Formula One 2022

Lineker

• 2 weeks later...

I can obviously understand the financial motivation but I find the idea of the US having 2 (and soon 3) races a bit distasteful. (Plus I don’t sympathise with the financial motivation because I don’t want Americans watching F1).

Thought I may as well throw the UK times for the weekend in here, as they're a little bit crazy:

Today

FP1: 19:30

FP2: 22:30

Tomorrow

FP3: 18:00

Qualifying: 21:00

Sunday

Race: 20:30 (I don't remember the last time a race start wasn't on the hour, or those weird years of 10 past)

10 hours ago, Chris2K said:

The track is the American version of Azerbaijan, the Mercs appear to have found something resembling pace, and Sainz has of course binned it into the wall.

It’s beginning to look like Ferrari jumped the gun on extending Sainz. I’m assuming they’re hoping Mick will come on enough over the rest of the contract term to fill his seat in a couple of years but if Carlos doesn’t get his shit together they won’t be winning any constructors titles in that time.

If the Mercedes’ upgrade package is the real deal, and it isn’t just Miami flattering them, then with three teams running at the top of the field they can’t afford Sainz to keep slamming it into walls or spinning off.

The United States GP typically comes and goes with little-to-no coverage over here but there's a lot of hype around this race. In part because Miami (and Vegas next year) are such natural fits for the image of F1, whereas our most popular auto races are associated with giant oval tracks in the middle of nowhere. But Drive to Survive seems to have helped Gen Z looking for a new sport to get into. Much like my age cohort flocked to the Premier League. It's been interesting to watch, but I guess not all too surprising.

What is pretty surprising is it's standing out on a weekend with the NBA and NHL playoffs as well as the Kentucky Derby. But the latter happens on a Saturday evening and doesn't conflict with the race on Sunday afternoon.

19 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Way too early to be making statements like these. He is on a bad run, but remains a superb driver.

This is a fair point and I’m a big fan of Sainz. I’d also forgot he finished ahead of Charles last season.

I think that statement has been driven by the fact he signed the contract and then shit just started going tits up for him.

Alice Powell clipped the wall in the W Series race and it totalled everything, debris everywhere and the cars had to go back to the Pit lane for 10 minutes.

It was an innocuous collision yet the race was derailed. Can see this weekend being chaos all around!

2 hours ago, Lineker said:

Way too early to be making statements like these. He is on a bad run, but remains a superb driver.

You must have used your inside contacts to see a prior recording of this qualifying session.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Adam said:

Alice Powell clipped the wall in the W Series race and it totalled everything, debris everywhere and the cars had to go back to the Pit lane for 10 minutes.

It was an innocuous collision yet the race was derailed. Can see this weekend being chaos all around!

The speed of red flags being thrown these days makes me think we're going to get at least one. If a car goes off in the single-lane-chicane then that chaos might just happen.

The drivers are almost unanimous in criticising the track surface because driving on it is basically polishing it into an ice rink.

• Like 1