Sony Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Horizon Forbidden West has reviewed very well.

I'm seeing a few common complaints in areas that bothered me in the first game, namely the story, characters and controls. Most reviews seem to state that the narrative is worse than in the first game, while the combat and exploration controls haven't really improved. That's very off-putting for me, even if the graphics are nice.

This was brought up by someone I follow on Twitter but it's pretty funny that Horizon Zero Dawn's release was overshadowed by Breath of the Wild and now Horizon Forbidden West is going up against Elden Ring. At least the word-of-mouth praise from Zero Dawn will likely help out Forbidden West. But, man, those are ROUGH titles to offer a rather traditional open-world experience against.

I'm super excited to play both those games but, as mentioned, gonna be awhile.

38 minutes ago, damhausen said:

This was brought up by someone I follow on Twitter but it's pretty funny that Horizon Zero Dawn's release was overshadowed by Breath of the Wild and now Horizon Forbidden West is going up against Elden Ring. At least the word-of-mouth praise from Zero Dawn will likely help out Forbidden West. But, man, those are ROUGH titles to offer a rather traditional open-world experience against.

I'm super excited to play both those games but, as mentioned, gonna be awhile.

My hubby played Horizon Zero Dawn and it is one of those situations where I don't understand the praise it received. It seemed like a very fine and fun open world game but I never saw the argument that it was a game of the year. Looks the same for Forbidden West. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RPS said:

My hubby played Horizon Zero Dawn and it is one of those situations where I don't understand the praise it received. It seemed like a very fine and fun open world game but I never saw the argument that it was a game of the year. Looks the same for Forbidden West. 

The biggest criticism I can levy towards Zero Dawn, and it sounds like the same is happening for Forbidden West, is that they are both somewhat linear games disguised behind an open world. Most open world games for years did the same, more or less forcing you to the next big area where you'd get a lot of side quests and missions on top of the story. And then the story wasn't this super engaging one. The real joy in the game was the exploration and combat.

Happy all of that is still around but what BOTW offered and it now appears Elden Ring is going to offer is this much more unique experience. Horizon does the traditional open-world as well as anyone but it isn't particularly innovative. Which is fine, I don't need innovation out of every game.

• Like 2

Played Astro's Playroom once I got my PS5 set up and for what is essentially one big branding exercise it was pretty fun, with one of the best "fun/frustrating in equal measure" boss fights I've done in a while.

Horizon Zero Dawn was a weird one for me in that I absolutely loved the graphics and was really intrigued by the story and then I just put it down after a bit, told myself I'd pick it back up eventually, and never did. Feels like I should try again with it but I've got a looooot of games to play.

Astro's Playroom was the best use of the PS5 control that I've experience, and it was a pretty fun game overall too. One of the few games I got a platinum trophy on. 

I'm excited for Horizon, as apparently they make good use of the haptics as well. Amazon says it won't be delivered until March 1st... I'm hoping that moves up, since I'm only about 20 minutes away from the distribution center.