X-BOX Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

2 minutes ago, tristy said:

Bobby Kotick probably won’t leave Activision until at least the end of next year, if that even happens. The acquisition won’t close until sometime late this year or early 2023.

Kotick isn't the only issue though. It's widespread. And the when doesn't really matter as much as the fact that they will.

Calling that a "fact" at this point is a stretch. I don't doubt Microsoft will bounce out the most egregious, public-facing terrible people, but I don't think that's going to magically cure Activision Blizzard of its woes. I'll believe that this takeover leads to real, substantive change when I see it myself and not a moment before. 

Kotick is the face of Activision/Blizzard’s PR nightmare. If anyone goes, it’d be him. And you know he’ll willingly leave, because he’ll have a golden parachute waiting for him when he does.

He’s already being pretty vague about his future with the company in the press today.

I'm seeing tweets saying that legally speaking, no one can offer comment on Kotick's future - Kotick himself, Xbox, Microsoft, etc. EDIT: that's in response to the last part of Tristy's post

1 hour ago, tristy said:

I would imagine COD would go to a timed exclusive for Xbox after current contracts with Sony expire, but we also all thought Bethesda titles would be cross platform after they were bought and Phil Spencer has clarified that’s not going to be the case.

Plus I don’t think Microsoft cares about millions in sales a year when this is pretty much ONLY about making Gamepass stronger. Millions of dollars a year in sales is a drop in the bucket, surely.

Bethesda is a lot different in terms of how they generate revenue. With the large user base who pay additional money for most of Activision Blizzard's big titles you want as many people as possible to play it. Bethesda is much more the Game Pass pillar than this one is. Though certainly I'd be surprised if Game Pass subscribers get added benefits that people playing anywhere else do not.

13 minutes ago, The Redeemer CLDY said:

I'm seeing tweets saying that legally speaking, no one can offer comment on Kotick's future - Kotick himself, Xbox, Microsoft, etc. EDIT: that's in response to the last part of Tristy's post

Pretty standard since this still has to go through regulatory hoops. Kotick eventually goes but not worth watching every day for the news to drop since it'll likely be done slowly and quietly.

Game Pass brings Windjammers 2, Pupperazzi and Rainbow Six Extraction as day one launches today. Then there's Hitman Trilogy, which is a new release in a very arbitrary sense, along with Death's Door, which is apparently one of last year's best games.

18 hours ago, FLiam said:

Been having loads of fun with the Hitman trilogy.

I enjoy the games but I wish there was one more thing you did.

Hitman are just puzzle games where you do four main activities - interact with items, try to pick up clues about where people or items will be, kill/subdue individuals and wear costumes to explore the environmental elements. It is fun, but I find it somewhat shallow. 

I think if they worked out a dialogue system, the game would be excellent. I find exploring the areas interesting, but I always get disappointed at the assassinations because I find them shallow. 

13 minutes ago, RPS said:

I enjoy the games but I wish there was one more thing you did.

Hitman are just puzzle games where you do four main activities - interact with items, try to pick up clues about where people or items will be, kill/subdue individuals and wear costumes to explore the environmental elements. It is fun, but I find it somewhat shallow. 

I think if they worked out a dialogue system, the game would be excellent. I find exploring the areas interesting, but I always get disappointed at the assassinations because I find them shallow. 

The Bond game that they're making is a great way to work in a dialogue element in the same-ish style of game.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, FLiam said:

The Dartmoor mission is excellent for that reason. You can go full Agatha Christie detective who-dunnit story.

I actually did not love that mission. I enjoyed it, but not as much. My favorite of the new maps was the Berlin nightclub. Only because I miss nightclubs and dancing. 

Imagine you are a thug in the world of Dying Light. It's scary out there but luckily for you the boss assigned you to guard the base! You get all the supplies you need and it's an easy job. No one would be stupid enough to break into the boss' base! Then one day this crazy person leaps in through the skylight and starts bopping your friends on the head with an electrified pipe wrench and then power sliding across the floor to get to your next buddy before gleefully wrenching him to death as well.

I am that crazy person :shifty:

• Haha 3

Control, Project Winter a few others are leaving GamePass in 2 weeks.