What Did You Watch Today? 2022

IDOL

1 minute ago, fourstarfizzle said:

Doing that on live TV just sets a tone for anyone to be a Will Smith now and physically assault a comedian if they don't like what they hear. 

No...no it doesn't

1 hour ago, Lint said:

No...no it doesn't

As someone who has a fair few mates on the UK comedy circuit, some who have been threatened, I think it kinda does. Reacting with violence because your offended by a joke is setting a poor tone.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I feel for all the winners who are being robbed of their moment and recognition because of Will Smith's antics. 

Yep I think this is it for me. I'm miles further away from the industry than someone like you, and really have no interest in watching the Oscars (neither Paddington received a best picture nomination so what's the fucking point?), but all I know about it waking up is this. This little trend of using "edgy" comedians saying "the things you aren't allowed to say" (yes I did just see Stewart Lee) for award shows was inevitably going to bite them in the arse eventually when someone didn't like the joke.

• Like 1

There are so many people saying this was staged. I think it's like wrestling where nothing real can happen because of the setting. It certainly seemed real to me. 

Although this still of Chris bracing himself for the slap rather than trying to block it doesn't do it any favours. In fairness it happened quickly!

9505f313-0818-4998-be33-e9c60e06c1b4.jpg

As I'm on the side of this being real, I still think it's shitty all around. It's overshadowed others who should be getting their Oscars moment.

Nah Chris Rock was shook up trying to continue I can’t imagine it’s staged.

Though it does seem weird that it cuts to Will laughing his head off while Jada’s look turns uncomfortable, cut away and then Will is going to the stage.

If he just shouted what he shouted after without slapping the guy, it’s fine. Telling someone to keep your wife’s name out of their mouth when they’re making a joke about a sensitive medical condition is fine, but don’t hit someone, come on.

I don't think anything pre-planned would involve Smith swearing twice on a live broadcast, and I assume that Rock not defending himself is based on not expecting that he would be physically attacked in a million years. 

It's no Jarvis Cocker hitting Michael Jackson on stage at the Brits in 1996. Or John Wayne having to be restrained (supposededly) from confronting Sacheen Littlefeather.

It's all very silly and immature. Also, have we heard at all what Jada Pinkett Smith has had to say? Was she offended? Was she fine with it? That seems more important than Will Smith's posturing.

Also, I didn't even know Will Smith was in an Oscar nominated movie. Even though I am pretty sure I saw the trailer for the film.

12 minutes ago, Colly said:

Jarvis didn't hit Jackson did he, I thought he just wiggled his arse at him?

wait, yes, you're right I am mistaken

What did Jarvis Cocker do to Michael Jackson at the BRITs?

Running a gauntlet of child and adult extras dressed as stylised beggars, Jarvis Cocker of indie band Pulp had just gatecrashed Jackson's 1996 Brit Awards performance. In a display of irreverence, Cocker waggled his rear at the crowd, pretending to break wind. Shortly afterwards he was gone while Jackson sang on.

There’s a lot of bad takes on this one. Chris Rock was being an unfunny late stage comedian but Will Smith’s reaction was that of someone that’s not entirely mentally balanced. His victory speech was the rambling mess of an egomaniac and it’s disappointing that he didn’t get played off because the show wanted ratings and a buzz moment

Here’s hoping they both disappear off the pop culture landscape for a while. I feel very bad for Jessica

Nobody will be talking about this in a week just as no one was going to talk about The Oscars in a week. It's a shame the awards have been hijacked as part of the culture war in the US and, more specifically, are a celebration of actors and celebrity more than they are filmmaking. Half of the good awards got jettisoned to the preshow for no reason other than ABC wants the telecast to be fixated on the celebrities and isolated "viral" moments. So to that end, I suppose Chris Rock and Will Smith fulfilled the network's ultimate goal.

Anyway, I lagged behind on most of the movies this year despite so many being on streaming since the ecosystem of streaming is so convoluted. Every year I make a concerted effort but I simply get worse and worse, especially post-pandemic as I'm just not in the theater as much as I used to be. Maybe for the next cycle that will change.

Also seeing the clip of Ryusuke Hamaguchi being played off twice has made me a lot more upset than this celebrity scuffle. That's some grade A "nobody cares who this guy is, boot him" bullshit from an Academy laden with bullshit.

• Like 2

The sad thing about this whole thing is that no one is now talking about who won the awards. Just Will Smith slapping Chris Rock. If and as highly unlikely that it was staged they did this to chalk up some extra publicity then that in itself is wrong.

It was just so High School. It was a shitty awful joke but if my partner reacted like that and we are supposedly grown adults I would be more embarrassed than I was after the joke. People talking about Will should have been arrested and Judd Apatow's nonsense about Will being so mad he could have murdered Chris Rock are a bit much though

• Like 1