General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

On 07/01/2022 at 18:56, Jimmy said:

For any Toast of London fans, Toast of Tinseltown has landed on iPlayer (from little advertising as far as I can tell) and it's mostly fantastic. I think it's my favourite Matt Berry thing - I'd defo recommend both series to people who only know him recently from What We Do In The Shadows. 

• Like 2

Apparently Dexter: New Blood's final episode is already streaming?! Spoilers for the show's finale:

Spoiler

Dexter finally dies (!), at the hands of his son, Harrison. 

Specifically, his new GF (the sheriff, Angela) corners him and gets in contact with Bautista, who is shook that Dexter is still alive and comes to realize that LaGuerta's suspicions about Dexter were correct the whole time. Bautista is on his way to upstate NY when the sheriff leaves Dexter alone, and Dexter murders one of her deputies to get his keys so he can escape from jail. That deputy was also one of Harrison's coaches at school, and Harrison realizes that Dexter's "Code" is bullshit.

Dexter also has his first real moment of understanding and actual connection -- and "real love" -- when he realizes that he's no better than the people he kills, and urges Harrison to kill him (while walking him through how to fire a gun). Harrison shoots him in the chest.

Angela arrives first, Harrison tries to turn himself in, but she lets him go and calls it in as an "officer involved shooting". 

Whole bunch of fans mad at this ending but it's honestly the ending the show should have had in the first place, more or less. Dexter's always been the "anti-hero" or whatever you want to root for, but at some point it has to all come crashing down and the writers can't just keep pulling convenient tropes and tricks out of their ass to justify how he gets out of this one, you know?

1 hour ago, The Redeemer CLDY said:

Apparently Dexter: New Blood's final episode is already streaming?! Spoilers for the show's finale:

Reveal hidden contents

Whatever app Showtime uses in the states released them early all season. They released early in Canada too on Crave.

• Like 1

No, this isn't a parody of a "gritty reboot" Fresh Prince...this is serious..

On 09/01/2022 at 13:39, The Redeemer CLDY said:

Reveal hidden contents

I hated the last few seasons of Dexter, is this worth watching?

8 hours ago, Lint said:

No, this isn't a parody of a "gritty reboot" Fresh Prince...this is serious..

It's emblematic of a world where people are so media illiterate they can't watch the original Fresh Prince and pick up on the serious themes the show put behind all the laughs. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Moses Julep said:

I hated the last few seasons of Dexter, is this worth watching?

I would say so. It's still not great and has its own plot holes, but it wraps the series up 100x better than the original. 

• Like 1

Most of the criticism around the final episode of Dexter: New Blood, that I've seen, (SPOILERS obviously)

Spoiler

revolves around the fact that Dexter dies and people didn't want to see their precious baby anti-hero serial killer die. It's wild. This is exactly, imo, how the show should have ended 10 years ago or whatever. No stupid hurricane bullshit, no stupid "he's a lumberjack now", no cop out bullshit about how Dexter gets to stay alive and have a "normal" life or whatever. I thought it was perfect: in that moment, with a gun trained on him by his own son, Dexter feels real love for the first time in his life, realizes that the only way his son can ever lead a normal life is if he dies, and Harrison is the one who puts his dad out of his own misery once and for all. 

It serves to show that Harrison is both like and unlike his dad. Does he have his own "dark passenger"? Yes, he does -- but unlike Dexter, Harrison doesn't want to give in to it. Harrison wants to, by all accounts, live a normal life and try to deal with those urges in a healthier way (i.e. not being a fucking serial murderer, but I digress..).

Anyway, yeah. 

apparently New Blood is the most watched Showtime series ever, which honestly surprises me given how terrible the last few seasons were. People really love Dexter and wanted that show to be redeemed, I guess. I'll probably finish the season (limited series?) sometime this week. The first episode didn't really hook me in all that much, but I'll give it another chance - the first episodes are usually the tough ones to get through anyway.

I still need to finish S5 of Search Party. I think I might have had the ending spoiled for me, and if that's true - I need to see how they get to that point, because it honestly sounds fucking crazy.

Pen15 was really good.  I like me some cringe comedy.  Some of the background stuff that was happening was super relatable simply due to the fact I was in middle school at the same time period this show was set in.

Like the music they used made me really nostalgic.  And that damn AIM episode...

Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2021 was really good. I'm watching the 2020 edition right now, it's not as good when Jonathan Ross isn't there but Richard Ayoade and Katherine Ryan are here, so it all works out! 

If anyone is on the fence about watching Insecure, don't! What a great series. I'm a sucker for the Sex and the City likes and Insecure is definitely the best of the bunch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tristy said:

Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2021 was really good. I'm watching the 2020 edition right now, it's not as good when Jonathan Ross isn't there but Richard Ayoade and Katherine Ryan are here, so it all works out! 

We enjoyed the BFQOTY 2021, but Jonathan Ross was easily the worst part. His incessant Olympics bit nearly had us cursing our television.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josh said:

We enjoyed the BFQOTY 2021, but Jonathan Ross was easily the worst part. His incessant Olympics bit nearly had us cursing our television.

I thought Jonathan was totally fine but there are so many comedians they could have had on who would have been better than him.

• Like 1