General Gaming Thread - 2022

RPS

1 hour ago, RPS said:

Can someone explain what a Battlepass consists of for these online games? 

You know how most games have DLC packs that you can preorder all planned DLC all at once?

It's like that, only for a "season" of the game which can mean whatever the publishers decide it means.

2 hours ago, RPS said:

Can someone explain what a Battlepass consists of for these online games? 

Or, to explain it more so...

A lot of the times for a game like Apex we'll say, they run in seasons and as you play you earn points, etc - as you level up you unlock rewards. Maybe in game currency, maybe skins for a weapon, maybe outfits for a character.

Usually there's a free tier with rewards that are okay - but exclusive stuff or even bigger rewards are usually on the Battlepass. It's like a second tier that runs concurrently with the free tier. You can get it at the start of the season and unlock from the free tier and the Battlepass tier as you move along, and if you buy the pass mid-season you'll retroactively unlock anything that you would've gotten had you used it from the start.

This is a more visual example.

image.png

In this Fortnite example, you get something every 2 levels on the free tier, but something EVERY level on the paid tier.

Some games do them well - and you can end up getting back in-game currency to come close to equaling what you paid for it. Other games have a hard time balancing the effort that you put in versus what you get out. And it really only pays off if it's a game that you are putting most of your time into, unless there's something in an early tier you REALLY want.

Because of your earlier post about Fortnite, I'm guessing that might be what you're asking about. They just started Chapter Three, which for them means that made a lot of bigger changes, and mid-March they'll finish season one of that and then start on season two. The last seasons ran like this;

Chapter Two, season seven June 8, 2021 - Sept. 12, 2021

Chapter Two, season eight Sept. 13, 2021 - Dec. 4, 2021

Chapter Three, season one Dec. 5, 2021 - March 15, 2022

• Like 2

@apsham you rule. I think I'll abstain on the battle pass for now. I have played multiple games of Fortnite with my son. We also squaded up with my nephew, my brother and the girls played. If the phase passes I will not have waste money. If he still asks to play next weekend, maybe he will get bored. 

Fortnite is interesting because one of four things is happening. We are playing bots, people suck at Fortnite, my son is bad so we are getting match made with bad players or I'm really good at the game. I doubt I'm this good at the game. We have played 10 or so games at this point. I average about 6-7 kills each round and we always win. 

Fortnite, to be fair, is very diverse with it's challenges which always give you something different to do. One game you might have to visit five different named locations, or you might have to catch a ceratin number of fish, or get a certain number of headshot kills, or use a vehicle, or take down one of the boss bot characters. It's a game I need to be in the mood for but of all the battle royals I'd easily say it's nailed the formula the best.

3 hours ago, 9 to 5 said:

With Fortnite, if you play enough which it sounds like you are at least right now, you can earn enough V-Bucks to pay for the next season's battle pass before too long which is very useful and saves on money.

Hmm but I presumably need to have an Epic Account to do this? I have zero V Bucks... 

Ok so I'm not playing bots in Fortnite. Still fun but the people I'm facing at the end here definitely can aim and know there way around this game. I was getting to comfortable because I could get the drop on 100% of enemies and kill them and now I have to be strategic. I think loading the game with bots initially is interesting because you obviously win and feel good but it teaches you bad habits with the game. 

Forget your Overwatch League or LOL League... I'm all about that COMPETITIVE PINBALL WITH CRINGE ANNOUNCERS AND ELVIRA CAMEOS

Finally started Deathloop and I've got to say it's so much fun! I love the idea of trying different things and trying to learn new methods of completing the loop each time. 

I've never played Destiny, but can someone explain to me how the latest DLC is £80? And apparently 8 missions long/can be finished in a day.

A mate was telling me how he'd spent that the other day, and I just had a Twitter ad for it. Seems baffling to me how they can charge that much.

On 15/02/2022 at 09:25, RPS said:

Ok so I'm not playing bots in Fortnite. Still fun but the people I'm facing at the end here definitely can aim and know there way around this game. I was getting to comfortable because I could get the drop on 100% of enemies and kill them and now I have to be strategic. I think loading the game with bots initially is interesting because you obviously win and feel good but it teaches you bad habits with the game. 

Ok so Fortnite update. Pretty easy to make it to the end game and even win solo. However, when in a duo with my son, it becomes difficult. If my son is taking too much damage he runs away for me to take care of the enemies, which is not ideal. 

I had a proper dad moment where I was in a fire fight and I was pinned down in a house. I had no idea where he was. I was thinking we were dead and I see my son snipe one of the enemies with a sniper rifle. I was like "bud you just saved us" and he was "yeah dad that guy was easy". I had the biggest smile on my face. 

• Like 1

Grid Legends has gone way off in a new direction, with a proper career mode that has live action scenes ripped from the pages of Drive to Survive. And it's amazing.

My only issue is that you have Forza Horizon 5, Grid Legends and Gran Turismo 7 all launching within four months of each other, with the latter two launching one week apart. It's forcing racing game fans to choose 1 or 2 of them because they all play so differently.

If anyone owns Resident Evil 2, 3 and/or 7 - Capcom announced all three of them are getting PS5/Xbox Series upgrades later in the year, for free. They specifically call the upgrades, "visual enhancements" though, so it's probably just resolution upgrades (but 2 and 3 already look fucking stellar, so, I don't know).

I'm fine with that, honestly. I've had 2 sitting on my harddrive for a few months, and a PS5 version is a good reason to start. And 3 is only like $15 right now in the PS store, and it's been on my wishlist for a minute... might be time to grab it. I've also never played those two, so, yeah. I'll wait a little bit longer. Not exactly a game I need in 60fps or anything, so 4K with ray tracing and shit sounds excellent.

meanwhile in Kamurocho

7CmCayi.jpg

• Like 1

Finally got my hands on a PS5. It’s the digital edition but I don’t think it matters other than I can’t play the 30 PS4 games I have.

I signed up for PS Now but are there any PS5 games I should think about purchasing outside of Elden Rings?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Forky said:

Finally got my hands on a PS5. It’s the digital edition but I don’t think it matters other than I can’t play the 30 PS4 games I have.

I signed up for PS Now but are there any PS5 games I should think about purchasing outside of Elden Rings?

Control. I'd recommend actually playing Astro's Playroom that's already on your console. I heard Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is good. Miles Morales/Spider-Man Remastered. Kena, Sifu... Ghostwire: Tokyo comes out in a few weeks, so there's that. Both Horizon games if you haven't played those. Resident Evil 2, 3 and 7 are getting PS5 versions this year, too.

I was in the same boat as you, going from PS4 to a digital PS5. It's insane that they don't allow you to claim games you already clearly owned - although, Respawn did let people do that for the PS4 -> PS5 upgrade for Fallen Order if you had a physical copy and bought a digital PS5. I thought that was cool, and I haven't seen any other studios offer that.