General Gaming Thread - 2022

RPS

On 11/05/2022 at 08:04, RPS said:

I bought Street Fighter IV because I was craving a fighting game. Fighting Games are so good. Like a gaming comfort food. 

Zangief is my new husband. 

• Haha 1

Stupid thing about Pathfinder Kingmaker... 80 hours into the game, you can get a game over through the (poorly implemented) kingdom management system if you were suboptimal with choices. Thankfully it seems I can turn on an option to NOT have my kingdom explode.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Stupid thing about Pathfinder Kingmaker... 80 hours into the game, you can get a game over through the (poorly implemented) kingdom management system if you were suboptimal with choices. Thankfully it seems I can turn on an option to NOT have my kingdom explode.

Yeah, I really liked Kingmaker the crpg but the kingdom management was novel but ultimately just slightly arbitrary busiwork.

I actually restarted today as a lawful evil sorcerer. I really feel this game doesn't penalize for running a non-good alignment and still give you a different experience.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daddy Magic JasonM said:

Yeah, I really liked Kingmaker the crpg but the kingdom management was novel but ultimately just slightly arbitrary busiwork.

I actually restarted today as a lawful evil sorcerer. I really feel this game doesn't penalize for running a non-good alignment and still give you a different experience.

I enjoyed the management portion... but some of the choices were just bad. Upgrading your stats takes you out of commission for 2 weeks?! Insanely high skill checks? A lack of advisors for certain roles? Just such a pain. 

I'm running a Magus Archer. Getting off about 4-5 attacks per round with crazy damage output. I found an oversized bow in chapter 2 that I am still using because I've not found anything better. When I eventually play Wrath of the Righteous, I'm contemplating Rogue or a Kineticist. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ruki said:

I enjoyed the management portion... but some of the choices were just bad. Upgrading your stats takes you out of commission for 2 weeks?! Insanely high skill checks? A lack of advisors for certain roles? Just such a pain. 

I'm running a Magus Archer. Getting off about 4-5 attacks per round with crazy damage output. I found an oversized bow in chapter 2 that I am still using because I've not found anything better. When I eventually play Wrath of the Righteous, I'm contemplating Rogue or a Kineticist. 

I think the worst aspect for the management is that a very specific path is required for the secret ending.

Spoiler

You need to research 13 curses, each one of them takes an insanely long time to do, don't really give you many bonuses for completing them, and none of them give you any indication that you need to do them, period.

On top of that, you need to stay positive towards Nyrissa throughout the game, and a few more hyper specific and kinda tedious things you have to do.

Guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1587659146

Another thing about the advisor I only realized until much-much later, you can hire custom characters from Anoriel, and these characters can be turned into advisors. Which is a bit bland, but can help if you are serious about sticking (close) to your allegiance with every choice you get, and the story companions will excuse themselves from their advisor role if you make decisions going against their desires/alignment a few too many times.

I had Lander walk out on being my regent because I decided against him one too many time, and it left me with a hole in that position because Valerie and Octavia where already in other positions. Very frustrating.

5 hours ago, Daddy Magic JasonM said:

I think the worst aspect for the management is that a very specific path is required for the secret ending.

Hide contents

You need to research 13 curses, each one of them takes an insanely long time to do, don't really give you many bonuses for completing them, and none of them give you any indication that you need to do them, period.

On top of that, you need to stay positive towards Nyrissa throughout the game, and a few more hyper specific and kinda tedious things you have to do.

Guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1587659146

Another thing about the advisor I only realized until much-much later, you can hire custom characters from Anoriel, and these characters can be turned into advisors. Which is a bit bland, but can help if you are serious about sticking (close) to your allegiance with every choice you get, and the story companions will excuse themselves from their advisor role if you make decisions going against their desires/alignment a few too many times.

I had Lander walk out on being my regent because I decided against him one too many time, and it left me with a hole in that position because Valerie and Octavia where already in other positions. Very frustrating.

You can use custom characters as advisors?? Dammit! I have an empty Warden because of the 3 available: I disagreed with Reg so he left, I didn't recruit one of the party members, and the other guy died..

