General Movie Thread 2022

RPS

Here he is telling the story of how sam peckinpah cast him for the ballad of cable hogue

And how warner thought his fear of flying was going to lose him that part

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hobo said:

David Warner (Batman TAS, Freakazoid, Tron, The Omen, The Ballad of Cable Hogue, Titanic, Star Trek - The Final Frontier and The Undiscovered Country AND TNG plus a whole heap of other roles) died aged 80.

Legitimate one of my favourite actors. He was great in everything even Quest of the Delta Knights on MST3K.

Been quite the bad run for "people who were on Twin Peaks" the last few years...

• Sad 2

23 hours ago, Hobo said:

David Warner (Batman TAS, Freakazoid, Tron, The Omen, The Ballad of Cable Hogue, Titanic, Star Trek - The Final Frontier and The Undiscovered Country AND TNG plus a whole heap of other roles) died aged 80.

Legitimate one of my favourite actors. He was great in everything even Quest of the Delta Knights on MST3K.

He was great in Conviction. Gritty crime drama where he played a former police man with dementia in the back drop of the story being told.  

He was also in an Amicus movie. From Beyond The Grave. Very fun story. 

6 hours ago, 9 to 5 said:

David Warner was one of those guys you were always excited to see pop up in whatever you were watching as he is just such a good actor no matter what he is in or doing.

There are a handful of actors where I always give something they're in an extra star (or point) when rating something just due to their presence. He was one of those actors.

• Like 2

On 23/07/2022 at 05:33, Hellraiser said:

I hope they stick with it this time around. I remember when Laurie Strode decapitated Myers in H20 and that was supposed to be it. Until H20 was really successful and the studio wanted to make another one and in one of the most stupid retcons in movie history, it turns out the guy Laurie decapitated wasn't Myers, but some poor EMT Myers put his mask and overall on and then tied up and gagged so he couldn't talk. And then they kill Laurie Strode in the first 15 minutes of Resurrection, robbing Michael of his entire raison d'être. And in the end he gets an axe driven through his skull by Busta Rhymes.

He actually gets karate kicked and electrocuted, then left behind in a burning garage. At the very end he wakes back up on the coroner's table.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Toe said:

He actually gets karate kicked and electrocuted, then left behind in a burning garage. At the very end he wakes back up on the coroner's table.

My bad. I misremembered that scene. It is a shovel that Rhymes hits Myers with after he shouts "Trick or treat, motherfucker!" at him. It was a bizarre movie. I kinda wanted them to make a follow-up to it just to see what zany stuff they would have come up with next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellraiser said:

My bad. I misremembered that scene. It is a shovel that Rhymes hits Myers with after he shouts "Trick or treat, motherfucker!" at him. It was a bizarre movie. I kinda wanted them to make a follow-up to it just to see what zany stuff they would have come up with next.

The movie would have worked if it was not a Halloween film. Liked the idea behind it and could be redone with smartphone or go pro style filming aspect of today's advancement of technology since then and the way streaming is and apps to go live from. Keep the idea of it being in an old dark house setting with a slasher serial killer. Just not Michael Myers. 

There's a lot I liked and disliked about it. But enjoyed it for what it was at the time. The whole timeline of Halloween movies is weird with the amount of reboots or which one now we are told does not to matter in the grand scheme of thing's. 

Really enjoyed the 6th film with Paul Rudd and H20. But each has faults about them. Most of the franchise can be looked at having good and bad moments. 

Yet to get around to the new movies. Going to give them a watch in October. 

Have you seen the theatrical cut of Halloween 6 or the producer's cut? The theatrical cut is a huge mess. The producer's cut doesn't make the movie much better, just more coherent.

And there are 5 timelines in the franchise:

1. 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 (Thorn timeline)
  2. 3 (Shamrock timeline in which the original movie is played on a TV in the background of a scene)
  3. 1, 2, H20, Resurrection
  4. The Rob Zombie remake timeline
  5. 1, Halloween 2018, Kills, Ends
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellraiser said:

Also, the EMT wasn't exactly tied up and gagged. Michael crushed his windpipe so he couldn't talk.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:

Have you seen the theatrical cut of Halloween 6 or the producer's cut? The theatrical cut is a huge mess. The producer's cut doesn't make the movie much better, just more coherent.

Yes the cut is bad and both versions are a mess with the plot. Think it's the charm of being the first movie that I watched and Paul Rudd in it. Not saying it's great. But is one I will watch anytime I can do. 

48 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:

It is still a stupid retcon.

Oh, you'll get no argument from me. But I'd still rather watch H20 5 times over than watch Halloween Kills again just once.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Oh, you'll get no argument from me. But I'd still rather watch H20 5 times over than watch Halloween Kills again just once.  

I'm not saying H20 was bad. I enjoyed it. Probably the best Helloween movie since the 2nd one and the ending worked for me. It would have been a decent conclusion for the franchise. Unfortunately it was a financial success which let to that pointless sequel being made.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:

I'm not saying H20 was bad. I enjoyed it. Probably the best Helloween movie since the 2nd one and the ending worked for me. It would have been a decent conclusion for the franchise. Unfortunately it was a financial success which let to that pointless sequel being made.  

No doubt. But then again, I prefer to pretend 5 and 6 didn't happen (and thanks to Kills....they didn't!), because 5 wasn't a good movie, and the whole Thorn Cult curse thing was CRAP.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

No doubt. But then again, I prefer to pretend 5 and 6 didn't happen (and thanks to Kills....they didn't!), because 5 wasn't a good movie, and the whole Thorn Cult curse thing was CRAP.

That cult never made sense to me. What was their goal? And why the hell did it involve Myers impregnating his own niece?

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 1