Sony Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

I haven't looked into it yet but it'd need to be far superior to the original for me to even consider it. 

I didn't find it particularly comfortable, the visuals were poor and made me ill, and an overcomplicated set up with about 15 different wires soured the experience.

This one only has one wire, so that's an improvement. The resolution will be around twice that of the original PSVR, with the increased power of the PS5 itself offering better graphics in the games.

Comfort, however, is definitely a hurdle that VR headsets still need to overcome. From the small amount of VR I've tried, I couldn't keep going for more than about thirty minutes at a time. I can't imagine playing something like Skyrim all the way through in VR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

I haven't looked into it yet but it'd need to be far superior to the original for me to even consider it. 

I didn't find it particularly comfortable, the visuals were poor and made me ill, and an overcomplicated set up with about 15 different wires soured the experience.

It's three times the resolution in each eye (2000x2040) than what the PSVR1 had, and this has 4K HDR. The controllers are more akin to what all the other VR rigs have (via patents filed by Sony, but they also showed silhouettes of them), but with adaptive triggers and haptic feedback (also in the headset) just like the DualSense.

I mean, honestly, they had me at Horizon: Call of the Mountain, because I'm a HUGE fan of Horizon. I mean I pre-ordered the $200 collector's edition of Forbidden West...

Edited by tristy
  • Like 1

• RPS pinned this topic

So, I have had The Witcher 3 on my wishlist for some time now, dating back years ago to when I ran an EB Games. Money is tight, but it's on sale for $14 I think until the 17th.

I loved the Batman Arkham games, and more thematically similar, enjoyed what I played of Dragon Age. I've heard comparisons to both.

Will this be a worthwhile investment for me? I typically only play MLB The Show, but I like to toss in other games to break it up once in awhile. The last major title I grabbed for that purpose was Spider-Man PS4.

I wouldn't say that it's like the Arkham games. Dragon Age would be a closer comparison, but I think The Witcher 3 is better in almost every way, particularly the writing, combat and world.

If you get into it, there's a lot of content to engage with. There are also two substantial expansions.

3 hours ago, Gabriel said:

So, I have had The Witcher 3 on my wishlist for some time now, dating back years ago to when I ran an EB Games. Money is tight, but it's on sale for $14 I think until the 17th.

I loved the Batman Arkham games, and more thematically similar, enjoyed what I played of Dragon Age. I've heard comparisons to both.

Will this be a worthwhile investment for me? I typically only play MLB The Show, but I like to toss in other games to break it up once in awhile. The last major title I grabbed for that purpose was Spider-Man PS4.

It's a worthwhile investment because you could get 200 hours out of playing it, and then go back and play it again and make different choices that affect certain events.

I don't think the Arkham games are a good comparison, and it handles closer to Skyrim than Dragon Age. Better than all of them though. I played it at the very start of the pandemic and remember spending entire days just wandering and engaging with the world.

My PS5 has started making a hella noise if there's a disc in the tray these days. Anyone else came across this? I saw a 'fix' on reddit that ended up breaking more people's disc trays than it fixed so not sure what to do.

It's worse when watching a dvd or running a game off the disc but even playing a downloaded title, it's still rattling away.

10 minutes ago, apsham said:

Last thing in the world I’d suggest is the FF7 remake, I’d go for the modern console versions of the original before them by a country mile. The remake left a terrible taste in my mouth.

10 is a great shout to start with, that or 9 even.

Get your tastebuds checked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I loved 7-Remake - I had some objections to changes to the story, though fully understand why they were made - but I don't know how much sense it would have made to me if I hadn't played 7 to death in the past.

I don't really rate the MMO games, or really any Final Fantasy game after 9, but I will make a controversial recommendation: If you like the MMO gameplay but not the social aspect, give Final Fantasy 12 a go. I didn't really like it "as a Final Fantasy game", in terms of not hitting the notes I want from that series, but it's a decent RPG in its own right, and if you're coming in without the baggage of having played through the whole series, I imagine you'd like it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, A Businessman said:

I'll second the FF 10 recommendation. FF 12 is also a good shout right before the series went off the rail insane.

OK, I agree with both of these recommendations, with them being my 2 favorite games in the series. But 12 is where you pick as right before the series went insane? Did you just never play 8?

I don't even react negatively the story changes in FF7 Remake, the thing that killed it for me was.

a) The battle system and difficulty levels just made fights longer and tedious, not harder once you figured it out. I never really had fun once while fighting and I eventually put it down to easy just to get through fights moderately faster.

b) For the beautiful world they built, there was almost ZERO reason to explore it. Every time you went of to explore all there was to do was to hit a box or two for minimal gain and then find an treasure box... and an Ether or Potion every time. There was rarely any real reason to explore, to go off the beaten path, to find something different than the same stretched out area that you've done before. If you walk into a new environment? Congrats, you're going to be seeing this for 3 sections in a row - because you're going to start a task, a cutscene will happen, you'll go back into an area that looks different and you'll do the same thing, another cutscene and you'll finish that area off. Everything is stretched waaaaaay too thin.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Roger Sterling said:

You guys rock. I'm going with the X/X-2 remaster.

I've always heard bad things about X-2, but I've never played it myself. But it focuses on Rikku and Yuna, whom I both love, so I might have to actually give it a go one of these days.

FFX is lovely and wonderful - the night I finished it in High School I definitely was told to go to bed early but stayed up until like 3am lmao. And F1F12 is super underrated - they crafted such an amazing world full of life and history. There were aspects of the story I didn't necessarily love but it is what is - the setting, battle system, loot system, and other stuff more than make up for it. #Penelo4Life

• Like 1