Steam/PC Mega Thread 2023

Mick

I was playing Warhammer 40K Gladius - Relics of War because it had a free weekend and it totally clicked with me enough to go ahead and pick it up. It's basically a 4X game if you took all win conditions other than military victory out (which I mean, kind of works with the 40K universe) - it's pretty tightly put together in that sense and I spent a lot of time with it recently compared to other things I've tried to pick up.

It kind of feels like Starcraft made into a turn based game.

• Like 2

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

• Like 3

On 15/04/2022 at 12:14, Mick said:

Neat. Shame I can't pick it up on Steam since I have them on GOG. I just did a quick install of Pool of Radiance, nothing fancy, just a DOSBox launch. 

So, to follow up on this, the DnD collection is again available discounted on Steam through the 12th. I bit the bullet and grabbed the ones I was interested in (these would be the Gold Box Forgotten Realms and Krynn games). 

Like apsham said, the launcher is very convenient, since it also comes with an external program known as the Gold Box Companion. This little gimmick is extremely useful, since it provides features such as automapping (trust me, in these games, you need the maps. The games come with the clue books for a reason) and adding in some more functionality that the earlier titles lacked. It also makes transferring characters between games very easy (although your gear does not transfer, but that's for storyline reasons :shifty: ). For instance, in Curse of the Azure bonds, the second of the "Pools" series, if you start a fresh game, your guys would typically be, at least if they're a single class, level 5. However, fighters and thieves could be as high as 7 in Pool of Radiance, and Clerics and Magic-Users at 6. Multi-class characters in Curse would be lower, since I think they design it not so much in levels but in experience, and in DnD 1e, it would be split across classes. Not to say that this is absolutely needed, but it's nifty, especially with the two classes you're likely to have for all four games (the Cleric and Magic User; Pool of Radiance didn't have Rangers or Paladins, so in Curse you're probably better off starting with one, but I digress). 

Anyway, totally worth it if you want old school DnD RPGs. 

• Like 1

The only good bug is a dead bug!

Has there been any games in that franchise before? Seems tailor made for an Xcom knock-off or some sort of RTS or shooter.

1 hour ago, apsham said:

There was an RTS in 2000 and an FPS in 2005. Nothing really mind blowing in either case.

Or this one. 

They totally botched the trailer, too. And that's a shame because clearly they got some degree of intellectual rights from the films. I mean, I would've used that glorious Basil Poledouris score, thrown in some "WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?" shit, etc. Nope. 

3 hours ago, Ruki said:

The Cult of the Lamb demo is pretty good. Gave me Binding of Isaac vibes. 

You have my attention.

18 minutes ago, RPS said:

You have my attention.

Yeah, seems like random items + powerups, similar dungeon set up (I think). I think you can go through the demo in about 30 minutes?