I hear the Crusade system in the sequel is equally flawed.

....apparently for a quest in Kingmaker, you need an item that only appears once. When you get it, it looks like the regular junk you sell. That is annoying as hell. I may or may not have cheated to get the item back into my game. 

2 hours ago, Ruki said:

....apparently for a quest in Kingmaker, you need an item that only appears once. When you get it, it looks like the regular junk you sell. That is annoying as hell. I may or may not have cheated to get the item back into my game. 

Is it?

Spoiler

The heart of the forge, or whatever that thing was called that Harrim smashed to bits in the old dwarven dungeon?

3 hours ago, Daddy Magic JasonM said:

Is it?

Hide contents

The heart of the forge, or whatever that thing was called that Harrim smashed to bits in the old dwarven dungeon?

Am I supposed to do something with that heart? I've had it forever. I was referring to an artesian quest where there's only 1 emerald necklace in the game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ruki said:

Am I supposed to do something with that heart? I've had it forever. I was referring to an artesian quest where there's only 1 emerald necklace in the game.

The heart of the anvil is a part of Harrim's personal quest. But I wouldn't be surprised if you left Harrim at home after two minutes of hearing him be Dwarven Eeyore

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheGrandAvatar said:

Great. Now have to remember to save that item in Kingmaker.

Very new to the series. Enjoying it so far on a first playthrough. One or two annoying characters. 

Spoiler-free-ish list of stuff to keep when you find it.

Spoiler

- Keep 1 emerald for a quest
- You can sell all books except Part 1-3 of "Of Transmutations and Bodily Poisons" (For Quest)
- Ancient Cyclops Coins/Ancient Elven Beads/Ancient Rostlandic Coins/Tribal Fetishes/Skymetal Cogs/Taldan Dog Tags/Tokens of the Dryad/Torag Pendants (can trade them for financial reward after the prologue)
- Dinosaur/Dragon bones (for high level spellcasting)
- Diamond Dust and/or Diamonds (For mid-level spellcasting)
- Rope and crowbar (make sure you have 1 of each, can be used for specific prompts)
- Heart of the Forge (for Harrim's personal quest)
- Roc Egg (Quest item)
- Elven Absinthe (Quest Item)

Link to all possible relics, spoilery! (Every full set gives lore + unique item | available after the prologue)
https://pathfinderkingmaker.fandom.com/wiki/Relic_Fragments

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/05/2022 at 23:54, Chris2K said:

I've been playing the Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe version all weekend, having not played the game originally. It is hilariously funny, and occasionally quite creepy, and overall a really good game. That said, the additional content really justifies the price tag, so I'm quite glad I didn't play it before it had more to do.

Extra content spoiler:

Hide contents

Everything involving the bucket is an absolute ride, as is the complete insanity of going through Steam reviews and the narrator reacting accordingly.

picked this up for switch. didn't really know anything about it apart from once seeing a clip of stanley walking down a corridor. loving it. I think I'm doing pretty good, and I think I know where there are at least two more standard endings. I haven't even really started on the 

Spoiler

bucket

stuff yet

At the point of no return for Kingmaker! The portal boss though....

Spoiler

Two lesser Jabberwocks? Frig off. With 36 AC it's almost impossible to hit. And such a high spell resistance makes my wizard useless. 

Annoyingly... the reason I needed the emerald necklace was to get an artesian masterwork bow. Which I never got :( I'm still using the bow I got all the way back in chapter 2!

Edit: I am not enjoying the last dungeon. All the enemy ACs are over 30!

• Like 1

Ah, the dreaded "post beating a game blahs".... nothing seems appealing. NHL was a bust, FFXV felt dated, I put Ghostwire Tokyo down last week and have felt no pull to pick it back up.

I suppose i could attempt to start Lost Judgement or continue Pokémon Arceus. 

Geoff Keighley's Summer Game Fest showcase is tomorrow at 7pm BST/2pm EST/3pm PST. While there may be some reveals, it's mostly going to focus on games that have already been announced. You can probably expect plenty of flow-breaking interviews in which Keighley fawns over the latest Ubisoft copy-and-paste sandbox slog.