General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

I maintain a huge problem with the TV series after GOT surpassed the books is they had an outline of everything that would happen, likely stuck to a fair bit of it, but they had no ability to properly write "character went from doing A to doing B".

Spoiler

Cersei's entire shtick was she would do anything for her children and then without a ton of build just decided that she'd be the catalyst in Tommen's suicide. I know it turned a ton of people off from the show because of how out of character it felt. But it's pretty clear they could have with ease shown that deep inside she would do anything for her children because it was what kept her closest to Jaime. But they were a bit bad with nuance those TV show writers.

You get the worst form of it with Daenerys torching King's Landing, which infuriated everyone especially all the people who named their kids after her despite being urged not to by people who read the books and knew where there was smoke there was fire. All the good things she did as a leader were because people wanted her to be a great leader but all she truly wanted was revenge for the treatment of her family. And it is something that should've slowly been brought to the fore, but they gave her exactly one scene where you see the anger rising and then one more where she kills thousands of innocent people because they're worn out from war and don't really care who rules over them.

Got a little ranty but since I doubt we'll ever see these major plot points told better (among others) since GRRM won't ever finish the books I get a bit passionate. The TV writers treated it like a soap opera where the twists happen to keep you watching as opposed to making a ton of sense.

I'm interested in the prequel but of all the possible options for a story to tell it was low on my list. 

• Like 4

On 22/01/2022 at 18:06, Moses Julep said:

I highly recommend another show from the creator called Enlightened. It is very similar and Laura Dern is amazing in it.

Two episodes in and this show is making me question existence. 

On 20/01/2022 at 22:48, Ruki Returns said:

Not sure where to post this but... damn, for a kickstarter cartoon based on a D&D game, they got some huge cast members. 

Watched the first few episodes of it. So good, lots of little in references but I think it'd still hold up well on its own. Always hard to judge something when you're already half way invested in it so would like to see what newcomers would make of it but I'm really pleased with how it's started. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

Watched the first few episodes of it. So good, lots of little in references but I think it'd still hold up well on its own. Always hard to judge something when you're already half way invested in it so would like to see what newcomers would make of it but I'm really pleased with how it's started. 

My wife and I watched all three last night, we loved'em. Waiting a week is gonna suck. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ruki Returns said:

My wife and I watched all three last night, we loved'em. Waiting a week is gonna suck. 

I'm going to wait until all the episodes are out, then use my free Prime month to watch them all. I'm pretty excited, since I actually only started watching Critical Role is Campaign 2. 

We watched the first episode of The After Party on Apple TV+.

It’s a comedy murder mystery produced by Lord and Miller (21 Jump Street, The Lego Movie, etc.,) starring an ensemble cast of great comic actors like Tiffany Haddish, Sam Richardson, Ben Schwartz, and more. The first 3 episodes (45ish minutes each) came out yesterday, and the remaining 5 will be released weekly.

It’s super fun. You can see Lord and Miller’s influence all over it. So far seems like an actually good mystery and very funny. I laughed out loud several times.

Holy shit episode 1 of Righteous Gemstones S2.

Spoiler

That intro. I guess Eli Gemstone's already lived one hell of a life before we were introduced, eh?

15 hours ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window is absolutely freaking bonkers. Definitely weird, satirical at times, but just overall bonkers. Kristen Bell is great in it

I'm on the last episode right now.