General Movie Thread 2022

RPS

On 14/07/2022 at 18:32, Hobo said:

4 years ago Michael Flatley (the dancer best known for the shows Riverdance and Lord of the Dance) made a movie.

Its finally getting a release. In Ireland anyway.

Its out and the reviews are what you'd expect

Top Gun: Maverick was just as good as the original, even though you have to set aside that Pete (Maverick) wouldn't be in the Navy at the rank of Captain 36 years later. Read complaints that the final mission was 

Spoiler

a rip-off of the assault on the Death Star from Star Wars: A New Hope. Well, since most space battle footage was based on real WW2 footage...

Though, they did have to blow up a small target just like in ANH, and telling Rooster to not think I *guess* could be taken as similar to "Use the Force, Luke!"...

Wouldn't mind a third movie with Miles Teller as the lead, but no big deal if there isn't a third. Cruise being the lead at this point would be too unbelievable.

Clerks III is a really bad movie and I can't imagine I'll ever watch a Kevin Smith film again (not surprising since the last one I watched before this was probably Clerks II) but it seems like everyone had fun making it and the dedication to bringing back as many people as they possibly could for it, right down to various extras, has a certain charm, it's self-indulgent in a good way where most of the script is self-indulgent in a really bad way. Does make me wish that Jeff Anderson had really made a run at being a character actor, because he's still pretty good in this and if he's good in this he could have been good in way better-made films too.

I've no interest in the film itself really as I've really lost any interest in whatever Kevin Smith does but the soundtrack includes a song by a guy I knew in college  who just does music in his spare time.

Carlo is a really nice guy (honestly, just one of the friendliest people I've ever met) and really talented songwriter. So I am delighted for him.

• Like 3

Yesterday I went to the local `used bookstore' (they have a lot of stuff other than books), and picked up a Jim Carrey 4-pack: The Mask, Yes Man, The Majestic, and Dumb and Dumber. Wish it had The Truman Show instead of Dumb and Dumber. The Majestic is the movie I went to look for, but they didn't have any copies of it by itself. (Sadly, they didn't have the tv show I went to look for....)

Can anyone recommend me a recent mainstream movie they liked?

I want something with a budget and people I will recognize. It doesn't have to be an action packed blockbuster but I don't want to on IMDB looking up who everyone is and wondering how they got away putting something that cheap looking on screen if that all makes sense.

I just can't remember the last movie I saw that I liked and it's bugging me and I'm hoping someone can help me break that streak

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Can anyone recommend me a recent mainstream movie they liked?

I want something with a budget and people I will recognize. It doesn't have to be an action packed blockbuster but I don't want to on IMDB looking up who everyone is and wondering how they got away putting something that cheap looking on screen if that all makes sense.

I just can't remember the last movie I saw that I liked and it's bugging me and I'm hoping someone can help me break that streak

Did you see Ryan Reynolds "Free Guy"?  Ryan Reynolds and Taika Waititi

Daniel Radcliffs "Guns Akimbo" was entertaining

"Day Shift" is on Netflix and its a fun vampire romp with Jamie Foxx, Snoop Dog and Dave Franco

22 hours ago, Lint said:

Did you see Ryan Reynolds "Free Guy"?  Ryan Reynolds and Taika Waititi

Daniel Radcliffs "Guns Akimbo" was entertaining

"Day Shift" is on Netflix and its a fun vampire romp with Jamie Foxx, Snoop Dog and Dave Franco

i can't tecommend "Day Shift" enough. 

"Free Guy" is also pretty darn good.

Haven't seen "Guns Akimbo", though.

I'll recommend "Copshop" with Gerard Butler. Damn good action movie, with a plot. Post-ending scene is a bit dumb, though, but doesn't detract from the movie.

It looks fun! I like that Bowser seems very intimidating and there's obviously some major destruction going on there whilst the silliness goes on around him. I'm curious if that line at the end there of "Mushroom Kingdom, here we come." was always that way or if it was 'Here we go' originally and maybe they changed it because it sounded odd or they knew it'd draw even more ire because hes sans accent.

• Like 1