Nintendo Megathread 2024

K

On 31/12/2021 at 00:51, Bobfoc said:

OLED Switch is supposed to look nicer, but it doesn't have any advantages when it comes to game performance. It's definitely not essential.

On 31/12/2021 at 00:56, apsham said:

What you're looking at are;

• Crisper colours, black is actually full on black on the screen
  • The dock has a built in ethernet port so if you're docked, you can download/be connected at something other than wi-fi (and the dock will be/maybe is available separate anyways)
  • There's a better kickstand if you're going to play it undocked, but sitting up on the table - the one on the original Switch is pretty bad overall

I'm happy with mine, but I only really have it because I wanted to upgrade my partner's Switch Lite and she wanted my all red standard edition, so I ended up with the OLED. Without having them side by side you probably wouldn't know the difference in the first place though if you didn't know how things looked originally / with the OLED.

cheers lads. after a couple days umming and ahhing i ordered a switch. went with the white OLED in the end.

• Like 5

• RPS pinned this topic

The white oled is very sexy. I've only got a couple things downloaded from the store so far, but smash brothers arrives today and I'm looking at either super Mario Odyssey or breath of the wild as a more immersive one player experience for when my wife is at work and I have time to kill

I love the design choice they made where you can beat it and see the ending with only a portion of what you're asked to collect, and if you want more you can keep going, and if you want the really challenging levels you can seek those out as well. I think I'm due for another playthrough of that.

I also loved Breath of the Wild - something else I'm due for another playthrough of sooner than later.

3 hours ago, K said:

The white oled is very sexy. I've only got a couple things downloaded from the store so far, but smash brothers arrives today and I'm looking at either super Mario Odyssey or breath of the wild as a more immersive one player experience for when my wife is at work and I have time to kill

The OLED screen is so pretty. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2022 at 19:47, GA! said:

Odyssey is immense fun, lasts about 10 hours or so unless you collect everything. Breath of the Wild I didn't get that deep into (borrowed it from my sister) but you'll get more longevity out of it if that's what you're looking for.

i'm already well over 10 hours in and I'm only in Metro City. I'm a collector so I want everything. Having a cracking time.

I also got some argos vouchers from work so I bought BOTW too, but I'm not even thinking about opening it yet, enjoying Marios too much.

Looking for some fun stuff to play with my wife too. I dont think she loved Smash. We're playing Snipper Clippers at the moment which is muchmore her speed, and I thin I'm gonna pick up The Stretchers next

• Like 2

14 hours ago, K said:

i'm already well over 10 hours in and I'm only in Metro City. I'm a collector so I want everything. Having a cracking time.

I also got some argos vouchers from work so I bought BOTW too, but I'm not even thinking about opening it yet, enjoying Marios too much.

Looking for some fun stuff to play with my wife too. I dont think she loved Smash. We're playing Snipper Clippers at the moment which is muchmore her speed, and I thin I'm gonna pick up The Stretchers next

My mom loved Breath of the Wild. She loved the exploration and puzzles.

I think you gotta nail down what she likes doing in a game. If she likes puzzle games, check out Tetris Effect or Toads Treasure Tracker. 

52 minutes ago, RPS said:

My mom loved Breath of the Wild. She loved the exploration and puzzles.

I think you gotta nail down what she likes doing in a game. If she likes puzzle games, check out Tetris Effect or Toads Treasure Tracker. 

She really just likes co-op. She loved overcooked, but we can't play it because it makes me mad. We really like Just The Two Of Us or whatever it's called, so if there's anything like that on the Switch I'd hoover it up

31 minutes ago, K said:

She really just likes co-op. She loved overcooked, but we can't play it because it makes me mad. We really like Just The Two Of Us or whatever it's called, so if there's anything like that on the Switch I'd hoover it up

Mrs. Krabby and I really enjoyed playing Luigi's Mansion 3 together!

Definitely looking for more games like that that we can play co-op - is Toad's Treasure Tracker a good couch co-op jam @RPS ?

What is the coop like for Pikmin3 @Bobfoc?

@Krabby. Toad Treasure Tracker is good, but my fear would be that the skill difference. Either of you can control the camera and if someone is quicker on the puzzles, the lagging party can get frustrated if the camera is being moved around. If you are both on the same page, it's fun.

I played Pikmin 3. I don't recall if the whole game was coop but there was cooperative and competitive coop modes. A little scant but fun. I kicked my husband's ass on the modes. Humble brag. 

Try Kirby with your wife. It's just easy, crazy nonsense. My kids love it. 

@K if she loved Tetris, there is coop split screen Tetris campaign on Tetris Effect. If you love Snipperclips, Death Squared is great. Box Boy and Box Girl is also a great shout. They need to bring Pushmo to the Switch.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RPS said:

@Krabby. Toad Treasure Tracker is good, but my fear would be that the skill difference. Either of you can control the camera and if someone is quicker on the puzzles, the lagging party can get frustrated if the camera is being moved around. If you are both on the same page, it's fun.

I played Pikmin 3. I don't recall if the whole game was coop but there was cooperative and competitive coop modes. A little scant but fun. I kicked my husband's ass on the modes. Humble brag. 

Try Kirby with your wife. It's just easy, crazy nonsense. My kids love it. 

Are you talking Kirby Star Allies?

2 hours ago, K said:

Yoshi's Crafted World is an amazing co-op game, the fiancee and myself went through the whole game and got everything from every level. It's an amazingly inventive game, looks awesome and most levels are pretty short so you can pick up and play anywhere. She's pretty good at everything, but in the instance where there was a platforming she wasn't stellar at - and hell, I think she did it for me once or twice - one Yoshi and carry the other in their mouth and you can both get past the obstacle at the same time.

KeyWe is also a fun game about being a couple of Kiwi birds working in a post office. There's a few common tasks, and you can turn the timed mode off if you want but it's just a neat little game that we've also been enjoying.

1 hour ago, Krabby said:

Are you talking Kirby Star Allies?

Yeah. I play with my kids. It's very cute. It'll be great for two because my kids fight for the roles lol.

1 hour ago, RPS said:

Yeah. I play with my kids. It's very cute. It'll be great for two because my kids fight for the roles lol.

So if I am reading right, one is Kirby and the other is whatever random enemies Kirby befriends?

1 hour ago, Krabby said:

So if I am reading right, one is Kirby and the other is whatever random enemies Kirby befriends?

Basically. But the partner is functionally fbs same as Kirby, including being able to jump from enemy to enemy if they want. If someone gets bored of being the fire shooter, they can switch and be a water lizard.

• Thanks 1