Comic Book Films & TV Thread 2022

Lint

I will say this: it's rare that adaptations are better on screen than the comics/originals, but The Boys show is so clear of the comics it's not even close. They've taken all the many rough edges of the comics and polished it so well, it's like those rough edges are Translucent: invisible to the naked eye 

• Like 4

The Boys S3 Finale spoilers:

Spoiler

I'm genuinely annoyed they killed Black Noir off, they've had three seasons of subtle teases, slowly drip-feeding information, setting up potential storylines or big moments.... and he gets killed, by Homelander of course, before any of that comes to a conclusion.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a jab, but I am surprised it was still going.

I checked out around season 2/3, but also in general it feels the relevancy of the arrowverse fell off the cliff after the end of Arrow and the inability of the other shows to elevate themselves.

Not that Arrow had been good at the end, but it was still coasting on a lot of early fans the other shows never really got.

Warner/Discovery has cancelled the Batgirl movie. It's already filmed and everything. No plans to put it straight to DVD or even on HBO Max. Fuckin' wild, they spent almost $100m on this and it featured Michael Keaton as Batman.

Its time for THE FLASH to end. Its still a somewhat decent show, but more or less jumped the shark a few seasons back. You can only keep bringing Thawne back despite clearly having died and/or been depowered so many times, for example. I hope (probably in vain) that he's not in season 9 at all except in flashbacks. But it looks like they're setting up

Spoiler

Cobalt Blue, Barry's evil twin

to be the baddie.

The Batgirl movie that was filmed is NOT going to be released. Period. Not to HBO Max, theaters, DVD, streaming, etc. Reason is supposedly because its that bad.

But keep this in mind: The Ezra Miller Flashpoint movie is still on schedule. Despite that he's apparently assaulted multiple women AND may be a paedo.

Edited by GhostMachine

9 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

The Batgirl movie that was filmed is NOT going to be released. Period. Not to HBO Max, theaters, DVD, streaming, etc. Reason is supposedly because its that bad.

That isn't true. By all accounts it was testing pretty well when they did private screenings.

via Deadline:

Neither big enough to feel worthy of a major theatrical release, nor small enough to make economic sense in an increasingly cutthroat streaming landscape. Spending the money to expand the scope of “Batgirl” for theaters — plus the $30 million to $50 million needed to market it domestically and the tens of millions more needed for a global rollout — could have nearly doubled spending on the film, and insiders say that was a non-starter at a company newly focused on belt-tightening and the bottom line.

Releasing the movie on HBO Max would seem to be the most obvious solution. Instead, the company has shelved “Batgirl” — along with the “Scoob!” sequel — and several sources say it will almost certainly take a tax write-down on both films, seen internally as the most financially sound way to recoup the costs (at least, on an accountant’s ledger). It could justify that by chalking it up to a post-merger change of strategy.

Doing so, however, would mean that Warner Bros. cannot monetize either movie — no HBO Max debut, no sale to another studio.

TLDR: The budget for the movie almost doubled due to COVID stuff, and releasing it in theaters would mean putting even more money into advertising. The new regime didn't feel like it was a big "blockbuster/tentpole" movie, which is what they want to focus on releasing now. They'll do a tax write-down, recoup some of that money, but in doing so means it'll never see the light of day (unless someone leaks it - but never officially released).

Edited by tristy

• 2 months later...

Alan Moore Told ‘Watchmen’ Showrunner ‘Don’t Bother Me’ About ‘Embarrassing’ HBO Adaptation

They really need to start including a "Do not contact, mention, or even think of, Alan Moore" clause to these contracts

• 1 month later...

Patty Jenkins’ ‘Wonder Woman 3’ Not Moving Forward as DC Movies Hit Turning Point (Exclusive)

To summerize

1.  WW3 is not going to happen

2.  Man of Steel 2 probably not happening

3.  Black Adam 2 most definitely not happening

4.  Jason Momoa maybe done as Aquaman after Lost City.  Might be recast as Lobo

5.  Nothing set for Shazam or Blue Beetle after their respective movies come out.  Their success or failure could be the deciding factor

6.  No changes for Matt Reeves The Batman series, will continue as is

7.  The Flash SOMEHOW still coming out

7 hours ago, Happy HoLintdays said:

I haven't seen it but I was under the impression Black Adam was fairly successful? Surprised its been canned already.

It wasn't, at least not relative to what they spent on it. To be honest I thought about seeing it a bunch of times and every single time I just didn't have enough interest to leave my house for it. The ad campaigns didn't tell me a single thing about the movie other than "Black Adam is cool and doesn't play by the rules and the JSA, who are not as cool and do play by the rules, are also in this movie."

• Thanks 1

On 08/12/2022 at 00:18, Happy HoLintdays said:

Patty Jenkins’ ‘Wonder Woman 3’ Not Moving Forward as DC Movies Hit Turning Point (Exclusive)

To summerize

1.  WW3 is not going to happen

2.  Man of Steel 2 probably not happening

4.  Jason Momoa maybe done as Aquaman after Lost City.  Might be recast as Lobo

5.  Nothing set for Shazam or Blue Beetle after their respective movies come out.  Their success or failure could be the deciding factor

6.  No changes for Matt Reeves The Batman series, will continue as is

7.  The Flash SOMEHOW still coming out

If Aquaman does somehow continue, with or without Jason Momoa, I think its a sure thing Mera will either be killed off (offscreen or face not shown) or recast. 

The Flash is still happening, but Ezra Miller is done in the role whether he ends up locked up or not.

From what I understand, WW3 may still happen eventually, but with a different script. 

"I'll do a Spider-Man movie but only if it's about the Hypno-Hustler" feels like Donald Glover bluffing Sony and them calling him on it. Very excited for this ridiculous idea.

• Like 2