The 2022 Music Thread

METALMAN

Was just about to post about the new Orville Peck stuff, it's great. There's a four track EP, but it's being launched as "Chapter One" of his upcoming album.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dolly Parton wrote a letter to the Rock Hall of Fame saying she wanted to remove herself from consideration for this year's class.

And the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame has said they refuse to remove her from consideration. 😐 

2 minutes ago, Gorka said:

New Arcade Fire album out in May with two songs released already. It's five years on since the panned Everything Now, could be an important release for them.

I didn't even recall Everything Now. Is it worth checking out? I saw Geoff from Portishead and one half of Daft Punk produced some of it. 

15 minutes ago, RPS said:

I didn't even recall Everything Now. Is it worth checking out? I saw Geoff from Portishead and one half of Daft Punk produced some of it. 

Well, the title track is a grower and 'Put Your Money On Me' is one of Arcade Fire's better tracks but it's an album that I haven't revisited because the lyrics are a bit wank, and a really rough first half.

4 minutes ago, Gorka said:

Well, the title track is a grower and 'Put Your Money On Me' is one of Arcade Fire's better tracks but it's an album that I haven't revisited because the lyrics are a bit wank, and a really rough first half.

It's interesting because I have revisited Neon Bible, the Suburbs and Reflektor and I have come to realize Arcade Fire are vastly overrated in my opinion. Some bands can do one thing extraordinary - production, song writing, innovation, etc. I think Arcade Fire just does everything really good but nothing spectacular. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, RPS said:

It's interesting because I have revisited Neon Bible, the Suburbs and Reflektor and I have come to realize Arcade Fire are vastly overrated in my opinion. Some bands can do one thing extraordinary - production, song writing, innovation, etc. I think Arcade Fire just does everything really good but nothing spectacular. 

You know, I think Arcade Fire are one of those bands where it just has to click from the start - like, I don't hear many people that are Arcade Fire converts after some scepticism.

I think it's also a flaw with indie/alternative journalism that any band with a bit of hype behind them becomes this massively important 'oh you have to listen to this' act, and ultimately you're sort of left scratching your head when it's not to your tastes.

Still, I think Funeral is a beautiful album - and the Suburbs will always be one of the first albums that I fell in love with as a teenager, and just repeated over and over.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gorka said:

I think it's also a flaw with indie/alternative journalism that any band with a bit of hype behind them becomes this massively important 'oh you have to listen to this' act, and ultimately you're sort of left scratching your head when it's not to your tastes.

I agree. I also think that part of is the need to always be excellent and never good. You need to be the top 50 best albums of the year or get that coveted best new music designation. 

Look at the Killers. They have released a handful of very good albums, chart well, tour across the globe. I'm sure they wouldn't mind 10/10 reviews but who cares when you can do what you love for the rest of your life and have financial security. Especially when the desire to have positive press release is out of your hands. You could get a middling review from one outlet as an upstart indie rock band and it's done.

• Like 1

Sum 41 are releasing a double album later this year, one half leaning on their pop punk side and the other going for a heavier metal direction. Sounds good to me. Pop punk fans of the letter S are having a great 2022 - Stand Atlantic, Simple Plan, and State Champs all have albums announced too for May.

Not sure what I'd say my favourite release of the year so far is. Ghost's album is great and I liked Bastille's and The Sherlocks' more than expected, but I think I'm still waiting for something to jump out and say "Album of the Year Contender".

On initial listen I don't dig it as much as I did the song they put out last year, Son of Sin. 

But on subsequent listens I'm kinda warming up to it.

Miley Cyrus is putting out her first live album. Here's a tracklist:

1. “Attention”
2. “We Can’t Stop X Where Is My Mind?”
3. “Plastic Hearts”
4. “Heart of Glass”
5. “4×4”
6. “(SMS) Bangerz”
7. “Dooo It!”
8. “23”
9. “Never Be Me”
10. “Maybe”
11. “7 Things”
12. “Bang Bang X See You Again”
13. “Jolene”
14. “High”
15. “You”
16. “Like a Prayer”
17. “Edge of Midnight (Midnight Sky Remix)”
18. “The Climb”
19. “Wrecking Ball X Nothing Compares 2 U”
20. “Party In The U.S.A.”

I'm kind of interested in hearing tracks 2, 12, and 19. And I'm always down to hear her perform "Jolene".

On 23/03/2022 at 21:40, My Chemical JeRomance said:

Sum 41 are releasing a double album later this year, one half leaning on their pop punk side and the other going for a heavier metal direction. Sounds good to me. Pop punk fans of the letter S are having a great 2022 - Stand Atlantic, Simple Plan, and State Champs all have albums announced too for May.

Not sure what I'd say my favourite release of the year so far is. Ghost's album is great and I liked Bastille's and The Sherlocks' more than expected, but I think I'm still waiting for something to jump out and say "Album of the Year Contender".

I had high hopes for MGK's latest album but it's quite bland compared to his previous one. Avril Lavigne's new album is a banger though. Lots of influence from John Feldmann and Travis Barker helps it hugely.

My pick so far is Hot Water Music's Feel the Void. I wouldn't even put it in the top half of Hot Water Music's albums, but I haven't listened to a LOT of new stuff yet, so there's that.

Stuff I've liked regardless of genre in alphabetical order: Anxious - Little Green House; Avril Lavigne - Love Sux; Bodyjar - New Rituals; Charli XCX - Crash; Comeback Kid - Heavy Steps; Drug Church - Hygiene; Honningbarna - Animorphs; Pinegrove - 11:11; Underoath - Voyeurist; vein.fm - This World Is Going to Ruin You; Wolves at the Gate - Eulogies; Yard Act - Overload;

Stuff I expected to like but didn't: 

Black Country, New Road - Ants from Up There; Spoon - Lucifer on the Sofa;

Next In Line: 

Frank Turner; Ho99o9; Superchunk;

• Like 2

On 28/03/2022 at 02:24, Serpenticloud said:

Miley Cyrus is putting out her first live album. Here's a tracklist:

I'm kind of interested in hearing tracks 2, 12, and 19. And I'm always down to hear her perform "Jolene".

On 18/03/2022 at 13:08, RPS said:

You should listen to Chemistry from it. It is hilariously bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, METALMAN said:

You should listen to Chemistry from it. It is hilariously bad.

Wow. That is definitely a song I listened too. It sounded like they completed half of a song and just gave up. 

• Haha 1