FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

13 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Maybe Canadians or Mexicans.

Why did I read this like Mick Foley and TLC....

Americans, Canadians and Mexicans, Oh my! 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, METALMAN said:

Well, you see, I’m not a narrow minded nationalist like you lot, so my enjoyment of the World Cup is not predicated on whether the team representing the little patch of land that I happened to be born on qualified for the tournament or not.

Euro 2008 was brilliant. I can't imagine it'd have been as fun to watch if England qualified.

8 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Given that it lacks the 'lions and tigers and bears' cadence, I have no clue.

Yanks and Canucks and... I'm struggling to think of a slang term for Mexicans that isn't a racist pejorative.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's just a weird, weird build up. Happening in the middle of the club season instead of a few weeks after it concludes. Everyone is already emotionally invested in and following their club season, there's no break to get in the mood for the World Cup. Not to mention it happening once the weather cools down takes away a huge community aspect of watching matches together in a massive park (not applicable everywhere). And lastly you have the steady drip of reminders of what has gone on in preparing for this World Cup.

Not particularly impactful for most people but the World Cup running head-to-head with the end of the college football regular season and the fucking NFL here in the US is, no matter what you want to say, a mismatch. Especially the NFL following Thanksgiving when the season reaches a crescendo. At least the World Cup and NFL only clash on a handful of Sundays and the final ends right before the start of games on Dec 18. But, man, it's going to be weird as hell and I'm sure impacts how much interest it carries here.

On 12/09/2022 at 08:17, fourstarfizzle said:

If Michael Sheen's rally cry for Wales' World Cup run isn't used in some promotional form, they're fools. What a speech.

That gave me such goosebumps. Wales to win it all!

20 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

It's hard to believe this is only a couple of months away. I've never known a World Cup carry less hype than this one.

It has to be one of FIFA's biggest mistakes. I hope Qatar get hammered in every game and don't even score a goal.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I figured given the smaller size of Qatar that airfare there would just be impossible to find between Nov and Dec, but it appears that may not be the case based on this notification I got from a cheap airfare site I follow. Wonder why people aren't lining up to go to a place where they can't drink freely and with a dreadful human rights record.

https://www.secretflying.com/posts/fifa-world-cup-2022-european-cities-to-doha-qatar-from-only-e294-roundtrip/

• Haha 1