What are your "Perfect Albums"?

Lint

On 11/06/2022 at 01:50, Krabby said:

The Gorillaz - Plastic Beach 

Came very close to making my list, and I have the iTunes deluxe version. But couldn't pull the trigger, because Glitter Freeze is one of my least favorite Gorillaz songs.

Ten by Pearl Jam

Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star by Black Star

Random Access Memories by Daft Punk

Picaresque by The Decemberists

Songs of Love and Hate by Leonard Cohen

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel

Somewhere in the Between by Streetlight Manifesto

Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan

On 24/07/2022 at 05:07, RazorsEdgingale said:

Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star by Black Star

Somewhere in the Between by Streetlight Manifesto

Oohh I forgot about Black Star.  That was a great album, though Mos Def and Talib Kweli individually put out great albums.

For me, Streetlight Manifesto's re-recording of Keasbey Nights is on the list.  Just much improved from the Catch 22 version

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lint said:

Oohh I forgot about Black Star.  That was a great album, though Mos Def and Talib Kweli individually put out great albums.

For me, Streetlight Manifesto's re-recording of Keasbey Nights is on the list.  Just much improved from the Catch 22 version

It was a toss up for me between Somewhere In The Between and Keasbey Nights. SITB was their first album I listened to in full so I think it sentimentally wins for me.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2022 at 06:54, RazorsEdgingale said:

It was a toss up for me between Somewhere In The Between and Keasbey Nights. SITB was their first album I listened to in full so I think it sentimentally wins for me.

Kinda the same for me.  I loved Keabey Nights by Catch-22, but hearing it done again by Streetlight was...perfection

• Like 1

I'll answer slightly differently - when I find a double album I even remotely like enough to warrant re-listens, I always listen to them in one-go. I treat them more as a singular suite than a single album for whatever reason. So Stadium Arcadium by RHCP and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by Smashing Pumpkins are up there as my favourite albums anyway, but others like Opposites by Biffy Clyro or In Your Honour by Foo Fighters (despite the two discs being thematically different... okay it's the Foo Fighters, not that different) are only broken out for long car journeys.

Thank Christ I never got into Use Your Illusion I and II.

• IDOL changed the title to What are your "Perfect Albums"?

Bob Dylan - Desire (A combination of great instrumentation, melodies, and storytelling. The violin of Scarlett Rivera adds an exotic feel to the album, while Emmylou Harris on backing vocals is a wonderful contrast to Dylan's voice. Many classic songs: Hurricane, Isis, One More Cup of Coffee, Black Diamond Bay, Sara).

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (There's this strange otherworldly sound to Dylan's music on this album, aided by a haunting organ, that is hard to find anywhere else. The lyrics are often absurdist but also at times beautiful, e.g. 'with your silhouette when the sunlight dims, into your eyes where the moonlight swims'. Visions of Johanna is a masterpiece of using sound and lyrics to convey the atmosphere of a place, while I Want You conveys the joy of falling in love.)

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (The instrumentation alone is absolutely gorgeous, just listening to the backing tracks is a treat. Add the harmonies and it becomes richly layered and a joy to listen to. I like how it starts with the optimism of a new relationship 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' and slowly becomes more pessimistic until the end 'Caroline, No'.)

Yazoo - Upstairs at Eric's (The warm voice of Alison Moyet and the cold electric sounds of Vince Clarke make for a nice contrast, and there are a succession of great songs here including Only You, Don't Go, Situation, and Moyet's vocal performance on Midnight stands out).

On 02/09/2022 at 16:49, White Castle of Fear said:

Yazoo - Upstairs at Eric's (The warm voice of Alison Moyet and the cold electric sounds of Vince Clarke make for a nice contrast, and there are a succession of great songs here including Only You, Don't Go, Situation, and Moyet's vocal performance on Midnight stands out).

Yazoo are so excellent. Moyet is a world class vocalist and Clarke is exceptional.  

• Like 1