Sony Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

6 hours ago, Dang117 said:

I didn't want to believe it was happening but finally!

On the one hand: fuck yeah, about time. A whole slew of new Silent Hill games are on the horizon.

On the other hand: SH2 Remake is by Bloober Team.

10 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I preordered Gotham Knights tonight on a whim. I have no idea what 30 FPS actually means for my enjoyment of a game but I know what kicking ass as Batgirl means :D 

For some people it means absolutely nothing so you enjoy that game! 

Edit: I realized after I said this that it might come off "head patty" (I can't think of the right word...maybe condescending.) and that's not the way I meant it to sound. There are so many gamers that don't care about FPS. It's probably somewhat noticeable but the biggest impact it has on games is probably First Person Shooter online games. You'd probably see a difference if you put them side by side but as far as how much it impacts the game and it's enjoyment is very little.

I'd love to eventually pick it up. I recently said there weren't a lot of games out that interested me but I looked through the Sony Store the other night and found probably 20 games that interest me so now I'm trying to decide which ones to grab and in what order.

Reviews are out for Gotham Knights and they're very mixed. Common complaints are that it's too focused on loot drops and the grinding that they require. It looks like a reasonably good game saddled by new age mechanics that get in the way of fun.

Yeah I play MMO's so the loot grinding is nothing new...and honestly I'd rather do it in a game that basically has no time limit anyway. Hopefully it has a good story as that's the main reason I play single player games. Although I just saw "Half baked ending" as a description and that makes me sad.....but we'll see.

Finally got around to starting the Guardians of the Galaxy game and four chapters in can safely say it's the first game since Cyberpunk (despite its mechanical flaws) I've really gotten into the past couple of years. Wow. It has truly been living up to the hype with a fun story and solid gameplay mechanics. Love how refreshingly good the voice acting is as well. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, LL! said:

Finally got around to starting the Guardians of the Galaxy game and four chapters in can safely say it's the first game since Cyberpunk (despite its mechanical flaws) I've really gotten into the past couple of years. Wow. It has truly been living up to the hype with a fun story and solid gameplay mechanics. Love how refreshingly good the voice acting is as well. 

It's really good!

I think it outstays it's welcome a little, in that there's a really tight 12 hour story told in a much looser 16 hours, but it's definitely a lot of fun and a great blueprint of what could come next.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chris2K said:

GOTG is a great game, mainly for the writing which is both funny and emotional. It's such a shame they're not expanding on it further due to its sales.

Ended up getting Gotham Knights for PS5 in the end.

This sucks cause I've been blazing through it and already looking forward to what the sequel might be like with improvements/innovations. Fuck. 

• Like 1

Nioh 2 is a great and fun timesink, but can also be brutally hard. Cautious suggestion for people that liked the Ninja Gaiden series and want its spiritual successor to be more crazy with more everything.

Technically you need to have played Nioh 1, but the story's so batshit out there that you can honestly just jump in and play it anyways.

• Like 1

Played Nioh about three year's back and the controls really frustrated me at the time too. Possibly should have stuck with the game a little more. Will have another go with Nioh 2 being on Plus this month. May as well complete the collection. Do like the style of these game's a lot and they do provide a challenge, even if an annoying one at time's. 

Charger isn’t included, and it’s $50. So $600+ for everything, and that’s without a single game.

Horizon bundle (with a separate controller charger purchase) would put you at $650.

Also of note: no built-in speakers, so like the first PSVR, you’ll have to use headphones or the included (shitty) wired earbuds.

1 hour ago, Dang117 said:

Did the initial psvr sell well? Because I hardly heard anything about it and seemed to run its course game development wise. 

The most recent sales figures put it at 5 million, but that was back in December 2019. Even if those numbers have doubled since then (which I doubt), that's still under 10% of the number of PS4 consoles that have been sold.

From the little I tried, I thought it was interesting, although the use of the nearly decade-old Playstation Move controllers for some games was a big drawback. A lot of people felt that it worked best with games that used the standard PS4 controllers, such as Moss, Resident Evil 7 and Astro Bot Rescue Mission. I never got enough time with the system to finish it, but Astro Bot was particularly impressive.

Because of cost, comfort and the lack of interactivity with other people in the same room, VR still only has a niche audience. The Meta Quest 2 is a step in the right direction in terms of design, although the mandatory Facebook integration it used to have understandably put a lot of people off. I think it might serve manufacturers better in the long run if they spend the next few years focusing on how to make the headsets lighter and more comfortable than more graphically powerful.