What Did You Watch Today? 2022

IDOL

On 24/06/2022 at 22:16, VerbalPuke said:

Took the kids to see Jurassic Park.

I've never really rated the Jurassic Park series, but this was fun. Kinda dragged toward the end but a fun movie for the big screen.

Also, Chris Pratt is sexy as hell, god damn.

I'm looking forward to your Super Mario review now. :lol:

• Haha 1

Saw Top Gun: Maverick last night and it was really good fun, felt that it combined the nostalgia of the first one with new storytelling elements in a really quality way, and was definitely an enjoyable movie

Also watched Downton Abbey: A New Era and, as much as I liked Downton Abbey the series and previous movie, I was pretty disappointed. The movie really fell flat for me. It really felt liked they half-assed two things instead of full-assing one thing. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:
  Hide contents

I felt like it had a very good first half and completely falls apart in the last act.

Yeah, this is a better way of putting it.

Spoiler

The ending definitely soured all of the good stuff in the beginning for me.

• Like 1

We watched It Follows the other night - and for a creepypasta type of a movie, I really enjoyed it! Yes there are some issues but I enjoyed the cinematography and thought they did a very good job of making me scared several times

• Like 1

Watched The Gray Man last night. I love mindless action flicks which is basically what this was. I feel like Chris Evans should have hammed it up a bit more in his role but it was fun for what it was.

So, I heard One Piece had a 1000th episode. I've decided to revisit my teenage years and watched the first 50 episodes (the later dub). It's better than I remember, and I have no recollection of any of these episodes until Arlong Park.

Fairly enjoyable, especially when treated to some epic battle scenes. Tends to drag in some story arcs but that's only natural when slowly introducing various characters. I think the best scene so far is easily this and is the first time we really see 'the crew' unite out of a sense of justice. Guessing anyone who has watched One Piece will know what's coming up.

Spoiler

21 hours ago, Azazel said:

I thought Deep Blue Sea 3 was fantastic.

Also just watched Prey, also fantastic.  Plus I love that my former wrestling manager had a rather large part in the movie.

Prey was sooo fucking good

• Like 1

The Man From Toronto.

So glad Jason Statham dropped out, because Woody Harrelson did a much better job in the title role than I believe Statham would have.

If you've seen either (or both) of THE HITMAN'S BODYGUARD movie, then you'll kind of have an idea what to expect, if you replace Ryan Reynolds character with Kevin Hart's usual bumbling idiot whose heart is in the right place type characters and don't make the hitman's girlfriend a badass. In fact, the movie has the same director as those, and

Spoiler

he apparently wants to do a crossover, which I'm all for.

We watched The Black Phone the other night on Peacock and really enjoyed it! Some brief thoughts - no real spoilers, but just in case:

Spoiler

Ethan Hawke did very well being unhinged and Mason Thames did a really good job in his role as a bullied kid/protagonist. One of the things I really enjoyed in the movie is that they did, for me at least, an incredibly efficient job at doing some really good story telling. There are characters we only get some small clips/one scene of but it established them well and made their outcomes meaningful. The end was pretty predictable but that didn't make it bad and they did enough to convince you that they may shock you one way or another. 

All in all I was pretty hyped for this movie and it didn't really let me down!

• Like 1

Forgot to mention that last week, I watched Thirteen Lives, the story of the young Thai football team and their coach that got stuck in a cave when the monsoon season struck early.

It's really good. Doesn't waste any time getting straight to the point, though I will say that once the rescue effort begins, it does drag a little towards the end. 

I went in not knowing everything about the story/rescue so there were a couple of things that surprised me. I even had to fact check them in case it was being sensationalised for the film.

On 17/08/2022 at 19:15, Krabby said:

We watched The Black Phone the other night on Peacock and really enjoyed it!

This is what I plan on watching next.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IDOL said:

After putting off watching it for years, I think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind just became my favorite Jim Carrey film. Absolutely loved it.

Such a great film with an immense cast when you think about who is in it.

Last night, having seen the trailer for Wednesday, I watched Addams Family Values and realized how I miss Raul Julia.