nobody would need to donate to food banks if they hadn't skyrocketed as a concept in the last 11 and a half years.

On 23/12/2021 at 13:29, Hobo said:

Perhaps the biggest sign of them not knowing much about Ethiopia lies in asking "Do they know it's Christmas?" about a country where the majority celebrate Christmas in January not December.

I remember years ago watching Pop Up Video on VH1 where the usual bits of trivia basically read as a fact check correction service. Pointing out all the inaccuracies of the lyrics.

On 23/12/2021 at 14:12, JoeyJoeJoeShabadoo said:

https://borisjohnson.info/

This really needs to beat it this year

By a fair amount of accounts last year it was "God Save the Queen'd" so even were it do so again it won't get the Christmas  number 1 slot.

On that note, has anything really done much in the way of making a stand or protesting against the shit christmas number 1s apart from that time we turned Killing in the Name into a Christmas classic?