2022 NFL Off-Season thread

The Buscher

The Rams and Stafford's have said they're covering all her hospital bills after the fall.

For what it's worth, Stafford clearly talks to his wife who then rushes over. It's not as if he and everyone else walked away. Some people just back off as soon as they see someone else has the matter handled. Basically I just think people are reading way too much into a relatively short video clip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CM Busch said:

I don't think most people will kill Stafford for this since he was obviously plastered but yeah, those are some really bad optics.

This might make me sound awful but I may have reacted the same. Like "oh fuck fuck what do i do".

I don't think he should get shit for this though.

I don't think Stafford's an asshole or anything, it was just a matter of really bad timing and camera angles.  Some angles really do make it look like he just says "oh wow" and then takes a sip of water and walks off.  Hence, bad optics.

Glad they're footing the bill because that was a tough fall.

• Admin

Roger Goodell may extend his time as commissioner of the NFL, according to a report in Sports Business Journal published on Friday.

Goodell is negotiating a fourth contract extension which could be in place in the coming months, according to Sports Business Journal, citing multiple sources. Goodell last signed a deal in 2017, taking him through 2024. At the time, an NFL spokesman said it would be the last contract for Goodell, who turned 63 on Feb. 19.

Instead, an extension is being negotiated, according to SBJ.

NFL vice president of communications Brian McCarthy said "there is no truth to this report."

"[Goodell's] at the top of his game right now. Why would we want him walking out the door?" an NFL owner told SBJ.

The report said that Goodell's deal would likely be extended two to four years beyond the 2024 expiration date.

Goodell became NFL commissioner in 2006.

The NFL has informed the House Oversight Committee and Reform that Mary Jo White will lead the investigation into new allegations surrounding Washington Commanders owner Dan Snyder.

The NFL says that a written report will be released publicly, something that was not done after the initial investigation into Washington's workplace culture.

White, a former Chair of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, led the 2018 investigation into Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, who was accused of workplace misconduct - including sexual harassment and one case of a racial slur by former Panthers' employees. Richardson decided to sell the team long before White's five-month investigation ended. The league fined him $2.75 million after her findings found him at fault.

The NFL already has fined Washington $10 million for its workplace culture following a nearly year-long investigation by attorney Beth Wilkinson and her firm. That fine was announced on July 1. However, based on White's findings there could be further penalties levied on Washington and Snyder.

A new charge by former Washington employee Tiffani Johnston about Snyder led to the team and the league both saying they would investigate the situation. But NFL commissioner Roger Goodell made it clear that only the NFL would look into the matter.

Johnston, a former marketing and events coordinator for the team, told a congressional committee at a roundtable session on Feb. 3 that she was "strategically" placed next to Snyder at a work dinner sometime in 2005 or 2006 "not to discuss business, but to allow him, Dan Snyder, to place his hand on my thigh under the table."

She also said Snyder later tried to force her into his limousine. A letter from Jason Friedman, another former employee, was presented at the roundtable, stating he had witnessed Snyder trying to steer Johnston into the limo.

Johnston was one of five women who shared their story in front of Congress, but the others had cooperated during the initial investigation so the NFL already knew their stories. Johnston said she declined to talk to Wilkinson, who was in charge of the investigation, out of fear of retaliation by Snyder.

The initial report was delivered orally, Goodell said, because many who participated wanted to remain anonymous. A number of women, though, who did participate have been vocal about their desire for all the information to be released.

White's investigation will be made public because, the league source said, the allegations were made in an open forum "with no expectation of anonymity."

White, who is part of the Debevoise & Plimpton firm, also was part of the NFL's external expert advisory panel on domestic violence. She helped review allegations against Dallas running back Ezekiel Elliott, who was then suspended for six games in 2017.

The NFL and Washington have been at odds lately over this situation and the team's cooperation with Congress. The league sent a letter to Congress on Feb. 9, saying the team has blocked access to more than 100,000 documents. The team denied preventing the NFL from obtaining any non-privileged documents.

At the time, an Oversight committee spokesperson said, "Until the NFL holds Mr. Snyder accountable and stops hiding the truth about the outrageous workplace conduct under his watch, the League's claims about transparency and accountability will continue to ring hollow."

If Congress is not satisfied with the documents it receives, or if information in those reveal a need for more action, it could opt to hold hearings, possibly issuing subpoena's if necessary.

23 minutes ago, CM Busch said:

I always forget how much the first Sunday without NFL football since September sucks.

Missing those back to back QB sneaks already?

But I'm so ready for the reign of Gettleman to be torn down in the next couple of months. Let's see if we can try and put together a half decent team next year!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These are all fine moves.  Aikman is a massive improvement to the MNF booth and provided they pick Greg Olsen because obviously Sean Payton is going to coach again, that's a great move for Fox too, as Olsen is rock solid.

I just some someone tries to pull a rabbit out of their head and gives Witten another shot!