Steam/PC Mega Thread 2023

Mick

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Not for Broadcast was on sale! :w00t:

I bought it of course! :D 

It's 57 GB! Ok that's kind of a lot but I guess I can wait for it to install.

My computer has 3 GB of space available :crying: 

Time to go SSD shopping :w00t:

On 08/05/2022 at 16:10, Your Mom said:

Not for Broadcast was on sale! :w00t:

I bought it of course! :D 

It's 57 GB! Ok that's kind of a lot but I guess I can wait for it to install.

My computer has 3 GB of space available :crying: 

Well my dear, allow me to introduce you to the solution to your problem: 

Meet the hard drive dock!

OWC Drive Dock - Dual Drive Bay Solution

These babies let you put in an internal SATA hard drive (SATA is pretty much universal these days) of either 3.5" or 2.5" and use them as a normal hard drive. They are my go to solution for any media storage. You can get an external hard drive, but that's just one hard drive. The docks themselves are relatively inexpensive, and hard drive cost depends entirely on you due to normal HD vs SSD, storage capacity, brand, etc. 

starship-troopers-neil-patrick-harris.gif

• Like 3

That is a good solution. I got one of those docks a few years ago, and switch out hard drives from my old computers and my wife's old laptop.

Another option? Portable external hard drive. You can get a 4TB one off Amazon for around $100 (good value, as a 1TB is over half that price). I have an 8TB one from Walmart, but am not sure how much it cost. It was a present.

*edited to add* I advise avoiding flash drives off Amazon. I've seen plenty of reports of people receiving either the wrong size (ie, ordered a 32GB and received an 8GB), one that doesn't work at all, or a counterfeit. I buy my flash drives/SD cards at Walmart, even if they cost more.

Edited by GhostMachine

46 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Another option? Portable external hard drive. You can get a 4TB one off Amazon for around $100 (good value, as a 1TB is over half that price). I have an 8TB one from Walmart, but am not sure how much it cost. It was a present.

51 minutes ago, Mick said:

You can get an external hard drive, but that's just one hard drive.

<_<  

image.png

Pierre has the same look on his face that you see on NFL players on the receiving end of an absolute blowout. 

• Haha 1

On 10/05/2022 at 15:02, Mick said:

Well my dear, allow me to introduce you to the solution to your problem: 

Meet the hard drive dock!

OWC Drive Dock - Dual Drive Bay Solution

These babies let you put in an internal SATA hard drive (SATA is pretty much universal these days) of either 3.5" or 2.5" and use them as a normal hard drive. They are my go to solution for any media storage. You can get an external hard drive, but that's just one hard drive. The docks themselves are relatively inexpensive, and hard drive cost depends entirely on you due to normal HD vs SSD, storage capacity, brand, etc. 

starship-troopers-neil-patrick-harris.gif

I got one of these, not that exact one, when I made the switch from HDD to SSD.  Being able to hotswap the drives was a godsend

The team behind the Pathfinder games are doing a 40k RPG

Hook it into my veins! If it's half as good as the Pathfinder ones were then I think it could be really good. Will be interesting what system they go with, wonder if it'll be similar to a Starfinder reskin.

2 hours ago, Colly said:

I'm not really an RPG guy (unless you count X-Com or Fallout), what's a CRPG? If it's not online I'm fairly intrigued as a 20 year lapsed GW guy. Worhammuh.

CRPG stands for "Computer Role Playing Game", nowadays it basically means games that are based in some form or fashion on tabletop RPG's like D&D, Pathfinder, or other rulesets. Or games that have their own ruleset, but heavily inspired by tabletop.

Historical examples are Baldurs Gate 1/2, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights, Arcanum, KOTOR1/2. Modern ones are Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, Pathfinder Kingmaker/Wrath.

There's also a few that could fit into the CRPG group like Disco Elysium, or Fallout 1/2, Dragon Age: Origins, Wasteland 1/2/3, Divinity: Original Sin 1/2, Shadowrun, Underrail.

They tend to stand out having turn based or real-time with pause gameplay. Rulesets based on or inspired by tabletop rules, and more in line with what one would expect of playing in a tabletop setting. (dice rolls, limited use abilities/spellcasting, etc.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Daddy Magic JasonM said:

CRPG stands for "Computer Role Playing Game", nowadays it basically means games that are based in some form or fashion on tabletop RPG's like D&D, Pathfinder, or other rulesets. Or games that have their own ruleset, but heavily inspired by tabletop.

There was a little while when I saw the term "CRPG" attributed to Baldur's Gate and thought it meant "Canadian Role-Playing Game".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4