What Did You Watch Today? 2022

IDOL

Just finished the movie Mayday I really thought I was going to like it. Seemed like a female empowerment thing and like maybe it is? But I have no idea what I just watched. Am I just stupid and don't get symbolism? Anyway off to do some reading so I can find out how I just spent the last two hours I guess

• 2 weeks later...

Catching up with The Boys. Love comic book characters and live adaptations of them.

The Boys has scratched that itch in me of oh I need to see an R-Rated off the wall Supes film. Just funny, gory, shocking and fantastic really. Looking forward to Season 3. Homelander is fantastic. Can not look at Cody Rhodes the same 😆

Doctor Strange 2, though I'll leave that for the Marvel thread.

But I also watched the 2015 adaptation of Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods. I've been trying to find this one version of an audiobook me and a friend used to listen to but not having much luck, did lead me to remembering this film exists though which is a little odd but I suppose they'll make a movie out of near enough anything. But you can see where it has the makings of an odd couple type of comedy experience both on the more basic level of getting on each others nerves being in such close proximity for so long, but also for their differing views on life. Kinda lends itself well too that that whole 'indie' vibe I have perceived in my head of someone finding themselves and going on this emotional journey, with Bryson having this jaded professional life.

Though, there wasn't really an discension betwen Bryson/Katz to speak of, the movie never really lingered long enough in any one area to get sight of any problems between the two. Just minor disagreements or good natured ribbing. This also means we don't get too much of Mary Ellen either, though they made a great casting choice of Kristen Schaal in that role, even if they didn't have her blow her nose once. That's her whole thing! I feel like they could have done more to really sell how annoying she is over a more prolonged time but she comes and goes very quickly. The movie has that road trip feel to it so it zips along, which is a little at odds with the fact it's about two guys in their 60's with dodgy knees trying to hike some 2000+ miles.

Nick Nolte does a good job as Katz, he brings a lot of fun to proceedings like Katz's illicit rendevouz with the rotund lady in the laundrette, running afoul of her husband. Bryson can be a bit of a dry know it all in comparsion so it's nice to have these differing personalities to bounce off each other given a lot of the movie revolves around them and most any of character feels rather incidental. Like Mary Steenburgen as the lady who runs this motel and they briefly hint that there might be some romantic fling between her and Bryson but she's quickly out of the picture too. Or maybe, thinking about it, maybe it's just another means to underline the differences between Bryson and Katz. Bryson's 'holiday romance' being this brief 'will they/wont they' filled with charming awkwardness where Katz is a bit more seedy with a fat ladies panties and a pissed off husband kicking in motel doors and swinging a baseball bat.

Watched Senior Year on Netflix.  Its...very OK. 

Most of the humor comes from someone going into a coma in 2002, waking up in 2022 and seeing how the culture has changed.  Like Rebel Wilsons character doesn't understand why she can't say something is "retarded" or "gay".  As someone who was 21 in 2002 and, unfortunately used those terms negatively, I understood her confusion about it

One highlight is the character Yaz, played by Joshua Colley.  He's hilarious and really cute.  He's apparently mostly a stage actor, this is only his 2nd film role, but I think he has a future

One scene that I laughed at particularly hard probably wasn't intentionally funny.  Angourie Rice, who plays the younger version of Rebel Wilsons character, says "Everyone thinks I'm ugly".

Watched Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf as part of our weekly movie night.

That is a great movie. My one criticism is that it's maybe a little too long at 2hrs 10mins.

It has also just occured to me that the weekly movie night I've been doing online with friends has been going for almost 2 full years.

The Batman (2022)

Why does everyone in this movie whisper. What the fuck.

It's a fine movie but like seriously, I have my volume jacked up to 100 and everyone's still like holy shit! it's the batman!

3 hours ago, IDOL said:

Watched Hook and still love that movie. Fuck the haters. Rufio! Rufio! Rufio!

As much beloved he was as a comedian, my 3 favorite Robin Williams moves are HOOK, BICENTENNIAL MAN, and MRS. DOUBTFIRE. Those are all as much (if not more) dramas as comedies. (THE BIRDCAGE is a close 4th.)

• Like 1

I was just about to come here to say that. Not the drugs part, but the would recommend part. I love Ugly Sonic.

• Like 2

Same, such a wild and fun movie that was much better then I was expecting it to be!

We watched M. Night Shyamalan's Old the other night and I really really enjoyed it - definitely would recommend. Had us thinking a lot and intrigued the whole time

4 hours ago, Krabby said:

We watched M. Night Shyamalan's Old the other night and I really really enjoyed it - definitely would recommend. Had us thinking a lot and intrigued the whole time

I only gave OLD a viewing because of seeing the trailer while at a theater watching another movie. Because I was seriously pissed off at Shyamalan over GLASS. OLD was a damn good movie, and the twist actually made sense. But GLASS's ending was complete and utter shit. 

(If anyone has seen UNBREAKABLE and SPLIT, but for some reason haven't seen GLASS, I recommend forgetting it was even made.)

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1

Watched Top Gun: Maverick and thought it was great. Non-spoiler review in spoiler tags just cos it's a bit tl;dr tbh. 

Spoiler

While Marvel continue to maintain a new equilibrium, 2022 is already delivering distinctive big screen experiences - Matt Reeves' grounded The Batman in genre, Daniels' have reminded us about the beauty of innovation and now we've got Tom Cruise resurrecting the spirit of the classic Hollywood blockbuster.

I think Top Gun: Maverick will mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people, but one thing it can't be accused of is being soulless. This is big budget, character-driven melodrama that leans into one of the few remaining beacons of Hollywood stardom to create a film that is only concerned with making you feel emotion on the grandest scale possible. 

Whether you feel it or not (I did), it's just refreshing to see a legacy sequel aim for the heart. This does so under the guise of a sun-kissed aesthetic and thrilling high-velocity action sequences. This also doesn't feel like a legacy sequel that's interested in the passing of the guard, more to immortalise Tom Cruise, to remind us of the everlasting power of stardom, of cinematic heroes, even as the world stars to pass them by. 

It can be messy in parts and supporting characters are undercooked, but compensates for that by creating such huge stakes for them by laying the burden of their fate in the hands of our main character, who is haunted by loss we experienced with him in the first film and whose dealing with grief we experience with him in this. 

I doubt this film will ever mean as much to me as it did during my time in the cinema - I don't know if it'll stay with me for years to come, or hold up on a re-watch - but I can confidently say I loved being swept up in it all, fully immersed, escapism complimented by feeling. 

It should be the standard but it isn't. So, sign me up for the next Tom Cruise blockbuster because he gets it.

• Like 2