Steam/PC Mega Thread 2023

Mick

It's not big, it's not clever but... I've got hooked on World of Warships. I'm not good at it but it's such a quick cycle around games and can be quite fun which has meant I keep having "one more turnitis" and saying "sod it, I'll give my silly Swedish destroyer another go..."

• Like 1

Anybody playing any good multiplayer/non-FPS games on Steam? I was thinking about the few times we had EWB Phasmophobia sessions and it'd be neat to get something like that going every few weeks. I know we're all older, have more crap going on, and live in different timezones, but maybe we can figure out a day or two every so often where a cluster of us can Among Us, or Phasmo, or whatever else is out there. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I installed Decky Loader on my SteamDeck and now I have the UI looking like a Persona 5 game and my boot-up animation is Akira themed. I have all my Steam and non-Steam games with fancy custom artwork now, too. Man I love this thing so much. I struggled with if I wanted the UI to look like Persona 5 or a Pip-Boy from Fallout, but went with the P5 style because it just looks cool as fuck.

Edited by tristy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone playing the Steam version of Dwarf Fortress?

Been watching a play through of it, and while I think it looks like it could be fun, it also looks WAY complex...like "I want to play Rimworld, but I also need to take Advanced Trig" (yes, I know DF came first)

1 hour ago, Lint said:

Anyone playing the Steam version of Dwarf Fortress?

Been watching a play through of it, and while I think it looks like it could be fun, it also looks WAY complex...like "I want to play Rimworld, but I also need to take Advanced Trig" (yes, I know DF came first)

EDIT: I can see the irony of going "It's really not that hard" and then hitting you with a long piece like this.

I have played DF since about 2012 and have picked it back up proper with the release of the Steam version, and I will say that it's more so difficult by being obtuse rather than difficult through requiring advanced strategy or foresight.

You could effectively just build a wall around your colony, and pull up the drawbridge every time enemies show up, and be 95% safe for near enough any bad thing that comes at you. You could also start on an island, and be guaranteed to never be invaded by an outside civilisation (although you'll also miss out on trade caravans and migrant waves after the first guaranteed ones). I suggest most first timers who dig into the caverns (it'll happen) to simply just close it off and continue digging down somewhere else, and worry about that some other time.

Also, Dwarf Fortress is mostly just a supply chain management game combined with a dwarven city builder. For the dwarves to not die, you need to create supply chains to ensure they have food and drink, beds and rooms to sleep in, taverns and dining halls to drink and eat in, and metals to turn into weapons and armor to ensure their long term survival against both the sentient and non-sentient dangers of the world.

For new players especially the early game of any fort is "Ok, what do I do now?" and needing to learn the basics when it comes to what you need to dig out and set up to guarantee a steady supply of booze and food.
- You need to dig out a soily layer, drop down farm plots, and set them to grow plants.
-- (Optional), you could only ever bring Plump Helmets and have a boring but perfect supply of both food (you can eat plump helmets) and booze (you can distill plump helmets).
- Then you need to build a still, and order the dwarf in there to make x(=10) amounts of drinks from plants.
- You'd also need a carpenter to craft new barrels from wood, so you need to cut trees and have a carpenter's workshop.

So just for making alcohol, you need to set up at least three types of industry. Farming & Carpenting > Brewing booze.

The essence of DF is basically that it's all flowcharts in some form or fashion. To make one thing, you need to have set up an industrial chain that ensures you can produce what you want produced.

Later on you put down an office (a room + chair + table) and assign a dwarf to be a manager from that room, and you can start giving off work orders. Where you can automate parts of industry with if/and/or type statements. (If booze <= 10, craft 10 booze | If barrels <= 5, craft 10 barrels | etc.)

But I digress. What I am trying to say mostly is that the difficulty is in figuring out how it all works the first time around, and once you get a decent grasp of what you need to get XYZ done, the perceived difficulty starts becoming much lower.

A few things that the steam version does right out of the gate is having starting industry be pre-set to be done by whatever dwarf is available, rather than having to assign every dwarf their specific tasks or else it doesn't get done. You can still override it, by having two dedicated miners assigned and only the ones that are assigned can do mining, but for many of the industries it's a godsend when your fort is small, you're figuring things out, and you don't have to worry why nobody's building that butchery you wanted set up. (Someone will do it now)

Also with a rudimentary UI with menus it's a bit easier to find workshops, place them, and select materials. The built in tileset is nice and clean, and much easier than slapping one on by hand. There's a lot of quality of life features that make it a little bit more accessible for first timers.

I also suggest to just check out a few tutorials, and just pause the game whenever you need to sit down and figure something out by checking out the wiki, going to the reddit or forum, or watching another tutorial. It's just one of those games, but personally I find the game's difficulty to be less fickle than Europa Universalis IV was which can derail you pretty hard in the early/mid game.

Down here's a tutorial from Nookrium from the new steam version, and I can suggest Nook from both a tutorial and a gameplay standpoint. Also added a longplay from Quill18 who specifically build a fort with the aim of explaining what he's doing and why he's doing, so that beginners can build along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/01/2023 at 16:52, lanky316 said:

So I may be a little out of the loop a bit on this but just seen a Not For Broadcast DLC is coming soon...

So in short, it looks like we're going to basically be editing Most Haunted Live... Which I am more than happy about the prospect of doing.

So, plenty of screaming at every little thing, knocks at times that are quite convenient, and fake psychic making up total bullshit, then? Awesome!

Edited by GhostMachine

• 3 weeks later...

Recently bought Dave The Diver

This is a good intro to it, but he plays it kinda bad.  He never upgrades his equipment etc...

But the game itself is really fun!

You do kinda hit a wall since its still in Early Access, with the full game slated to come out, I think, in October, but even after hitting that wall you can keep playing, just not advance the story

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's only 10 dollary-doos for the base game!  Or $25 for each of the two bundles, one of which comes with the Oblivaeon the big end of the universe Infinity War/Crisis on Infinite Earths style event expansion

• Thanks 1