Elden Ring

Maxx

I know this is possibly sacrilegious in the face of 'OMG GREATEST GAME EVA~!' reviews but I feel like I'm a little on the fence about the whole thing in the early going.

Spoiler

There's some additions that I really like. Like, the jump is a bit janky (maybe because I'm so used to not jumping that it looks alien) but it opens up possibilities in combat and it can feel quite cinematic to run up a bunch of rocks and dive off to do a plunging attack on an enemy.

Loving the horse combat too, again it brings variety to the combat being able to engage in these hit and run tactics on the bigger enemies. And with the small ones you can just equip a polearm and go to town on them. Plus, when you do come up against other people on horseback it gives the whole thing a medieval joust feel.

Going out into the world is quite awe inspiring in the same way as Elder Scrolls or Fallout, especially when you catch sight of that big glowing tree. But the whole open world thing is kinda poking at the same instincts as those other games where I just sacked off the story and explored. Only, you just seem to come across delapidated buildings most of the time or stumble upon some great hulking boss that you 'NOPE' right out of. I have found a few caves which seem to be almost like mini-dungeons but emphasis on the mini, like 2 rooms at times. Smaller than even some of the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne. Sure you get a mini boss at the end but it's not satisfying in the same way as making it all the way through an area in some of the other games.

Given how open and vast the world is, it doesn't have that same sort of intense, claustrophobic atmosphere that you can get in some of the other games where you're deep in some dungeon and need to press on to find a way out. Though, there was one place I found that went against that; some sort of mineshaft type place that I couldn't climb back out of. Whole place was kinda reminiscent of Stonefang Tunnel.

I definitely need to start following the story more, I've generally just been pissing about so far so I'm sure what I've seen isn't a fair representation. A lot of that exploration was down to running afoul of Margit a few times, who I have now beaten. This may or may not have coincided with the Xbox servers and summoning actually working. :shifty:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rocksta said:

Yah I saw it in a no spoilers beginners guide. At least I am not too too deep.

I started w Vagabound enjoying melee but feel some what-ifs on trying magic. What about you? 

& yup good to be around we should get some co-op in at some point. How far are you in?

I went Bandit, but I’m considering abandoning it as it’s a pain in the ass to find good Dex based weapons that don’t also require me to put some points into Strength.  Figured I would be able to punt strength almost entirely with Bandits but that’s not looking likely. 

Bleed damage is fun, sneaking up and stealth killing people is fun,  but limited range and always having to parry all the time is less fun.  Might give Confessor a run because they can still do stealth kills really well.

20 hours ago, Maxx said:

I went Bandit, but I’m considering abandoning it as it’s a pain in the ass to find good Dex based weapons that don’t also require me to put some points into Strength.  Figured I would be able to punt strength almost entirely with Bandits but that’s not looking likely. 

Bleed damage is fun, sneaking up and stealth killing people is fun,  but limited range and always having to parry all the time is less fun.  Might give Confessor a run because they can still do stealth kills really well.

Yah I think the dex weapons are hard to find but maybe worth it. I've seen a double blade that needs high dex which is badass. Really want to go home and play but working away . 

I restarted as a Wretch after watching a video that made the very good point that you can only experience playing as a character that starts with nothing and has no idea where anything is on your first play through.  If you start with any other class, beat the game and then go Wretch, you can have the challenge of starting with nothing, but won't have that adventure of discovery too.

Can't remember the class name I picked but I think it's the very first slot. They have a halberd amongst their starting equipment so there was frankly no other choice for me. Was really tempted by the Samurai though.

5 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

Can't remember the class name I picked but I think it's the very first slot. They have a halberd amongst their starting equipment so there was frankly no other choice for me. Was really tempted by the Samurai though.

I think that'd be the Vagabond which is the one I started with. Great armor and a headstart for the Strength based build I wanted to do.

45 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

El Vagabundo!

22 minutes ago, Forky said:

For those of you who have played Souls games previously....is this harder, easier, the same?

There's a bit of difficulty frontloaded... if you just follow the critical path. The more you explore, the more you find, the more you experiment the easier it gets. VaatVidya has some really good Beginner's Guide and What To Do In The Early Game type videos for more guidance without really spoiling too much I think, they're great resources for new players I think.

OK, so I probably did speak too soon. Made it to Stormveil Castle and man this place is massive, just full of different paths and things to explore. Clearly the real Elden Ring starts here...

I read somewhere that an early boss is deliberately made almost too hard to encourage two elements - 1. Exploration away from the main path and 2. To show you that you can avoid bosses. 

2 hours ago, DFF said:

I read somewhere that an early boss is deliberately made almost too hard to encourage two elements - 1. Exploration away from the main path and 2. To show you that you can avoid bosses. 

This is fair honestly.

Of the group I'm talking to while we play it, two of us found strategies that worked in order to get through the boss but we had experience in all of the Souls games and some others went off and explored and fought the boss at a much higher level than us, and another still found that there was a indeed a path around.

Yah it's great that you can really choose how to navigate stuff. Bless anyone who took down the tree guy as a fresh character. 

Slipped in just an hour more last night. 1st game in awhile that has me wanting to clear time for it and looking stuff up at work. Excited to get a chunk of playtime in tonight. 

Cleared two dungeons that were giving me troubles previously in the hour. One with a mini boss who wasted all my throwing daggers and one with lots of trips that gave me a cool summon. Going to explore Limgrove more and then head into the castle eventually. 

Around 58 hours I finished the game. I think I unlocked the ability to do most of the endings as well, but went with one of them that had the longer buildup / the one I least wanted to put the work fully into to get again if I had to.

I started my new game plus tonight as well and blasted through the game with my gear until I got to the point where I can respec, and now I've changed over to a dexterity/intelligence build. One step closer to doing a magic build that I... never get around to in these games.

I got attacked by a giant crab after managing to run away from the dragon boss, went into one of the underground lairs and got attacked by giant rats skeleton people. Before escaping and somehow getting to storming and getting trampled by a giant so tonight was an intense play

On 03/03/2022 at 23:51, Ruki Returns said:

.... you guys are making me want this game, even though I will suck at and hate this game...

I've had it in my cart at least 3 times since it came out and I've talked myself out of it every time. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Forky said:

I've had it in my cart at least 3 times since it came out and I've talked myself out of it every time. 

I saw a video of someone being one shot from a million miles away and was like, "yeah, I can pass on this"