Comic Book Films & TV Thread 2022

Lint

Went and saw The Batman today.  It was fine

On 14/03/2022 at 08:08, Lint said:

Went and saw The Batman today.  It was fine

This was the first movie I've watched in the cinema since the pandemic, and I couldn't help but think that it was both too short and too long, and would've been better as a miniseries, instead.

51 minutes ago, michgcs said:

This was the first movie I've watched in the cinema since the pandemic, and I couldn't help but think that it was both too short and too long, and would've been better as a miniseries, instead.

Easily felt about 30 minutes or so could've been cut off the movie for pacing.  While I did like it, there were certain parts where I was just downright bored

I loved a lot of The Batman, do think I agree that it ended up running about 20 to 30 minutes too long but I feel that about a lot of movies these days (I fucking loved Licorice Pizza but in the last twenty minutes I just kind of started switching off).

I thought it was really cool the way it felt like it kind of synthesized a load of prior iterations of Batman in pop culture in a really organic way. There's also stuff I thought was just deeply funny, even if the other three people in the theater with me were dead silent.

Spoiler

The "thumb drive" gag is pretty much exactly what an R-rated version of Frank Gorshin's Riddler would have pulled off, the reveal of The Twins felt very much like a B:TAS/Burton Batman thing and made me chuckle, and holy shit Penguin roasting Batman and Gordon for their shitty Spanish was fantastic.

Also loved Batman dropping the "I am vengeance" line and then multiple characters calling him "Vengeance" like it's his actual name. The fact that this Batman feels really, truly street-level and a little constrained in what he does and what he knows rules. I love that he has to get into the Iceberg Lounge by knocking on the door and being invited in rather than being hypercompetent at everything.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I loved a lot of The Batman, do think I agree that it ended up running about 20 to 30 minutes too long but I feel that about a lot of movies these days (I fucking loved Licorice Pizza but in the last twenty minutes I just kind of started switching off).

I thought it was really cool the way it felt like it kind of synthesized a load of prior iterations of Batman in pop culture in a really organic way. There's also stuff I thought was just deeply funny, even if the other three people in the theater with me were dead silent.

Hide contents

The "thumb drive" gag is pretty much exactly what an R-rated version of Frank Gorshin's Riddler would have pulled off, the reveal of The Twins felt very much like a B:TAS/Burton Batman thing and made me chuckle, and holy shit Penguin roasting Batman and Gordon for their shitty Spanish was fantastic.

Also loved Batman dropping the "I am vengeance" line and then multiple characters calling him "Vengeance" like it's his actual name. The fact that this Batman feels really, truly street-level and a little constrained in what he does and what he knows rules. I love that he has to get into the Iceberg Lounge by knocking on the door and being invited in rather than being hypercompetent at everything.

Spoiler

A great callback to vampires needing to be invited in for R-Pat. 

• Like 1

The Batman was bloody great - a bleak visual feast. 

On 17/03/2022 at 09:21, GoGo Yubari said:

Hide contents

My girlfriend and I were the only one in our theater who laughed at 'You have a lot of cats.'.

Great movie. Great fucking movie. Literally exactly the Batman I want. Paul Dano was great, really had a great 'what if the Riddler was a redditor' vibe.

• Like 2

I didn't realise it at the time (thought it makes perfect sense now) - the cinematograpy was done by Greig Fraser who also did Villeneuve's Dune. Loved so many shots from the film. 

Pretty massive deleted scene from The Batman has been released

Spoiler

I don't hate his portrayal, but it very, very reminiscent of Ledger's take.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Maxx said:

Reveal hidden contents

Love it. Can't wait to see more of that

12 hours ago, Maxx said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I don't disagree, but I'd liken it to the difference between copying an A student or a D- student. :shifty: It also seems like, with this Joker being freshly scarred, we may not be far off from whenever he first fell into that chemical vat, right?

Went to see it last night. Some thoughts:

In 100% agreement that the movie was too long. 20 to 30 minutes could have been cut, easily.

The movie is more like a detective/mystery action movie than just happens to have a superhero lead than a straight-up superhero film, and that's a compliment. One of Batman's nicknames is "The Darknight Detective", after all.

The Riddler was a cross between The Riddler, Hush and the real life Zodiac Killer, with the nutso factor cranked up.

If Selina returns for the sequel, here's hoping she gets a proper mask that will actually disguise her face.

As much as I love Gary Oldman as an actor, Jeffrey Wright is now my favorite live-action James Gordon.

Some spoilery shit:

Spoiler

As soon as they noticed the mayor's thumb cut off, my first thought was `biometrics', and I was right. 

Best live-action Batmobile since the 60's tv series. The whole sequence with the Batmobile was great.

I'm still stunned at the makeup job for the Penguin. If I didn't know beforehand it was Colin Ferrell, there's no way I'd have known!

Batman's intro, with all the various criminals looking to the shadows and him not showing up, is an `oh, shit!' moment when he finally does. Hands down the coolest intro for the character out of all the live-action movies. And the costume design is clearly influenced by the various Arkham games.

The whole damn cast, with one exception mentioned below, was great. Pattinson has already kicked Bale down a notch or two on the favorite Batman and Bruce Wayne lists. (Bale's Bruce Wayne came off too much like a dick at times.)

What I did not like:

Batman essentially being knocked out twice.

The Joker. Should have held off for the second movie for that tease, and the actor's voice sounds too young and doesn't fit the character. As good as he was as Druig in The Eternals, I cannot see Barry Keogh being a good Joker at all.

One question, though: Was there a cutscene during or after the credits? The movie ended after midnight, and we were all too tired to stick around and wait.

On 26/03/2022 at 00:18, GhostMachine said:

One question, though: Was there a cutscene during or after the credits? The movie ended after midnight, and we were all too tired to stick around and wait.

Nope. But at the end of the credits they show you and URL that leads you to a website supposedly run by the Riddler on which you can solve riddles to unlock some in-universe supplementary material.

Reviews for Morbius are coming in and it...doesn't seem good.  Currently sitting at 20% on Rotten Tomatoes.  11 "Fresh" reviews out of a total of 57

Peacemaker has finally dropped in the UK. I'm four episodes in and it's just really nice having a fun show like this to relax with. It's not standout TV, but I think it's laying the groundwork to do some potentially interesting things. Fun to see John Cena expand his range and having a lot of fun while doing it. A really decent spin off so far.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 2