General Gaming Thread - 2022

RPS

It seems as though other developers aren't having problems running their games on both the Series S and X with different performance options. You've got two systems with the same system architecture, so scalability shouldn't be harder than accounting for different PC setups.

7 hours ago, damhausen said:

Yeah I suspect it comes more down to "costs a bit more" to develop both and there's leadership that doesn't want to make that expenditure. Obviously in that case you have the downscaled version that works everywhere vs the upscaled.

Probably a little bit of this, and the fact that they want to focus on graphics over performance. They keep going on about a detailed open world environment with ray tracing when this is something that’s core gameplay is based around blocks, parrying and dodging so framerate is kind of crucial.

I’d be willing to be a performance mode is introduced eventually, but it might be too late by then.

So, I really like Potionomics... you run a potion shop (Capitalism, ho!) and it's a card game. A great mix! The issue though is the time constraints. And finding the ingredients you need are basically RNG (and impossible to search from the material shop). I played for 7 hours, in that time I managed to get a game over, beat the first boss, and then get stuck trying to make the potions for the second boss. Like, nothing I make even gets close! It makes me sad :(

I unusually downloaded a phone game. It's called Cats & Soup, and you have a bunch of cats and you make food products. The game can stall when you run out of various currencies, but if you watch adverts (or ignore them while doing something else), it gives you money to play around with. It also accumulates money when you're busy away from the game, which is nice.

It's not that engaging, but it is extremely cute and chilled me the fuck out yesterday.

• Like 1

Did anyone ever play Octopath Traveler? I had been meaning to play it all this time and now that I see there is a second one planned (and apparently there are like 2.5's as well), I was thinking about grabbing it and giving it a playthrough. Is it deep? How many hours is it? I like my RPG's to have a lot of play time and be deep in story/lore.

49 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

A quick Google search suggests that it's around 60 hours long, and I know there are people on here who really liked it.

Me! I am that person.

Octopath Traveller isn't perfect (the most common complaint is that the heroes didn't really interact), but it does SOOOOO much right. The music, the aesthetic, the combat... it does it all perfectly. To the point that Octopath Traveller 2 might be my most anticipated game next year (in a year with a new Fire Emblem, FF16, FF7R-2, Starfield). My main complaint is the final boss... just a huge difficulty spike. 

• Like 1

I feel like I've fallen out of the gaming scene since I got into FFXIV and WoW but I'm trying to diversify my video games to try to move away from WoW and make some time to play other games. I'm very out of the loop on current RPG's that are out or new ones that are on their way out. I've looked through some of the anticipated games for 2023 but because I'm so far out of the loop, I'm unsure on which ones honestly fit my style. My style being anything that feels like FF, Dragon's Quest or Dragon Age.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Forky said:

I feel like I've fallen out of the gaming scene since I got into FFXIV and WoW but I'm trying to diversify my video games to try to move away from WoW and make some time to play other games. I'm very out of the loop on current RPG's that are out or new ones that are on their way out. I've looked through some of the anticipated games for 2023 but because I'm so far out of the loop, I'm unsure on which ones honestly fit my style. My style being anything that feels like FF, Dragon's Quest or Dragon Age.

-Octopath Traveller (Very oldschool FF feel)*

-Persona 5 Royal (Just the best RPG to come out in the past 5 years)*

-Soul Hackers 2 (Similar battle system to Persona, but less life-sim)

-Final Fantasy 7 Remake (Perfection)

-Triangle Strategy (it's like Final Fantasy Tactics)

-Yakuza: Like A Dragon (turn based RPG in modern day Japan, with a class system. It's amazing)*

-Live A live (An interesting SRPG)

*= on gamepass so you can play for 'free'

• Like 1

I'm in the midst of it and it's got some minor problems with difficulty, or lack thereof, but 13 Sentinels should also be added to that list. Much more of an RTS meets JRPG type combat system with a sprawling narrative told through multiple different characters. Have the sense it's going to actually reward me for completing the whole game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, damhausen said:

I'm in the midst of it and it's got some minor problems with difficulty, or lack thereof, but 13 Sentinels should also be added to that list. Much more of an RTS meets JRPG type combat system with a sprawling narrative told through multiple different characters. Have the sense it's going to actually reward me for completing the whole game.

I LOVED 13 Sentinels when I played it last year (or the year before?). But to me it was more of a visual novel with some gameplay. But the story was just awesome, especially the way it was told through multiple characters/timelines. 

I also really liked Ruined King: A League Of Legends Story. Obviously based on LoL, but it had fun turn based combat. 

Yes, I also feel like 13 Sentinels is more of a visual novel with some gameplay (though there's no ability to change the ending through decisions made in the narrative parts). The intriguing story is what's keeping me coming back to it, but the battles are fun but low-calorie affairs. And a bit unique overall. But if I lose I just remember what the enemies do and don't let it happen next time - so, as I said, not a ton of difficulty.

• Like 1

I don't know if I'm annoyed that Mortal Shell is kicking my ass anytime and everytime I'm on it. But on the other hand it is so damn fun exploring and learning what the game world is about. Then sitting there with a lute and keep playing it. Always suck at SoulsLike games anyway. Just this is very charming in a way and I'm curious about the land. 

I've never had an interest in online games or first person shooters (bar DOOM because DOOM bangs), neither genre has ever really spoke to me and I'm not very good at them and I'm really antisocial when it comes to gaming.

That has now all changed thanks to Overwatch 2 and Destiny 2. Been playing both of them fairly consistently with Cecily over the last week or two and I absolutely adore them both. Both of them play so fluidly.

Now I feel like I've missed out on a bunch of dope games.

• Like 2