Anime Thread

gunnar hendershow

1 hour ago, stokeriño said:

Who knew that anime series that I enjoyed 15 years ago are still as unavailable/expensive on DVD (and often only Region 1, if at all), and all that's changed is my own willingness to watch the kind of downloads I originally enjoyed them as in the first place.

Suffice to say, I have played myself.

(Current series that I'm thinking of are School Rumble and Mai-Otome, but no doubt there are others.)

School Rumble has been a staple for Funimation (and now its merged successor with Crunchyroll) for over 15 years. Is it really something hard to find in the UK? Like I can't envision a world where School Rumble DVDs and BDs aren't strewn on a merch table at a convention. It strikes me as something so entrenched it'd be available most everywhere.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

@Daddy Magic JasonMI actually saw Akira like maybe 10 years ago and I knew it looked cool but had no idea what was going on. Turned me off of Anime for a really long time. I bet it's good though. I will give it another watch after I've eased myself into this whole world a little more :) 

Also I'm guessing by the reaction at the time that the Scarjo movie is no indication of Ghost in the Shell's actual quality because that was pretty rough :lol:

Akira is a little tough to follow as a film because it's taking a LOT of manga and trying to condense it/cut out parts. I think a lot of the appeal it had was with people who just thought it looked rad. Then you go and watch it a second time for that added bit of "oh this is what's going on".

It's, IMO, still very fantastic and probably the absolute apex of hand-drawn animation the world may ever see. In terms of the incredible attention to detail, the overall direction of each scene, etc. You'll never see that again, it existed at the only time when it could exist (the Japanese asset price bubble). There are plenty of visual feasts from all over the world, but Akira is just a cut above.

Note a fascination with the technical details is something I'm usually alone on an island about and that's fair! I just always like to nerd out about that stuff when I get the chance since with a lot of other things I'm on the other side "oh who cares about this nuance".

I would also add, regarding Ghost in the Shell. In high school that was one of the anime that happened to be the "only anime" some people watched. They loved Stand Alone Complex, sought out the movies, and that was the extent of their time watching anime. Thus I put it on my recommendations as something you could use as an intro franchise.

33 minutes ago, damhausen said:

School Rumble has been a staple for Funimation (and now its merged successor with Crunchyroll) for over 15 years. Is it really something hard to find in the UK? Like I can't envision a world where School Rumble DVDs and BDs aren't strewn on a merch table at a convention. It strikes me as something so entrenched it'd be available most everywhere.

I've only ignored Crunchyroll out of stubborness and a liking for physical copies on my shelf. I can however confirm that the UK is a School Rumble-free zone when it comes to DVDs.

I went on Crunchyroll for the first time in forever, noticing a lot of:

"Availability for free users: Not available"

The entire new season of Shield Hero is like that, episode 3 for Spy x Family is like that. I don't wanna pay for something I might not use too often! Anyone wanna share their account? I can share spotify :shifty:

Also, just watch MHA episode 88. Oh man. I should not have stopped. So good.

10 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

I went on Crunchyroll for the first time in forever, noticing a lot of:

"Availability for free users: Not available"

The entire new season of Shield Hero is like that, episode 3 for Spy x Family is like that. I don't wanna pay for something I might not use too often! Anyone wanna share their account? I can share spotify :shifty:

Also, just watch MHA episode 88. Oh man. I should not have stopped. So good.

Yeah, with the spring season they started doing that with new shows. A lot of people are naturally upset. I think it'll be a situation where once they finish airing they'll release the whole season to free members. But I don't think that's been completely confirmed yet.

On 25/04/2022 at 13:02, Daddy Magic JasonM said:

I have started watching Spy x Family, only heard of it yesterday. And my lord, it's so wholesome, it's so fun. Within the first ten minutes the anime had me completely hooked.

This is probably gonna be the Romcom gateway drug for years to come.

Gah, the first episode was just lovely. Basically smiled the whole time. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching last Saturday's Spy x Family, and my lord, it was so ridiculously over the top, but I had a smile on my face all the way through. This show just hits all the right notes for me, I can't wait for the next episode.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's not top tier or anything, but I am really digging Tomodachi Game. I've binged the 7 episodes available in the past 24 hours. Basically 5 friends are forced into a game because one of them has a 20mil debt, and the game is a way to pay it off/give it to the others.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have suggestions of what to watch on Crunchyroll? I am caught up on MHA, Spy x Family and Tomodachi game. Have also enjoyed Tower of God a few years back. I'm thinking Ranking of Kings and Jujutsu Kaisen next... but anything to add to the list!

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

Anyone have suggestions of what to watch on Crunchyroll? I am caught up on MHA, Spy x Family and Tomodachi game. Have also enjoyed Tower of God a few years back. I'm thinking Ranking of Kings and Jujutsu Kaisen next... but anything to add to the list!

Are you in any shape interested in sports anime? Then I can suggest Aoashi (based on Football), it's 16 episodes into its first season and already have hit a few notable highs in terms of story and character work. It certainly looks like it has the potential to become a big thing.

Older stuff if you haven't already, Megalobox S1/S2. Psycho-Pass, Akudama Drive, Vinland Saga, ODDTAXI, Deca-Dence.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So apparently there is a DBZ fuser that functions like that Pokemon one. Here's Launch (in her Bad mode) fused with Gohan to make SS3 "Bad Gohnch"

image.png

Power Level: 1,087,200; so she could take on Frieza's second form 

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Ruki said:

First world problems: the Crunchyroll Premium account I was stealing? It's reverted to a regular account. No new Chainsaw Man for me. 

They've really annoyed... Most people. Half the Funimation catalogue is still over there, and not that back catalogues matter to most people it's still really annoying. Especially as my anime club primarily only watches back catalogue shows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"hmm, enjoying the two anime I'm watching right now, maybe I should scroll through this listicle for new shows coming out and try to find some more"

rOOoIoR.jpg

0H4wDmN.jpg

no never mind I'm good at two no need to dig deep

• Haha 1