RIP Taylor Hawkins

ThrillhouseMAX

I remember watching an interview with him and Dave, and the interviewer asks Taylor how he feels about being rated one of the greatest drummers in rock music.

Dave looks at him and goes "You're not even the best drummer in the band!"

This really sucks, a massive loss for music

• Like 1

Shocking news. Taylor has had close calls before, but 50 years old is no age really.

It's weird to think that despite Foo Fighters being this big hulking rock machine with about 20 band members these days, to me they were Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins and some other blokes. Dave Grohl's recent book almost confirms that: the two were inseparable. The band will go on (I assume I'll be there at Villa Park on June 27th still) but for all intents and purposes, it's just lost half of its personality and heart. :(

• Like 2

I was talking to a friend yesterday about drummers that aren't often being put in discussions of being great drummers, and we mentioned Taylor Hawkins having perfect rhythm and how skilled he was to keep up with someone like Dave Grohl and making it seem effortless. And today I wake up this news :(

I was thinking of watching Studio 666 this weekend, but I don't think I feel I can watch such a thing now. This is terrible news, and not just Foo Fighters, but rock music is going to be a much less bright place without Taylor's presence.

Rest easy, sweet prince ❤️

• Like 2

So sad. My thoughts go out to the band and especially Dave, so much tragedy on his career that he's had to experience. As much of a machine as this band is, i honestly question if they go on from this, or at the very least go on a long hiatus.

Time to spin some records and enjoy the memories.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, fourstarfizzle said:

So sad. My thoughts go out to the band and especially Dave, so much tragedy on his career that he's had to experience. As much of a machine as this band is, i honestly question if they go on from this, or at the very least go on a long hiatus.

Personally, they definitely should go on hiatus. However, the likes of Dave Grohl will be probably thinking of all the crew who would go out of pocket if the show doesn't go on... such is the way with this large rock bands.

Think its important to note, that article says it was based off a urine test.  That will tell you if it was in his system, but not how much.  So its still not known if it was an OD.

They say 10 were found, but only list 4.

Marijuana, which..yea, duh

Opioids.  Could be heroin, could just be a painkiller.  Dudes been a world class drummer for, like 25 years or something like that.  No doubt he would've had shoulder issues, but I'd honestly be surprised if a recovering heroin addict would've been prescribed an opioid.

Benzo.  Used to treat anxiety and insomnia.  A recovering addict could be taking it for the first reason, a musician constantly touring the world could take it for the second reason.  Again, I'd be surprised if he was prescribed an opioid and Benzo together, that's a dangerous combination.

Tricyclic antidepressants.  I can't find much about this online that I understand, but its not surprising that a recovering addict would be prescribed an antidepressant. 

So, yea...right now I'm just hoping it was a bad mix of stuff he was supposed to take

• Like 3

Contrary to that belief, a lot of former heroin addicts are prescribed opioids, like a buprenorphine patch, or methadone to prevent a dangerous relapse.

Benzos and antidepressants, common for anyone with anxiety and depression. Sadly, benzos depress the CNS which can be dangerous when mixed with other things, even alcohol.

This is apparently from their final performance together...his smile is contagious.

South America, best fans in the world. "Olé, olé, olé, olé, Taylooorrrrr, Taylorrrrr".

• Like 2

13 hours ago, METALMAN said:

I never really followed the Foo Fighters but I remember watching that drum lesson Taylor Hawkins did for BBC radio a few years ago. He came across as a very nice guy and a cracking drummer. What a shame.

This is the one, right?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daddy Magic JasonM said:

This is the one, right?

I loved that. This is Rolling Stone's last interview with him...it's hard to read some of it in retrospect. He talks about his relationship with his son, having an enlarged heart, stage fright, the gap in touring causes by the pandemic, avoids discussion of his overdose, his unique brotherhood with Dave, the sheer physical toll of shows, etc.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/taylor-hawkins-interview-foo-fighters-dave-grohl-nirvana-drumming-1327228/