Summer Transfer Window 2022

Lineker

To be fair most fans of the big clubs outside of their cities or the UK are generally chasing glory of some kind. You don't see a lot of Watford fans across the pond but do see a lot of Arsenal. At least with City there was the ironic "other Manchester team" and "Oasis likes them" stuff that built a small level of fandom in the 00s. Then they happened to win their first ever PL title in the most incredible of fashions and to someone not in the loop with takeovers, etc that's a pretty charming way to find a club you want to support.

Truth be told though, someone just hopping on board now likely doesn't have the loyalty to make it through any lean periods. They'd just become like all the Arsenal fans over here I suppose, bitter fans who magically have a Spanish club that happens to be Barcelona and a German club that happens to be Bayern Munich.

Hell I picked Newcastle because their last season qualifying for the Champions League was the first season I closely followed the PL. Figured I had a lot of great seasons and titles ahead of me.

I'll never get the hatred fans from overseas get about supporting the big teams, especially if they started watching before following everything their team does online is a thing. I've been a fan of Liverpool from around 1999 and Michael Owen was incredible, when they sucked and Man Utd were winning everything. Yet I've been called a glory chaser and that I will never be a "real" Liverpool fan until I go to Anfield or something.

In Ireland, historically Liverpool and Man United have had big followings IIRC. As well as Leeds and Arsenal and Celtic.

Pretty likely to see a Barcelona or Real shirt more than any club after that. Possibly a PSG one in recent years.

Ive seen some spurs replica shirts in the wild. Im not sure ive seen anyone in a Man City one.

To be fair, when I worked at a Goals Soccer Centre there were kids wearing Man City (and the European teams @Hobo mentions) shirts as often as you'd see them wearing Man Utd and Arsenal shirts in the early 00s. Liverpool have maintained a fairly consistent presence, as well as Spurs for being the nearest consistently Premier League team.

I knew one pre-money Man City fan while I was at high school, not sure why he supported them though.

I got into football as a little kid around the turn of the century and nigh on every kid was a Man Utd fan, because they won everything.

There were a good few Leeds fans (nearest "big" club at the time) and then the next most prominent was probably Newcastle (a lot of pit village kids whose parents or grandparents were from the North East).

I certainly never knew any Spurs or Man City fans until I was an adult, and Chelsea only started popping up after Abramovich arrived.

I think a lot of it comes down to geographical and I think it's changed now with kids as it's more player focused rather then teams. When we were younger it was more focused on teams so you'd get people wearing the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and United (these are the ones I came across more)

You see kids these days with Messi/Ronaldo/Neymar kits from PSG/Madrid/Barca/Juve.

When I was a kid it was mainly the team you or your family supported. I had Liverpool, England and Wigan kits growing up

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

When I was a kid it was mainly the team you or your family supported. I had Liverpool, England and Wigan kits growing up.

Same upbringing but a house divided, red Scouse mum, Wiganer Dad (who supported United), but living Bootle I went with the smart choice. Rather than Wigan kits, we settled on Wigan Warriors.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

I think a lot of it comes down to geographical and I think it's changed now with kids as it's more player focused rather then teams. When we were younger it was more focused on teams so you'd get people wearing the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and United (these are the ones I came across more)

You see kids these days with Messi/Ronaldo/Neymar kits from PSG/Madrid/Barca/Juve.

When I was a kid it was mainly the team you or your family supported. I had Liverpool, England and Wigan kits growing up

Good point that, when I was coaching kids summer camps there were a lot of Messi/Ronaldo/Neymar shirts for their respective clubs or country. When I was a kid, I did have a Rivaldo Barca top but it was more like Barca were a European novelty rather than a team I actually followed.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fourstarfizzle said:

Same upbringing but a house divided, red Scouse mum, Wiganer Dad (who supported United), but living Bootle I went with the smart choice. Rather than Wigan kits, we settled on Wigan Warriors.

My dad's side of the family were all Scouse and Liverpool fans. My mum's side is from Yorkshire/Newcastle so my grandad was a Leeds fan and followed Newcastle but my mum became a red through my dad. 

Cousins from my dad's side lived in Wigan so I used to go see them play sometimes for like £2 when Roy Carrol, Roberto Martinez and Stuart Barlow used to play for them. 

Historically here, it is English teams with Irish players or areas where irish migrants tended to go.

Theres not as much of a supporting local club thing unless you're in a place that has a football club of any note.

But we also have GAA which takes up the bulk of the role football clubs would have had for towns in England.

Theres probably a greater tradition in Dublin where theres a heap of football clubs all in one place of supporting local teams. Or other places with league of Ireland Clubs.

• Like 1

My mums side of the family are from Liverpool and my great uncle worked for them so he’d send me stuff as a kid.

My dad was from London and was an Arsenal fan, but he went to QPR a lot as it was cheaper.

Of all the people on my mums side of the family, she for no reason is an Everton fan and my brother for what I can only assume is glory is a Man Utd fan, but he doesn’t and never really did care about football.

50 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Theres probably a greater tradition in Dublin where theres a heap of football clubs all in one place of supporting local teams. Or other places with league of Ireland Clubs.

It's just my short experience but I haven't seen anyone with an irish club shirt in the 3 years I've lived there and there were 5 Dublin clubs in their premier league or whatever it was called at the time. It was mostly GAA, Liverpool and Celtic with a bit of Man U thrown in.

4 hours ago, METALMAN said:

You shouldn’t be allowed to support a football team unless you have lived within 10km of their ground for at least five years.

Do people who live within 10km of multiple stadiums (Liverpool, Nottingham, London, etc) get to choose their team or are they forced to support the nearest team in this scenario? I feel sorry for people whose biggest club in that catchment area play at the 11th level of the football pyramid, which is certainly the case in some areas of Norfolk.

4 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

Yes, this is a good point. The PSG shirts only popped up at Goals when Neymar moved there and Juventus shirts started appearing when Ronaldo signed for them.

16 minutes ago, Naitch said:

Do people who live within 10km of multiple stadiums (Liverpool, Nottingham, London, etc) get to choose their team or are they forced to support the nearest team in this scenario? I feel sorry for people whose biggest club in that catchment area play at the 11th level of the football pyramid, which is certainly the case in some areas of Norfolk.

Yes, some people get to choose and others will only have an 11th tier team. That’s too bad but it doesn’t really matter because if you’re doing football properly it’s about community rather than winning stuff.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, METALMAN said:

because if you’re doing football properly it’s about community rather than winning stuff.

What if it's Milton Keynes and the team should never have been there in the first place?

4 hours ago, Malenko said:

It's just my short experience but I haven't seen anyone with an irish club shirt in the 3 years I've lived there and there were 5 Dublin clubs in their premier league or whatever it was called at the time. It was mostly GAA, Liverpool and Celtic with a bit of Man U thrown in.

The greatest evidence of league of Ireland support tends to be stickers on lampposts as far as i can see.

Ive seen a couple of Bohemians shirts in the wild. Maybe a Shamrock Rovers one or two. I do know someone who owns a cork city jersey as well.

I had a teacher at school who was a  big bohs fan and would wear their merchandise from time to time.