Games Wot I (or We) Complete in 2022

Liam

On 04/06/2022 at 12:03, GoGo Yubari said:

Up next is hopefully the FF7R DLC, unless I stumble headlong into another Game Pass game and get sucked up in it.

It was neither!

6. Cuphead I basically played this in chunks from 2017 to earlier this summer, stopping whenever I got frustrated with a boss. Cuphead rules but it's very much a game where I would just hit walls from somewhere around the second island onward and just need to completely clear my mind for half a year to a year before returning and being ready to absorb the patterns of whoever drove me nuts the prior time. Honestly if I wasn't dead certain I was nearly done I would have absolutely just thrown my controller into the couch at some point during the King Dice gauntlet (not to mention the Devil). Anyway, great game, obviously. I'll do the DLC next year probably.

7. Assassin's Creed Origins - The first of the open-world RPG element Assassin's Creeds, wasn't sure how I was going to take to it but honestly I had a pretty good time with a lot of it. I think part of why it worked was because while needing to level up in an AC game feels really weird conceptually, it honestly gives more incentive to do much of the sidequests and going around helping people in need is exactly what Bayek (one of the best AC protagonists I've played to this point) would be doing anyway, so it supports a feeling of immersion in that world. The plot is a weird one because for a while it's the most compelling, intriguing Assassin's Creed plot since probably Brotherhood and then once it starts hitting the home stretch it just absolutely goes off the rails, introducing characters who are part of the big conspiracy at the heart of the story that you've never, ever seen before and talking about them like you totally know who they are. On the plus side, sometimes the game would just randomly spawn cats in places cats probably should not be, like this (spoilers for the plot of a five year old game and also ancient Egyptian history):

UP NEXT: probably some mindless open world joint

• Like 1

Soul Hackers 2! My only complaint is boring dungeon design, but it scratched that JRPG itch I had! And not too long, clocking in at about 45-50 hours with doing a bunch of grinding and side content. 

Plus I accidentally got the good/true ending!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished Yakuza 4. 

Having a break before 5 just because having done 3 and then 4 I started to get a bit bored. Like the dynamic of 4 though with the 4 different characters and playstyles. 

Going to start Cyberpunk on the PS5 next

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2022 at 20:13, GoGo Yubari said:

UP NEXT: probably some mindless open world joint

It was not!

8. Cult of the Lamb - I mean, there was a lot of "I don't want to think right now so I'm going to play this instead of thinking" involved but Cult of the Lamb is half-management sim/half-roguelike. It's an interesting game in the sense that the whole is so much more than the sum of its parts. It has a fun visual style (all your cult members are adorable animals) but the story is basically the absolute bare minimum needed to keep you going through an obvious structure. The roguelike stuff is fun enough but nothing special by the high standards of roguelikes these days, it certainly doesn't feel as fun to play as a Hades or a Dead Cells and doesn't have the variety of abilities and handicaps of a Rogue Legacy. The sim stuff is the best and most fun individual aspect of it but it's not like an especially deep simulator, I never felt the deep attachment to cult members or felt like I had to make actual tough decisions once I got to a certain point. That being said, put together the whole thing just works extremely well (well, outside of the month I had to stop playing it because a patch fixing a bug took a very long time to get to Xbox), and in the early days would repeatedly end up consuming way more of my time than intended. Even now it still has certain maddening bugs to it that forced me to restart my game, so I might say "wait for another patch or two," but it's a fun time and if it goes on discount or ends up on a Game Pass or equivalent service a no-brainer to get.

Also I got a beanie with the eye logo from the game at PAX West and I love it and will wear it everywhere all fall.

NEXT TIME: Probably Yakuza 4!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Death Stranding yesterday. Against the odds, I really liked it. I think I'm at a point where games that allow me to potter around a bit and feel more satisfaction from trawling across harsh terrain to make a successful delivery than I do from fancy combos and kill streaks.

It just felt nice to build structures in the world and feel as though I was contributing to a large-scale constructive effort. The online system, through which you can help other players by supplying materials and tools, really boosts that sense of collaboration as well.

Of course, it's full of Kojima's characteristic brand of long-winded codswallop. There are some long cutscenes that explain plot developments you've worked out yourself hours ago, but they're mostly packed in towards the end, by which point you're familiar enough with the characters and setting to tolerate it a bit more easily.

• Like 4

Just finished Gotham Knights and I don't care what people say I really liked it. Did it innovate and change the way games are played? No not really but since when is giving me more of something I like a bad thing? I got to grapple hook around Gotham as Batgirl (and sometimes the other 3 but barely :P ) and kick a bunch of criminal ass and have fun in a decent Batman story. How can you be mad at that?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've completed DioField Chronicals. I do not recommend this one at all. Characters are poorly written, basically change their motives and personality out of nowhere. The gameplay is fine, but over 28 hours it becomes a slog with not much variety.

• Like 1

I finally finished Uncharted 4 this week. That's now all four of them down and I will play the spin-off at some point but I really need to beat the God Of War since the second one is now coming out and I've not played more than 10 minutes of the first. I enjoyed Uncharted 4 but I did with it what I do with a lot of games where I play it for awhile and then abandon it for even longer which has me forgetting exactly what happened when I came back, where I'm supposed to go and more important, usually the controls to do it. I need to focus more on not letting myself go months at a time between playing a game.

I at least remember the important plot points enough to know that it was a decent game. The game play is basically what you'd expect from an Uncharted game as I don't feel they ever really reinvented the wheel or anything. Story was touching and I enjoyed the ending.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2022 at 10:50, Your Mom said:

Just finished Gotham Knights and I don't care what people say I really liked it. Did it innovate and change the way games are played? No not really but since when is giving me more of something I like a bad thing? I got to grapple hook around Gotham as Batgirl (and sometimes the other 3 but barely :P ) and kick a bunch of criminal ass and have fun in a decent Batman story. How can you be mad at that?

Just finished it myself, and I agree, it was nothing groundbreaking but the city was visually beautiful and it was a great unique story to explore from one of my favourite comic worlds.

• Like 2

Finally completed Guardians of the Galaxy after it being hyped to me for a couple years. Great game! The controls took me some time to get familiar with, but it grew on me and the story was superb. 

Now with God Of War out and Evil West coming out soon, I think I'm going to power through Little Hope and House Of Ashes as they're shorter games that have been backlogged for too long. Especially if the final game of the anthology is coming out soon as well. 

I finally completed Elden Ring (and got the platinum trophy!)

Took 202 hours spread over about 6 months on and off playing, finished up at level 177 and only just found out before the last boss that there's a sprint button.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I actually went back recently and finished it myself, it had fallen into the pile of 'get near the end and just stop' that happens with me sometimes. I think I was wary of finishing the game and locking myself out of doing other stuff because it would immediately start NG+.

I did end up having to do a quick blast through NG+ anyway because I messed up cheesing the different endings in order to get all the achievements. Just waiting on that DLC now!

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to upgrade to PS Plus Premium, and as such beat a game I've been wanting to play since I tried the demo years ago: Asura's Wrath. Fantastic game. I know this definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea but to me it was just fun! Didn't want to put it down and while the boss battles may be mostly QTE's they are huge and epic. Very glad I finally got to this one. Now i can start God Of War Ragnarok!

• Like 1