If you could go back in time and see ANY concert....

GhostMachine

Before I finish the question, I want to explain that I asked it at another board, and too many answers included festivals. Someone even said Live Aid, and another said the first Lalapalooza because that's the only one they missed. Festivals are boring answers that you really don't have to think about before answering.

If you could go back in time and see any concert, what would it be? It could be one from a particular tour by a band you like, or a band or act that isn't around any more (ie, the Beatles, Bon Scott era-AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix, The Who with Keith Moon, etc.) In fact, you can list one of each, if you want.

There's a small venue in my town where most of the big acts used to play in the 1960s. Experiencing one of those would be interesting.

As for specific acts, Dio-era Rainbow springs to mind. I'd also have liked to see The Carpenters and ABBA, if you're looking for something mellower. Seeing a Tom Lehrer concert would have been nice too.

• Like 1

Probably go back and see LCD Soundsystem at Glastonbury in 2016. Seen hundreds of gigs/sets but even still that's an absolute stand out, GOAT for me. Never experienced anything like it before or since in terms of a perfect storm of a performance, crowd, atmosphere etc. Blur's 2009 set is one that gets raved about all the time too, and they were my first ever favourite band, so would likely lump for that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

I want to explain that I asked it at another board

Why are you cheating on us? : /

Also in terms of setting and historical significance I'd love to have been there to see something at the Palais Garnier in the late 19th century. Or the Fenice in Venice. Or so many others. I love these old opera houses and it would have been incredible to have seen something there when they were at their height.

I'd also have liked to have seen the Rolling Stones in ... let's say 1970.

• Like 3

I never saw either Dio nor Motörhead live. So any of their shows. For Dio it would be a show from either the Holy Diver, Last in Line or first half of the Sacred Heart tour when Vivian Campbell was still in the band. For Motörhead any era would do except the final few years of the band's existence when Lemmy started to decline physically. I'd even be curious to see what the band was like live with Brian Robertson in 1983. Alternatively I would also love to see Helloween during the Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part 2 tour in 1988 when Kai Hansen was still with the band and Kiske was in his prime. 

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 2

I would go and see Refused in the tour for The Shape of Punk to Come. Refused as a band was falling apart and the shows around that time are legendary. 

Daft Punks Alive 2007 shows would have been iconic to see alive. 

• Like 1

On 26/12/2021 at 17:27, John McClaDMNe said:

The Clash at Bond's in 1981.

Unfortuately, they never played CBGBs, so that would have to do.

Shocked that you didn't answer with D.I. Live in a Dive. 

For me, I'd have loved to see The Ramones right as they broke ground in CBGB in 76 or so. 

Morphine at St. Andrews Hall in Detroit in 94 would have been great. The show is on an album so it can be heard, but St. Andrews is the best music venue in Detroit in my opinion, and a favorite of mine played there. 

Black Sabbath in Paris, France. I believe it was 1970, again this footage is available, it's on YouTube, probably the best version of War Pigs you will ever hear. 

Fuck it, see for yourself. 

• Like 1

Don't know if it would be at the very top of my list, but it would certainly be on it. Depeche Mode at the Rose Bowl in 1988 (fortunately it's been recorded for their best live album). Also of course Bob Dylan right when he went electric and all the hardcore folk fans were furious.

The Stones in the 70s, Hendrix at any point in his career, Black Sabbath in Paris was mentioned above as well though I'd just go with any really early Sabbath concert, Television at CBGB's, Bowie in his first US tour with the Ziggy Stardust persona (maybe at Max's?), Genesis with Peter Gabriel back when they played small college event centers in the US, Stevie Wonder in the 70s, Nirvana in '91 when they started breaking out songs from "Nevermind" but before they were the biggest thing in music.

Plenty of options. 

• Like 1

On 28/12/2021 at 16:06, VerBlue Christmas said:

Shocked that you didn't answer with D.I. Live in a Dive. 

For me, I'd have loved to see The Ramones right as they broke ground in CBGB in 76 or so. 

Morphine at St. Andrews Hall in Detroit in 94 would have been great. The show is on an album so it can be heard, but St. Andrews is the best music venue in Detroit in my opinion, and a favorite of mine played there. 

Black Sabbath in Paris, France. I believe it was 1970, again this footage is available, it's on YouTube, probably the best version of War Pigs you will ever hear. 

Fuck it, see for yourself. 

My dad saw Sabbath in the late 70s and has seen Ozzy live multiple times. Said Sabbath was pretty killer from what he remembered (lots of weed and lots of smoke and lots of drugs so he doesn't remember much), and some little band just getting their breakthrough called Van Halen opened for them on that tour. 

• Like 1

My own answers, by the way:

Queen. The Magic Tour. Incredible setlist, with only disappointment being that they didn't do "Princes of the Universe" live. (I'm a big Highlander fan) I've heard audio from one of the concerts on that tour, but it would have great to see it live. 

Also, Def Leppard. Pyromania. Still to this day one of my all-time favorite albums (Not a bad song on it. Their follow up, Hysteria, has a couple). I was 12 when it came out.

More modern, but still old? Kamelot. The Black Halo tour. Roy Khan at the top of his game, and I would absolutely love to hear "The Haunting (Somewhere In Time)" and "March Of Mephisto" live. 

• Like 1