Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

4 hours ago, FLiam said:

Seen that Paul Tierney is the ref for our game tomorrow. 

He's literally from Old Trafford. Surely there should be a rule against that? There is in La Liga iirc.

There is a rule but I think it's more to do with who they claim to support than region. Mike Dean used to ref Everton games and he's from the Wirral. Think he even reffed the Merseyside derby a few times.

Yeah it's done based on who you label as the team you support. Naturally referees will tend to try and find the nearest and smallest club to them to put down as their team. I don't doubt that some do support these teams of course but law of averages would have you finding a lot more supporters of big clubs in the referees list than there are.

Talking about 'the use of VAR' is missing the point.

The 'use of VAR' is up for debate in questions like... how far back in time due they review prior to a goal, or the whole 'red vs. yellow card' issue. I.E. the limits of how and when it should be used.

When we're talking about reviewing whether a GK was or wasn't fouled 3 seconds before the ball hit the net, that's unquestionably appropriate use of VAR - if you're going to have VAR at all, that is.

The thing they need to review is whether the officials have a fucking clue how to distinguish what is or isn't a foul, regardless of whether it's in real-time or slow-motion replay.

VAR didn't negate the goal Manchester United scored against Liverpool in this EXACT same scenario a few years back. So I'm naturally not surprised at all that VAR is now going to overturn this Arsenal goal vs Man United. Because VAR has ZERO fucking consistency.

Surely if a referee was a professional they would be able to referee any game, even if a team he supports is playing in it? After all, you don’t see players being on the bench when they play a team they support because they’re worried they’ll turn around and boot the ball in their own net. (And if that were the case Robbie Keane would have played very few games in his career.) 

Also it happens in cricket.

1 hour ago, MadJack said:

To be fair to Mike Dean, there's videos of him going mental about Tranmere Rovers.

And I'm not sure whether its true or just the internet making shit up, but apparently his kids are Liverpool season ticket holders?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FLiam said:

That was so soft it’s unreal.

Two referees from Manchester giving them a favourable decision. I’m shocked. 

It was soft but what decided it was Odegaard getting none of the ball til Eriksen was on the ground.

So good to see Antony making an impact on his debut too.

Happy enough with that half, can see their quality.

Also see why they disallowed the goal, but I'd feel hard done by if it was the other way around. Soft as shite.

50 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

Surely if a referee was a professional they would be able to referee any game, even if a team he supports is playing in it? After all, you don’t see players being on the bench when they play a team they support because they’re worried they’ll turn around and boot the ball in their own net. (And if that were the case Robbie Keane would have played very few games in his career.) 

Also it happens in cricket.

I think you are right in terms of professionalism.

But, the optics of it may not look great, and you’ll have a hard time convincing a stadium full of fans that there isn’t some kind of agenda at play if a decision is made by a referee who supports a team, which benefits that team. God knows you can barely convince some fans that there isn’t a grand conspiracy now, as is. Seems like something which is more hassle than it is worth.

• Like 1

If anything I think there's potentially the risk of a ref giving decisions to the other side to seem unbiased. Football is far more subjective than cricket in terms of how much contact, use of the arms etc so I think it makes sense to keep it simple.